Is 30-40 minutes exercise enough?

Options
2»

Replies

• sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    napilibay wrote: »
    I'm 168, 5'5 and do about 30-40 min cardio dvds 5x week. I typically burn 400 calories with my polar, and eat 1200-1500. My weight loss is extremely slow and wondering if I need to exercise longer?

That means you're netting 800-1100 calories a day. That's too low. Your numbers aren't right. You're probably not weighing and measuring your food properly. You should be losing at the least 1-2lb a week.

Your exercise is fine.

Yep, Springfield is right. It's in your calories counted. I'm 5'2 currently 163, down 5lbs in less than 3 weeks. I'm losing at 1-1.5 a week. but I am exercising heavier than you, but I'm also taking in my calories. You gotta count everything including ketchup and mayo. I just realized yesterday how much a tablespoon of the margarine I was using equaled...I quickly threw it away!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm 168, 5'5 and do about 30-40 min cardio dvds 5x week. I typically burn 400 calories with my polar, and eat 1200-1500. My weight loss is extremely slow and wondering if I need to exercise longer?
    If you want to lose faster you need to exercise longer or eat less, regardless of your measuring precision.

400 calories sounds a little high for a 30-40 min. cardio DVD for someone your size. 400 for 40 mins sounds feasible IF you're working near the top of your zone that whole time. About 10 calories per minute is a common max burn estimate for most people who aren't obese. A Polar is just an estimator like anything else. You can keep using its estimates but it still comes down to moving more or eating less if you want faster losses.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options

That means you're netting 800-1100 calories a day. That's too low. Your numbers aren't right. You're probably not weighing and measuring your food properly. You should be losing at the least 1-2lb a week.

Your exercise is fine.

This
  • napilibay
    napilibay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I've been pretty diligent, but will watch even closer and try eating a tad more.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    you lose weight in the kitchen, not the gym.

if you are only losing .5 a week (which is still a good rate of loss, by the way) on 1200 cals, i would wager you are eating more than you think you are.
    You lose weight by creating a caloric deficit.

• bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm measuring to a t and losing half a pound per week.

Same with me! Though you are doing more cardio than I am. I have only been doing 20 min 5 days a week. Maybe I should increase? I think what you are doing sounds like a good, healthy amount. Weight loss is such a slow process.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I've been pretty diligent, but will watch even closer and try eating a tad more.
    Eating more is fine but it's not going to make you lose faster, and I doubt the amount you're eating now is too low for general health, at your loss rate. Good luck!

• michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    you lose weight in the kitchen, not the gym.

if you are only losing .5 a week (which is still a good rate of loss, by the way) on 1200 cals, i would wager you are eating more than you think you are.
    You lose weight by creating a caloric deficit.

I believe that's what she meant by this