wtf is water weight.

Options
always hated that crock of sht term.

do i just pee it out?

Replies

• QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You pee some of it out, some of it is poop. Some of it is food weight that's still in your stomach/digestive track. If you started a new exercise regime, your muscles hold onto water to heal themselves from the strenuous work.

It's not that surprising. The body is made up of around 60-70% (I can't remember the exact number) water.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    70% :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    water weight is weight gained from:

- sports related inflammation
    - glycogen sheathing the increase in glycogen storage (requires water)
    - other types of bloat (TOM, food related, salt)
    - actual oedema response to disease or drugs

Some of it you can influence by drinking more water - other types you just need to wait for it to pass.
    Eventually you do pee it out.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options

Thanks. :wink:
  • angelamichelle_xo
    edited January 2016
    Options
    drinking more water flushes out water weight?
    wtf again lolol. :open_mouth:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    water weight is weight gained from:

- sports related inflammation
    - glycogen sheathing the increase in glycogen storage (requires water)
    - other types of bloat (TOM, food related, salt)
    - actual oedema response to disease or drugs

Some of it you can influence by drinking more water - other types you just need to wait for it to pass.
    Eventually you do pee it out.

+1

Not sure why you think it's a crock term. It's the body's natural response. It adds weight to the scale, so hence water weight. It's a pretty accurate term. :)
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options

Yeah, that helps. Sometimes.

I mean, if I drink a glass of water I pee out much more than I drank... like 3 glasses :neutral: its confusing but true.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

There is no exact number and 70% is probably wrong (women hold less water per bodyweight percent than men because women normally have a higher percent fat content). The percent amount varies from 55%-70%. The more one is overweight, the lower that percent.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Usually you pee out your excess water as long as your kidneys are working like they should. Certain things can make your body hold onto water causing bloat and excess "water weight". When you're on your period, your body holds onto excess water. When you eat a lot of salt, it causes you to retain water. Also what Queen of Heart siad about the exercise. On the othe rhand things like caffeine and alcohol can make you pee more than usual and lose a pound or two of water weight. That's why your weight can vary by a couple of pounds from day to day, your body either gets rid of more water or holds onto more water from day to day depending on your diet, activity, part of your cycle, etc. Water weight is a real thing.
    If you feel like you're bloating and want to help flush it out, the best thing to do is drink lots of water and eat low-sodium foods.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    Options
    i love peeing.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options

There is no exact number and 70% is probably wrong (women hold less water per bodyweight percent than men because women normally have a higher percent fat content). The percent amount varies from 55%-70%. The more one is overweight, the lower that percent.

Makes sense, but yeah my point was a big part of the body is water.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Yes, the reason is that as you drink more your kidney will flush out salts as the salts go you then require less water to maintain proper osmolarity. This is part of the homeostasis function of kidneys. It keeps your heart (and brain) working properly as it maintains the salt balance needed for electrical signaling.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    Options
    okay, cool. thanks!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Yes, the reason is that as you drink more your kidney will flush out salts as the salts go you then require less water to maintain proper osmolarity. This is part of the homeostasis function of kidneys. It keeps your heart (and brain) working properly as it maintains the salt balance needed for electrical signaling.

This is a more interesting explanation than the "dehydrtaion mode" one (the water version of "starvation mode") which basically says that if you deny your body enough water, it will try to hold on to more of it because it thinks it will be going into a period of dehydration.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    Options
    ooooh, tysm.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

This is a more interesting explanation than the "dehydrtaion mode" one (the water version of "starvation mode") which basically says that if you deny your body enough water, it will try to hold on to more of it because it thinks it will be going into a period of dehydration.

Well, the body isn't forward thinking. It reacts to past and current states. It works to keep salt and water in the body at the right level.

If you are interested in this the ABPI has a great module explaining the anatomical and functional details of kidney - including osmosis, active transport and homeostasis:

http://www.abpischools.org.uk/page/modules/homeostasis_kidneys/.cfm?coSiteNavigation_allTopic=1

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Well, the body isn't forward thinking. It reacts to past and current states. It works to keep salt and water in the body at the right level.

If you are interested in this the ABPI has a great module explaining the anatomical and functional details of kidney - including osmosis, active transport and homeostasis:

http://www.abpischools.org.uk/page/modules/homeostasis_kidneys/.cfm?coSiteNavigation_allTopic=1

Already have a good understanding but thanks. (You notice I wasn't touting the "dehydration mode", just mentioning that it is the usual answer, or some variation of it is.)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I think this thread has stickie-potential.

@EvgeniZyntx - As always, great info. This is a common discussion point and "water weight" is often thrown out there in answer to an inexperienced person's question without any additional context. I think that's the "crock of sht" the OP was referencing.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Already have a good understanding but thanks. (You notice I wasn't touting the "dehydration mode", just mentioning that it is the usual answer, or some variation of it is.)

Yeah, posting for general audience and lurkers that might be interested.
    Kidney function was sort of a magical point in college where I began to get feedback loops - it is such a neat system. /physiology nerd
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think this thread has stickie-potential.

@EvgeniZyntx - As always, great info. This is a common discussion point and "water weight" is often thrown out there in answer to an inexperienced person's question without any additional context. I think that's the "crock of sht" the OP was referencing.

Truth. It is used as a blanket statement often enough.
    We really can't tell what is going on with a person so here... have this crock of sht to cover it.

Yet, it is a real thing. And often enough, it is probably what is going on.

Well, or cancer. You know, the reason why person x isn't losing weight is the massive tumor growing in their stomach. But that just seems a little bit less likely.
    (/sarcastic font)