Hypothyroidism

Hypothyroidism is kicking my butt when it comes to my diet and exercise regimen. I'm 23 (was diagnosed when I was VERY young). I have been sticking to my diet and gym schedule and I see NO results...it is so frustrating and it takes away from my motivation. I am working on losing another 35 pounds and I can't seem to make my scale budge...please tell me someone else is having this problem and I'm not alone. Lol.

Replies

• blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member

I just turned 24 and I too have hypothyroidism. I developed it six years ago after being pregnant with my daughter (apparently a common time to get it).

Your scale isn't moving but how about waist/arm/hip measurements? Those may be getting smaller, and that would be a motivator!

I'm 5'3" and now 182lbs :[ My weight wasn't a big problem til about a year and a half ago, and now I'm really struggling too. I remember before being hypothyroid losing 4 pounds in the first week! My ultimate goal is 130ish, but I'm trying baby steps first. I honestly don't eat a lot, but I do eat a lot of beef and tortillas (fat protein and carbs - my husband is latino and cooks a lot which makes dieting hard!). I think winter depression is also contributing to my lack of motivation right now.

What kind of diet are you on? I did some looking around online and found some recommending the paleo diet as the best for people with hypothyroid and that your body kicks into starvation mode a LOT easier and quicker than someone without hypothyroid. I may try to transition to that. In general I'm just trying to eat fresh, low carb, a lot of veggies and fruits.

As far as exercising I've been doing two Jillian Michael's dvd's (yay! shes a motivation with hypothyroidism, right?) a day which should at minimum be buring 550-700 calories according to my HR monitor. When it gets warmer I hope I can get my butt up to run a few times a week.

I'm just starting out, again, so I'm sorry I don't have much success advice. I know I'm gonna need support from others to stick with it.
  • I'm right there with you girl. As far as my diet...just lots of greens, lean meat, fruits, and a little whole grains. I go to the gym with my husband Monday through Friday for about 2 hours at a time. I guess my measurements are shrinking slightly. Lol. I never paid much attention to that. After having my son via c-section almost a year ago my tummy is my big problem area so I'm just taking it day by day and one workout at a time. My one year wedding anniversary is coming up in March so that is my current motivation to drop some weight for our honeymoon vacation (we didn't get to have a honeymoon because our little boy was 2 months premature and we needed to be home.) Best of luck and lots of well wishes for your journey!

Becca