Why eat healthy/nutritious food?

Options
Starting my journey so have been reading the forums and learning a lot about calories in, calories out. Basically my understanding is that a 100 calorie candy bar is equivalent to a 100 calorie apple in terms of weight loss.

So what are the reasons to choose food that is less processed/lower in sodium/whole foods/veggies/etc?

In tandem with my calorie counting, I have been doing more cooking from scratch/lowering sodium intake/lowering fat intake and so on. From what I am learning, the positive aspects of doing this are:

- nutritious food often leaves me feeling fuller between meals (eg a bowl of chickpeas vs a donut)
- less sodium is better for my heart
- nutrients matter for my body's overall health.

Replies

• JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    your body pulls nutrients from the food you eat. That apple has fiber, and Vit C which helps the body absorb iron and helps with cell repair and helps the body's immune system
  • jotough
    jotough Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question! More bulk generally leaves you feeling fuller. Also a 100 cal candy bar will me gone an about 3 seconds if your anything like me and leave me wanting more sweet stuff. Same with salt....more you have the more you want!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The beauty of calorie counting is that I can eat both the apple and the candy bar. :wink:
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    If I eat a candy bar (250 cal or so) I'm tired and feel like cr@p, and hungry again in an hour. If I eat the same calories in eggs, cheese, veggies, I'm full for hours and I feel good and energetic.

That's enough reason for me.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I aim for a good macro and micro balance and about 80% of my calories for nutrient dense foods with 20% going to whatever I wish.

I'm losing weight in a way that's sustainable for me. I'm not giving up anything that I'm not willing to give up forever.

I'm not going balls to the wall and changing up everything about my diet. Personal experience has shown that that will lead me to regaining all of the weight I lose plus some.

I'm using this weight loss time to learn how to work my foods into a balanced and overall healthful diet.

I only eat foods I like. I don't eat foods I don't like. I've substituted some foods that I like with other foods that I also like that are more nutrient dense. I refuse to waste my calorie budget on "healthy" foods that I don't like.

I moderate calorie dense foods. If I find a food that I can't moderate, I only buy single-serving portions of it.

I drink some of my calories. I drink a lot of water too but I'm not willing to give up on caloried drinks.

Everyone needs to find their own way and experiment to see what works for them long term. I barely feel like I'm in weight loss mode because I'm still eating close to the way I've always eaten. Portion control is my area of concentration.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Everybody has the correct answer!

A nutritious, varied diet including a lot of fresh food gives me energy, keeps me full and satisfied. I have less anxiety and more "zen". Cooking from scratch, and not skimping on fat, is fun and rewarding. Meal planning has become a hobby, regular meals creates the predictability and stability I need. Calorie counting lets me decide what I want to spend my calories on. That is so liberating - I can eat anything! Ironically, that has taught me to make better food choices overall, in terms of both quality and quantity - so I don't even have to count calories anymore. I'm looking forward to eating now, real food tastes great, and I'm no longer a slave to cravings for hyperprocessed junk food.
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    ill regret wasting the calories on a small candy bar, feel more energetic if i chose the apple, also my skin clears up if i cut out the crap.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    nutrient dense foods are more bang for your buck - I often forget about micronutrients. I am going to incorporate more in my diet
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    ill regret wasting the calories on a small candy bar, feel more energetic if i chose the apple, also my skin clears up if i cut out the crap.
    I used to mindlessly eat. Now I enjoy the candy rather than just eating it and then forgetting that I ate it. I don't regret it at all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Because it's healthy/nutritious. :p
    That said, it must also be delicious!
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For me to prevent illness. I am focusing on eating food that helps my body function, heal and provide it with vitamins, minerals and fuel etc
    In turn this means I am satisfied and don't get weird cravings for crap as I have what I need and I'm full.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Because it's better fuel for my body, I feel better when I'm eating in a nutritious way and it's yum.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I value health more than weight loss.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Because weight loss and health/nutrition are two very separate things. Sure, you can lose weight by just eating a certain amount of calories in candy, but your health will go to hell and you'll be deficient in all sorts of nutrients. You'll also likely be hungry and very damn sick of candy.
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I eat whole, non-processed foods which are nutrient & vitamin rich. I don't want to eat things that have 10-12 syllables or things I cannot pronounce. You can lose weight eating McD's, donuts or a Snickers, but I know I won't be healthy or will feel well eating that way. A high cacao chocolate once in a while is my "processed" food binge, granted I have a couple of squares and it satisfies me.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    elaineamj wrote: »
    Starting my journey so have been reading the forums and learning a lot about calories in, calories out. Basically my understanding is that a 100 calorie candy bar is equivalent to a 100 calorie apple in terms of weight loss.

So what are the reasons to choose food that is less processed/lower in sodium/whole foods/veggies/etc?

In tandem with my calorie counting, I have been doing more cooking from scratch/lowering sodium intake/lowering fat intake and so on. From what I am learning, the positive aspects of doing this are:

- nutritious food often leaves me feeling fuller between meals (eg a bowl of chickpeas vs a donut)
    - less sodium is better for my heart
    - nutrients matter for my body's overall health.

Those are basically the reasons, although I will add - sodium really only matters for heart health if you have high blood pressure. For those whose blood pressure is normal, sodium and potassium have no measurable impact.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    People tend to get caught up in extremes thinking it has to be one or the other (either you eat nothing but whole, unprocessed foods or you eat nothing but donuts and Doritos). I think, as others have said, the best solution for weight loss and health is to try to balance the two. Focusing on nutrient dense foods, not getting hung up on labels, and still eating treats when calories allow. This will give you the nutrition, the satiety, and the enjoyment to be able to make this a lifestyle change and not a short term means to an end or something so restrictive that you're doomed to fail.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Why not?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Because I budget my calories like I budget my money. I prefer to spend 300 calories in grains, fruits, cheese, yogurt, salads, lean protein and/or an occasional glass of wine rather than in fast foods, cakes, cookies, candies, donuts or chocolates. My preference, my health, my choice. And because I don't have a sweet tooth and because I am picky.
  • GRILLZGIRL
    GRILLZGIRL Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    I aim for a good macro and micro balance and about 80% of my calories for nutrient dense foods with 20% going to whatever I wish.

I'm losing weight in a way that's sustainable for me. I'm not giving up anything that I'm not willing to give up forever.

I'm not going balls to the wall and changing up everything about my diet. Personal experience has shown that that will lead me to regaining all of the weight I lose plus some.

I'm using this weight loss time to learn how to work my foods into a balanced and overall healthful diet.

I only eat foods I like. I don't eat foods I don't like. I've substituted some foods that I like with other foods that I also like that are more nutrient dense. I refuse to waste my calorie budget on "healthy" foods that I don't like.

I moderate calorie dense foods. If I find a food that I can't moderate, I only buy single-serving portions of it.

I drink some of my calories. I drink a lot of water too but I'm not willing to give up on caloried drinks.

Everyone needs to find their own way and experiment to see what works for them long term. I barely feel like I'm in weight loss mode because I'm still eating close to the way I've always eaten. Portion control is my area of concentration.

This!! If I want something, I've learned to work it in and balance it with good stuff. Great post.