Water retention from exercising for this long?

Since I started maintenance in September, I've been doing great. Until I added back in exercise. I was a heavy runner while losing my postpartum weight and had to stop when I went back to work. (Coincidentally at the same time I hit maintenance.)
I started exercising again about two months ago and I gained back about 4-5 lbs which I attributed to water retention. But it didn't go down yet! My calories are within range but I'm trying extra hard now to log to make sure.
Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Did how you look change at all?
    Have you gained more weight or just the 4-5 pounds?

Honestly, at some point the scale sucks for measuring progress. Setting a goal based entirely on the number on the scale leads to disappointment for many. If what you see in the mirror is good and isn't getting worse, plus you aren't continually gaining, then it's not necessarily a bad thing that you gained a few pounds.
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    This is my exact story too. I keep thinking it will level off but it isn't. If I knew it was water I would be ok but I've read that after increased exercise you actually can gain fat and lose muscle. This is if your macros aren't in line and I'm afraid this is happening. Scared that is worked hard and it will all be for not
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Water retention may exist for many months depending on the inflammation and glycogen sheathing effect. Consider it your new norm and work from there.

If it bothers you - try this little experiment - eat low carbs (<50g/d) for 10 days - boom, you'll drop that sheathing effect pretty quickly and then gain it back once you eat normal again. If it drops quickly or rises quickly - it isn't fat.

Or don't worry about it. Stay true.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    looney9708 wrote: »
    This is my exact story too. I keep thinking it will level off but it isn't. If I knew it was water I would be ok but I've read that after increased exercise you actually can gain fat and lose muscle. This is if your macros aren't in line and I'm afraid this is happening. Scared that is worked hard and it will all be for not

If you are in a deficit you aren't gaining fat.
    If the deficit is too large AND you are exercising massively then yes, you might metabolise LBM and your fat percents will not go down as quickly (since you are losing some LBM). But in a cut, you are always losing fat.

Want to avoid that? Smaller deficits, slow loss, enough protein and a strength training program of some sort will keep LBM loss to a minimum. Track food, track exercise and keep deficits reasonable to 1-1.5% of bodyweight loss.
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member

If you are in a deficit you aren't gaining fat.
    If the deficit is too large AND you are exercising massively then yes, you might metabolise LBM and your fat percents will not go down as quickly (since you are losing some LBM). But in a cut, you are always losing fat.

Want to avoid that? Smaller deficits, slow loss, enough protein and a strength training program of some sort will keep LBM loss to a minimum. Track food, track exercise and keep deficits reasonable to 1-1.5% of bodyweight loss.

I am trying to maintain after a recent 20 pound loss. I was eating low carb and am trying to go from less than 50 carbs to a range of 50-80 daily and intense lifting and hiit. But in worried that in the end this combination will result in fat gain. Im going to decrease my carbs this week and dial my fitness down a bit just to see what happens. Thank you so much for your insight. It helps so much
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    I've found when I shake up my workouts I can retain water weight for a few weeks by up to 3lbs, it does eventually sort itself.
    It is disconcerting, its happened me lots of times and every time I think I am failing or doing something wrong - silly brain! but really its just water and it will go... :smile:
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Added note to the bit about water gains being driven by replenishing glycogen stores: your body's "full" point will shift with exercise.