Beginner gym routines

Options
trying to figure out the best routine for myself and its a bit overwhelming! Anyone out there have a good routine for beginners for gym/at home workouts? What moves/machines to use, and for how long? Also how do you guys figure out what to set the weights/cardio machines resistance to etc? Thanks!

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
  • steph2740
    steph2740 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Im trying to lose 100+ pounds I especially want to target my stomach and legs but everything really. I just kinda feel lost on where to begin.
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    What are your goals?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good general fitness beginner program. You utilize primarily free weights which are superior to machines...machines have their place, but that place really isn't as the foundation of a good program. The book will also explain why you are doing what you are doing and lead you through the progressions.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has some good beginner routines.

I've heard that strong lifts 5x5 is very good (though I've never done it).

I suggest as you learn new exercises (or revisit old familiar ones) learn more than just how to do them. Find out which muscles they work, how variations of the movement will affect how muscles are recruited, etc.
    I find it very helpful to know why I'm doing what I'm doing.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Go get thinner, leaner, stronger by Mike Matthews. It's a great read and great program.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You can exercise to death but if your eating is crappy you won't see the results that you want. It starts in the kitchen!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    steph2740 wrote: »
    Im trying to lose 100+ pounds I especially want to target my stomach and legs but everything really. I just kinda feel lost on where to begin.
    What are your goals?

Well, you can't target weight loss to any area specifically; you'd be losing all over. Assuming you have the diet part of it down (because this is where loss mainly comes from), any exercise can help you lose the weight you want.

My preference and priority is lifting free weights. As stated above, machines have their place, but I prefer barbells and dumbbells. Stronglifts, New Rules, All Pro, Starting Strength are all good beginner programs. They keep it simple and are very effective in getting you strong while preserving muscle mass as you lose fat. I run for cardio, but it's not my priority and I only do it once a week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good general fitness beginner program. You utilize primarily free weights which are superior to machines...machines have their place, but that place really isn't as the foundation of a good program. The book will also explain why you are doing what you are doing and lead you through the progressions.

While I agree NROLFW has merit, based on my experience, I can't recommend it for women who have 100+ pounds to lose. I attempted it when I was down to only having 30 pounds to lose and am not strong enough for the bodyweight exercises, and think that amount of excess weight would make the squats dangerous for the knees.

However, the OP is considerably younger than me, so may be considerably stronger as me as well. (She should still be very careful with her knees.)

• elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I went with the Royal Cdn Air Force XBX routine. just 12 minutes a day and starts off very very easy and very very slowly. Every 4 days you move up a level and increase a few repetitions. It's free. I like it because it gives me the easy wins I need to build my confidence. For example, for about 12 days, I had to do 3 push ups (followed by a back stretch) over 2 minutes. Super slow. I've just moved up to 5 pushups and back stretches over 2 minutes. I can actually feel that my pushups are stronger now. The best part is, it's so short and easy and I feel so good about myself that it has become my non-negotiable. Even on a day when I was super irritable and wanted to skip my cardio, I didn't consider skipping XBX. It may not be as good for someone who needs to be challenged though. For this, I'm interested in slow and steady and sustainable. if anyone is interested, I modified the printouts so the levels are easier to follow.

I also add 10-30 mins of beginner cardio on Youtube videos.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Considering you have over 100 pounds to lose, I suggest two things.

1.) You dont start a lifting program yet, instead work on form and bodyweight movements.
    2.) You begin exercising by finding activities you enjoy that you will continue for life. For example, dancing, swimming, walking, etc.
    3.) Something along the lines of a circuit training program that uses bodyweight, increases flexibility, and doesn't include a lot of jumping movements is probably best.

There are many many programs out there. Some that are free that have specifically what i advise above are Fitness Blender's workouts:
    Calorie Burning Low Impact Cardio Workout for Beginners - Recovery Cardio Workout with No Jumping
    Total Body Toning Low Impact Cardio Workout - 30 Minute At Home Cardio Workout
    Beginner Boot Camp Workout -- Easy Toning & Low Impact Cardio Workout with Fitness Blender

good luck!
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    What are your goals?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • steph2740
    steph2740 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you super helpful!
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    What are your goals?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

• Carlos_421
    Options
    Thank you super helpful!
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    What are your goals?

No problem! And I agree. USMCMP has solid info in that thread.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Lifting can be done even when obese, one key element will be working to learn correct form. If done right, squat shouldn't bother the knees at all. I started lifting weights while obese and had a trainer first show me all of the form needed for Stronglifts. I did that for 12 weeks then did NROLFW. The hardest part in the second program was more the lunges and one leg variations. I modified only one thing in the NROLFW one out of all of the stages, a single leg squat while standing on a tallish (i'm short they all seem tall to me) step. That one bothered my knees too much so instead I did goblet squats. They do have a newer book, Strong, and I haven't tried that one but it's the more up to date version.

I have had problems with my knees since 6th grade basketball and had a diagnosis of arthritis in my lower back about 10 years ago. I do have clearance for exercise as long as I'm cautious and aware of any problems. Lifted for a year so far and only de-loaded a couple of times or taken an extra rest day or two to make sure I didn't hurt anything. Calories are key for weight loss, but lifting and some cardio (I have goals that require cardio training) have all been great to help along the way.