Is eating under 600 calories good for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    not to mention eating so little and being malnourished can cause heart attacks or worse. a friend of ours who is a pastor. had a young lady whom he knew,had an eating disorder and she had a few heart attacks because she wasnt eating enough calories and she was under 25 at that. so no,if you value your life you will eat more than that.I have a family member who has an eating disorder and its not pretty what it does to your body.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Never.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have had a few friends tell me that they are only eating 600 calories a day. I want to lose weight but not at the risk of my body failing. So, does anyone know is this ok to do?

Your profile says you are 43, how old are your friends? This sounds like something teenage girls with eating disorders encourage. In short, no, 600 cal/day is not good.

When you set up your information here, how many calories/day did it give you?

ETA: I saw your update. No, that is way too low for your friend without medical supervision including regular blood work for monitoring, and appropriate supplementation to cover the lack of nutrition. As for you, a guy should be getting about 1500 cal minimum to make sure you are getting enough nourishment from your food. However, if your cardiologist and PCP are on board and are monitoring you, then hey, sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks. Good for you for trying to take control over your life, and for looking out for your friend!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    No, absolutely not. Diets that low in calories are only okay under the direct and constant supervision of a doctor who is trained in weight loss and nutrition.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I think if you have to ask then you already know the answer.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can get enough nutrients in only 600 calories. Maybe consult your doctor for a calorie limit? I default to MFP and am netting 1200 per day.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Doctors who do that when someone isn't morbidly obese are very shady. They are out there, but it should probably be illegal. Tell your friend to steer clear of that whole place. There are docs in Hollywood who will put thin women on very low cal feeding tubes to wear at home for a week or two, too, but that doesn't make it safe just because the con-man happens to have an MD. It's disturbing and greedy.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    So, while I was in school we learned about very low calorie diets (VLCD). They range from 400-800 calories. They are effective (obviously) for quick weight loss, but are physiologically like starvation. People are provided special meal replacements and typically lose about 3-5 lbs per week. They're usually used to resolve problems from a morbidity. Definitely not for just anyone, and they need to be administered and monitored by a multidisciplinary team including an RD and MD.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,241 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have had a few friends tell me that they are only eating 600 calories a day. I want to lose weight but not at the risk of my body failing. So, does anyone know is this ok to do?

No it is not ok to do. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/518970/who-should-eat-500-calories-a-day/p1

Even the 1300 calories a day for a male is too little.
  • jewdels
    jewdels Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My best friend tried several extreme low calorie diets last year. Every one ended up with her in the ER because her body shut down. She eventually lost her job due to inability to function on any level for a year. She also gained back everything that she did lose and more. She is now working out and working on a diet with enough calories and nutrients to keep her going. Make sure you eat enough to keep yourself going. Good luck!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Are your friends anorexic teenage girls?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I ate 500 calories a day for quite a while.... Until I was hospitalized for anorexia and started treatment/refeeding.....