How to breathe while running?

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    KaponoMama wrote: »
    I'm wanting to lose weight and I know running is a great way to exercise. My question is, how do you breathe while running?

I've managed to run for 1 measly minute and end up on all fours with my tongue laying out of my mouth panting like a dog in the summer.

I want to push through, I want to feel this runner's high that people speak of....but how do you BREATHE while running??!!!

Slow down. Can you walk for half an hour? If not, start there. Walking comes before running. If you already can walk, then add one minute SLOW jog intervals. If you cannot talk while jogging, you are going too fast. To begin with, this might mean your running pace will not be actually faster than your walking pace. It is normal, and nothing to feel discouraged about.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Go on YouTube type how to breathe whrn running. I breathe when my feet land I breathe in. I have a tempo of breathe in and in then out
    Out through the stomach. You want to breathe out from the stomach practice this. I also began with a couch to 5 km now my next goal is the 10km. Before the program I could not run for 5 minutes without having to stop now I can do 3-4 miles it takes time push. The intensity level should be at for example someone is next you and you can talk to them
  • KaponoMama
    KaponoMama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Inhale, exhale, repeat as needed.

Sorry, could resist. But besides all the slow down comments, that may not be the fix 100% of the time. For me, I had to really relax and focus on more of a yoga style breathing. It took me a little while to fight the urge to just start gasping. It wasn't my fitness that was lacking, it truly was my breath pattern. Once it clicks, you won't have to think about it & it will become normal.