sweet potato tater tots?

Options
hey guys, can anyone give me a homemade breakdown of sweet potato tater tots if you have ever made them?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Load them into the recipe builder - when you add the ingredients, weigh each one as you go.
  • MFrey718
    MFrey718 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    im sorry, total miscommunication. I meant the process of making them. baking or frying. breadcrumbs or flower
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    http://paleogrubs.com/sweet-potato-tater-tots-recipe

flour? I don't think you need that at all. Some recipes do, sure.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I've never made home made tater tots before. I guess, if I were going to make that effort, I would; shred the raw sweet potato, mix in an egg or two to bind it together, season it with salt and pepper, shape the mixture into small and bake it. I have no idea if that would work or taste but it's what I would try. Have you googled it?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Never made them homemade. I like these: th?&id=OIP.M2be779b7d5f38a962c938d9761b74d10o0&w=243&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Off to google a recipe
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    MFrey718 wrote: »
    im sorry, total miscommunication. I meant the process of making them. baking or frying. breadcrumbs or flower

My recipe is a little simpler:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
    2. Slice about 1.5 pounds of sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch rounds
    3. Put them in a bowl, add about a tablespoon of oil, 1/8 t chipotle powder, 1/4 t salt, mix well. (Use whatever spices you like.)
    4. Bake for 20 minutes, flip, bake for another 20. (Not certain about this - keep an eye on them for the last 10.)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This recipe looks interesting

http://minimalistbaker.com/easy-baked-sweet-potato-tater-tots/

Panko crumbs give them crunch.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Never made tater tots, we slice them and fry them in unrefined coconut oil. In other words, sweet potato home fries.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Those looked great I want to try them
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    MFrey718 wrote: »
    Oops! The links above look great.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I made them yesterday for the first time, to do with my low cal buffalo chicken strips (during a terrible football day for me!!!)

I peeled, cut in half and par boiled (about 15 minutes) three large, yet not giant, garnet yams (I greatly prefer to sweet potatoes)

Let them cool, then grated them with a box grater.

Added salt, pepper, paprika, garlic salt, and a bit of cayenne. Mixed it together with my hands, then rolled them into their little tot shapes and placed on a parchment lined baking sheet. I brushed them with a wee bit of olive oil. Cooked at 400 for about 45 minutes.

They tasted good, but they sort of didn't hold their shape all that well. They shrunk up quite a bit, so I'd suggest making them about 2x the size of a normal tot.
  • MFrey718
    MFrey718 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I'm going to make them now. you all go hard.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

4 T sugar? (2 T + 2 T). I wonder if that is really needed.