Nursing?

Options
Liz12mae
Liz12mae Posts: 57 Member
Hi everyone how did you incorporate breast-feeding into my fitness pal? Thank you

Replies

• JasCortes
    JasCortes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same exact thing.
  • mkh858
    mkh858 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well, they say breastfeeding you can burn up to 500 calories, however your suppose to increase your calories about 300. Im nursing twins for almost a year and let me tell you, yesh I burn 500 cals, but boy do I eat those calories up. Just make sure you keep taking your prenatal, lots of great vitamins. As far as MFP..if the app says to eat 1800..eat 2100 or perhaps more. So happy to see you nursing!
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If you type EBF - Breastfeeding in to the food search you will find an entry that will credit you 500 calories a day. Just be careful as it assumes exclusive breastfeeding - if you are doing part breastfeeding/part bottle/part weaned etc you'll need to alter the amount down a bit.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Fill out your weight loss goals and let the app calculate your calorie allowance as usual, then you can type "breastfeeding" into your food diary every day. It will give you a choice of either receiving 250 extra calories or 500 calories. If you're exclusively breastfeeding I would choose the 500 cal one. If your baby is on solids or you're supplementing a a significant amount, you should just do the 250 one because of course the less your baby is breastfeeding, the less calories your body is using to make milk.

Now that my baby is 9 months old and getting about 50% solid foods, I have mine set to just give me 250 extra calories instead of 500. It's only been a week but its working so far (dont feel overly deprived, lost a pound).
    Best of luck to you!
  • coreyjpf
    coreyjpf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I was just searching for this info.