The Kitchen Safe - time lock for treats and other goodies!

Options
13»

Replies

• OhSayNow
    OhSayNow Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have one, and I love it! I have maintained an 80lb loss for about 2 years ( just now starting work on the last 15 or so) and feel that my portion control and will power with food are pretty good. That said, I will never be perfect, especially when it comes to chocolate. For a long time I simply did not keep it in the house, and was pretty good on the occasion that it was in the house, but that was rarely. Now I occasionally buy a bag of chocolates and have one serving with my morning coffee and then set the timer for 24 hours. I don't think about it once I lock it, and don't have trouble taking only one serving. I think it is a great tool for allowing yourself a small treat and I don't feel as though it will be detrimental to my long term success with managing my eating. Mine is currently full of candy I received as gifts around the holidays that I probably would have given away if I did not have the food safe.
  • JoJean12
    JoJean12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    frantzcr wrote: »
    I can see how this could be a helpful stepping stone to decrease sugar intake gradually but for long term success a person must develop the will power to say no to certain foods

I totally agree. Don't want to offend anyone who believes in not giving up all the junk food , but my belief is the only way to a healthy lifestyle change is to give up forever your problem foods. The foods that made you fat in the first place. Otherwise you will wind up repeating the cycle
  • Frelise
    Frelise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Haha, I was going to buy one for my mom on Christmas until I saw the price. I think it's genius and hilarious though. xD
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't see the point, as nothing prevents you from taking 10 cookies out at a time or something.
    This. Or just not putting the cookies in at all. IMO, if they can't control, then it's probably better not to have any cookies in the house at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I support anyone that wants to have as unhealthy a relationship with food as they want. Everyone that wants one should share contact info so they can get a group order discount. You should see if MFP and UA can brand them special. That'd be awesome way to encourage logging.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've seen it before and think it's a great idea. But I'd like a feature that would allow other people to access the food if desired, in addition to the countdown timer.

I prefer not to having junk food in the house at all, but that's not possible. I'm surrounded by food that others buy.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    I've seen it before and think it's a great idea. But I'd like a feature that would allow other people to access the food if desired, in addition to the countdown timer.

A workaround I saw in a review was to lock the item in another container, and keep the key in the kitchen safe. Another person could then have a spare key. But for the safe itself, there's no defeating the lock (other than smashing or otherwise damaging the container)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    The least they could do is make the safe opaque so you can't see the cookies. Or maybe they did that on purpose. It would make the likelihood of smashing it so you could get to the cookies more likely. Then you'd have to go out and buy another one. And then it would happen again and again. And by the end of the year, you've bought, like, five. A moneymaker.

This was my thought when I saw it.

No. I am slowly reintroducing foods that I have found challenging to control myself around. Ice cream has been going well for a few months. I brought in some nuts a few weeks ago. Today I brought home some cheesecake. That will be the big challenge. Worst case scenario, I'll be 340 calories over goal tonight :laugh:
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Dumbest. Idea. Ever.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I like the idea of being able to lock up a teenager's cell phone or game system controller when they're grounded but my kids are little so I've got some time before I have to worry about that!

They have found ways around this. You said your kids are little now but here is a heads up for when they get bigger-
    They have a duplicate cell phone and pop the sim card out of the first one and pop it into the second. They then can call the provider and have their service temporarily swapped to the other phone.

And they also buy cheapy controllers as back ups. So when the parent takes away the controller they use the back up ones.

Where there's a will, there's a way !! Lol !

And the same saying holds true for this lock box. If someone wants something badly , they will find a way to make it happen. If my cookies where locked up and I wanted one , I could just go buy more. Or if I really wanted to remain focused on my goals, I could control myself by using portion control and moderation so wouldn't need this device.
    The lock box is pointless

This takes me down memory lane. I took the power cords to the game system and locked them in the trunk of my car. I got an enraged phone call from my teenage son. Nothing I can do until I got home I told him. In the meantime maybe he would like to wrap up the undone chores that had got him in this pickle in the first place.

Almost as satisfying as overhearing two young men trying to get replacement drivers licenses after an officer confiscated theirs. They had racked up impressive speeding ticket fines. They tried begging; they didn't have the money and they needed the ID to go drinking. Heh heh heh.

I'll use any gadget if it helps. After all, I've used MFP to more easily track calories.

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I like the idea of being able to lock up a teenager's cell phone or game system controller when they're grounded but my kids are little so I've got some time before I have to worry about that!

They have found ways around this. You said your kids are little now but here is a heads up for when they get bigger-
    They have a duplicate cell phone and pop the sim card out of the first one and pop it into the second. They then can call the provider and have their service temporarily swapped to the other phone.

And they also buy cheapy controllers as back ups. So when the parent takes away the controller they use the back up ones.

Where there's a will, there's a way !! Lol !

And the same saying holds true for this lock box. If someone wants something badly , they will find a way to make it happen. If my cookies where locked up and I wanted one , I could just go buy more. Or if I really wanted to remain focused on my goals, I could control myself by using portion control and moderation so wouldn't need this device.
    The lock box is pointless

This takes me down memory lane. I took the power cords to the game system and locked them in the trunk of my car. I got an enraged phone call from my teenage son. Nothing I can do until I got home I told him. In the meantime maybe he would like to wrap up the undone chores that had got him in this pickle in the first place.

Almost as satisfying as overhearing two young men trying to get replacement drivers licenses after an officer confiscated theirs. They had racked up impressive speeding ticket fines. They tried begging; they didn't have the money and they needed the ID to go drinking. Heh heh heh.

I'll use any gadget if it helps. After all, I've used MFP to more easily track calories.

Touché :)
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I recently bought two of these. I haven't locked food in it (yet). I locked my mobile and (the power supply) to my computer away so that I could clean the house without distractions. My house hasn't been this clean in ages. In the other safe I currently have my credit cards and money locked away.. For me, it is much easier to make a commitment in advance and lock the device. That way I can get on with whatever I need to do (cleaning, saving cash etc) without having to constantly battle distraction and temptation. I like it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I did buy one but haven't used it yet. The battery has been put in and everything, it's ready to go. I got it after demolishing a pack of cookies within a few hours. I got the cookies from a friend who had ignored like four packs of them for weeks if not months. Why me.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't see the point, as nothing prevents you from taking 10 cookies out at a time or something.

Why stop at ten?

If I got into a that kind of mood and the safe was open, I'd take the whole pack. Or pint, or cake. Whatever. And if I were in that kind of mood and it was closed, I'd go out and buy 2-3 times what I actually want on impulse. So the safe might even make things worse for me.

Now, I'm fortunate. I don't have 'eat all the things' moments hardly ever. And when I do, right after my stomach gets uncomfortable, I want to stop so the overeating is never too bad. Plus, then I don't eat feel like eating much the next day so it's kind of self-correcting. So no reason to even think I should try such a thing.

I get it could work well for others, though.