Post your positive gym experiences! Everyone gets gymtimidated at the start, but...

Options
I have had so many great experiences since I joined a gym. I didn't pick a super cheap, super crowded gym, and I searched for awhile to find one that I thought would be a good fit. I chose the one that I did because the staff was friendly when I toured it, you got 3 free 30 minute personal training sessions so I had a dedicated time to learn how to use the machines or to properly lift free weights, they had classes running all day that were included, and they had a Kids Klub that I could drop my Littles off at while I worked out. I still rang my hands through the whole tour and my heart still pounded (before I even went up the stairs) on my first day... but it has been the best decision I've made for myself in a long time.

So to help motivate and support our friends who might be intimidated to make the first step in adding physical fitness into their lives, share your positive stories!

Replies

• TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've had many of them. I will share a few of my favorite.

I was working out off to the side in one of the studio rooms since there were no classes running. Another lady was in there and she was rolling out her muscles on the foam roller. She stops for a second and says, "Were you here yesterday working out on the elliptical by chance?" I said that Had been and she said, "I was really impressed with how hard you were working! You must come here every day then?"

This woman does iron man events and really is there every day and it felt really good that someone like her would look at me and think I was doing a great job. I feel like my biggest worry was always that all these fit people would be looking at me like I was taking up a machine someone else could be using. Or they would be thinking about how awful I look when I workout or any number of other negative things, but the reality is that if you're working hard to fix yourself, there are a lot of people that are looking on at you in respect rather than judgment. <3
  • TheChrissyT
    Options
    Today when I was done working out, a very fit man asked me how my workout was and if I was making gains. I'm more tickled about this than I should be, but it feels good that a bro didn't even have to ask if I lift :o And for the first time in my life, I got to discuss my gains in the gym. :D<3
  • Grrlonamission94
    Grrlonamission94 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I started gym, the moment I walked in I got a lot of stares and looks, I'm a practicing Muslim and was wearing a hijab but otherwise dressed in loose gym wear, I live in a v diverse area so I didn't understand what the looks were for!

I stopped soon after as it seemed quite unfriendly, I have lost 31.4 lbs since then but I'm thinking of joining again as it's only a 2 minute walk from home. I did enjoy my time there, the different equipment was fun and I liked seeing all the fit people around me as it was rather motivating!
  • abijones75
    abijones75 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love my gym! I was a little nervous on my first day but at the end of my session I was having problems with my locker padlock ( I hadn't set it right, doh!) So I grabbed a trainer who helped me and he turned out be really lovely. I now have 1 to 1 sessions with him for an hour each week and I have found having that point of contact has given me confidence and my nervousness has disappeared. I visit the gym 5 or 6 times a week, I've been doing various classed Inc legs bums n tums, spin, circuits, abs as well as using the equipment, and best of all I'm seeing results!
  • TheChrissyT
    Options
    When I started gym, the moment I walked in I got a lot of stares and looks, I'm a practicing Muslim and was wearing a hijab but otherwise dressed in loose gym wear, I live in a v diverse area so I didn't understand what the looks were for!

I stopped soon after as it seemed quite unfriendly, I have lost 31.4 lbs since then but I'm thinking of joining again as it's only a 2 minute walk from home. I did enjoy my time there, the different equipment was fun and I liked seeing all the fit people around me as it was rather motivating!

I'm sorry that happened! A lot of that probably stems from the negative light and bias the media propagates. Maybe getting to know some people there, or just happily striving to meet your own goals regardless could change their perspectives and lives forever. I hope that you do go, and I hope you are treated the way that you deserve.
  • TheChrissyT
    Options
    abijones75 wrote: »
    I love my gym! I was a little nervous on my first day but at the end of my session I was having problems with my locker padlock ( I hadn't set it right, doh!) So I grabbed a trainer who helped me and he turned out be really lovely. I now have 1 to 1 sessions with him for an hour each week and I have found having that point of contact has given me confidence and my nervousness has disappeared. I visit the gym 5 or 6 times a week, I've been doing various classed Inc legs bums n tums, spin, circuits, abs as well as using the equipment, and best of all I'm seeing results!

YES! Sometimes it's all about having one friendly connection to start.

I am a fairly outgoing person, but when it came to the gym I was ridiculously shy! I didn't want to talk to anyone, I could not make eye contact to save my life, and I couldn't approach any exercise with confidence. When I finally got the courage to take one of the classes, I got up the nerve to ask one of the older ladies in there which weights I should grab, and we have been gym friends ever since. Every time I see her now, she smiles and waves, and if I'm out in the weight room she comes and tells me how great I'm doing and good I'm looking. She's a little ray of sunshine and I am always happy to see her, even if it's just for a quick wave.
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options

I hope this isn't offensive or anything, but could you sign up for a women's only gym and take your hijab off? I have a Muslim friend that I used to live near, and she would take hers off at home or when there weren't any men around. Would that be an option for you?