The second, third, fourth....time around

Options
diwijo13
diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
This is my second time trying to lose weight. I used MFP in 2012 and lost 30 lbs. I then got discouraged and quit. Part of the discouragement was from looking in the mirror every time I passed by one and thinking "I'm still fat. Why hasn't my stomach gone down any?" Also, I weighed myself all the time and hated when my weight went up although I knew it could be related to salt and that it would probably go back down. So this time around I'm determined not to look in the mirror ALL the time (maybe half the time lol) or weigh myself EVERYDAY. My other scale broke and I was thinking of getting another one. If I do I'll probably ask my husband to hide it from me until I weigh myself--once a week. What are you determined to do or not to do this time around?

Replies

• cmjohnson53
    cmjohnson53 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've always had a case of mirror avoidance, most of my life I only checked it when I got ready in the morning (to the point of never regularly carrying a brush in my purse!). Now, the scale on the other hand, I guess I am entertained by checking it sometime 3-4 times a day, but at least morning and night. I use Happy Scale and only log the morning weights. I think the close examination has allowed me to identify causes of fluctuations and not freak out about them. As long as the trend is downward, I'm fine with it.
    I have lost 34 pounds since early Oct. and I think my determination to log everyday and exercise at least 5 times a week has been the key to my success. I've also identified salt as a Big cause of water retention for me and expect a weight increase after some meals, especially a stir fry when I use soy sauce (even the lite variety). So now I am in search of the flavor without the sodium content.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Not quit.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Yep...been there. Lost weight felt successful walked away came back , put on weight felt defeated walked away, put on more weight came back feeling worse, lose weight walk away, put on weight, put on more, now I'm back. I need to tell my husband to hide the scale too! lol
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Set goals other than weight loss. Such as improving your health and/or fitness level. Focusing on things like that can help you stay motivated and take the focus off the # on the scale.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have had far more than 2 times and the one thing I know for a fact is I will fail at times. I think I have learned to forgive myself and move on. I would never be as mean to another person as I am to myself. It is time to treat myself right.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Give yourself 6 months that you promise to weigh all your food and log accurately whether your weight goes down or not. Then try to stay within your allotted calories and live life. After a while it becomes second nature to throw the plate on the food scale and add your portions. Remember you can eat what ever you like, just not all in one day or at the quantities you previously did. I measure in grams as that is more accurate than ounces because it is a smaller unit. You can do this!
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I'm setting goals other than weight loss for myself, because I've gotten discouraged in the past when I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. This time around, I'm focusing more on overall health and getting more exercise. I'm feeling so much better, and I'm using feeling better as motivation to keep going.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Not quit.

THIS. Do not quit. I have been here since March 2014...almost 2 years. Stick with it. This isn't a diet for me..those on this site are next to family, so find some funny crazy interesting peeps to join this "NEW YOU" journey... this is about changing your eating habits/your activity levels for good!
  • chris_elizabeth
    chris_elizabeth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    diwijo13 I totally understand where you are coming from! I was in great shape - started tracking and using MFP years ago and was the best version of 'me' I have ever been. Job loss, relationship issues, all kinds of things seemed to all happen at the same time and I fell of the track. It was like life hit me and I couldnt get up. I have gained about 80 lbs and am now back on the road to health, it is so difficult to re-motivate when you have to "get back on track". Help and motivation is the biggest tool, doing things together makes this all that much easier :smiley:
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Get a scale that also measure your Body Fat Percentage, which is much more valuable.