How do you stay motivated when sick ?

Yup it's my time of year to have a nasty sinus /upper resperitory infection . They come on fast and strong . Usually knocking me down for a week or so . Of course I have kids so takeing a "sick day" isn't an option. But all I want is junk food . Things that I can taste . I havnt given into this craving but man am I fighting it . Support needed for sure to get through this hurdle !

Replies

• JLPersall
    JLPersall Posts: 43 Member
    I know what you mean. First my 2 year old was sick and whining for a week and now its my turn. Hard to stay motivated when exhausted. I try and remember the feeling at the end of day when you did well vs. Crummy feeling of screwing up.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    Sorry you're sick. It's common this time of year. Good for you for not giving into the craving! Keep in mind that your body needs rest and care in order to recover. No sense putting yourself backwards by eating foods or quantities that you wouldn't normally eat.

If strenuous exercise is out (which is understandable) I try to still focus on body-related things: stretch, do a few yoga poses, go to a sauna or steam room, etc.
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    I would just rest. It's the best thing to do. Yeah I wouldn't even go to the gym at all if I were sick. Rest, hydrate, eat what you want in moderation, and get back on track once you're fully recovered.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Hold on. Let me finish this chocolate bar, PB&J and a beer and I'll tell you all about myself control while sick
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    Hold on. Let me finish this chocolate bar, PB&J and a beer and I'll tell you all about myself control while sick

LOL

• buttersbunch
    buttersbunch Posts: 180 Member
    Have YOU ever said this to someone or to yourself? "This isn’t a good time for me to be trying to lose weight because of _________.”

I know I used to say this! But honestly, it is an attitude that MUST be fought and overcome in order to truly succeed. This "Fair Weather Loser" attitude, convincing others and ourselves that we can only lose weight and make healthy choices and changes when all is well.

But seriously, when is that going to happen? For the majority of us,
    life is constant change with good times and bad, sickness and health, ups and downs! So if there is a 'secret' to weight loss success, I would tell you it is in learning how to cope with the constant changes your life is throwing at you, and teaching yourself to have control over food instead of allowing food to have control over you!

Think about this, if every time life gets stressful, busy, sickness hits, things get frustrating, etc... your weight loss efforts get put on hold (and your health too!) you will NEVER find a 'good time' to lose weight and finally change your lifestyle!

So, fight the urge to put things 'on hold' or to wait for 'a better time' to start or continue losing weight. Challenge yourself to PUSH through those feelings and to keep your healthy lifestyle going during life's stressful times. Each victory *will* help you to win yet another one that is waiting further down the road!
    And that will give you the confidence and courage that you CAN do hard things, and you CAN do this no matter what comes your way!77slu0i32g4g.jpeg
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    I was just sick the last couple days and struggling with this. I also tend to eat more/worse when sick so it makes it especially hard. But I logged still, just to keep track, and I'm back to my deficit today, hoping to add exercise back in tomorrow or Wednesday.