Other than not going past your calories

Options
Other than not going past your calories do you try not to go past other nutrient facts such as grams of fat, sat. fat, cholesterol, etc? Or just go by your calorie count?

Replies

• QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I just go by calories. And I try to hit protein. That's it. :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Calories and protein for me too.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I try to keep the macros somewhat balanced to the numbers but don't obsess at all if some days I'm more over on some things than others. I dont look at cholesterol at all since the suggested number is outdated and not necessary to follow for me.

Mainly I make sure my overall nutrition is good and I do try to hit the fat and protein numbers. Carbs I always hit lol. Calories I keep at a deficit since I'm trying to lose.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    And 25 grams a day of fiber.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Calories alone for me too. I do try to get protein when possible, but I don't sweat it if I don't. Carbs and fiber are usually an auto hit for me, even an overhit, and it's exceptionally easy to hit fat.
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    just calories for me. every once in a while, i'll check my macro percentages to make sure i'm in a generally good place, but i don't lose sleep over it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I work at reducing saturated fat for a medical condition I have and upping protein and fiber so that I feel full. The rest takes care of itself.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I try to keep an eye on sugar because it's my weak point, protein because I can rarely get enough and am trying to retain muscle as I lose, and I swapped out my sodium macro for fiber. It's nature's broom :wink: .

As you track you'll find your weak or strong points. It took me about a month to figure out what works best for me.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I keep my eye on (in order) fiber; proteins, fats, carbs; Vitamin A & D and Iron (because I tend to have deficiencies in those areas)
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    calories and protein if I don't watch the protein I don't get enough.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    In order of priority: Calories first because my goal is to lose weight. Carbs second because I have problems with my blood sugar and feel best if I stay below 100g. Protein and Fat third because when I get plenty of these, I usually am fine on the carbs.
  • jal2003
    jal2003 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I keep an eye on all of them. I try to keep carbs under and usually fat is way under. Protein is very iimportant to have on target since I've been working out and weight lifting 4+ days per week.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    For me, I would prioritize as follows:

Calories (hit goal or less)
    Protein (hit goal or more)
    Fat (hit goal)
    Carbs (hit goal or less)

Obviously, since calories are based on a formula of protein + carbs + fat, some of that falls into place naturally depending on how other parts go. But, generally, calories are the most important, and unless you have some extremely specific health problems or training goals, the remainder are a bonus that will make hitting your calorie goals easier (more protein and fat = more satiety) and improve your health (more protein = less muscle loss, appropriate fat = healthy tissues, balanced hormones, good digestive activity, etc.) as you lose weight.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I watch calories and aim to hit my protein, especially on my lifting days. And I keep an eye on sodium because, well, who likes to be bloated and fluid retaining more than we have to be.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Yep -

Calories, protein and fiber for me
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    1. Calories 2. Iron 3. Protein I have to work at iron and protein.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    calories protien and fiber.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I try to stay at my calories, hit or exceed protein, hit or exceed fat.
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Calories are my big focus - but I do look at protein and sodium as well.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I try to stay within my sugar and carbs, but don't worry about going over fat and protein a bit. I also track potassium as I'm deficient.