Carb replacements

Options
Any one got any decent tips on what to swap/replace carbs with?

I just want to try something nicer than quinoa or courgetti

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Carbohydrates can be replaced with protein or fat. Quinoa has carbohydrates, so I wouldn't use it to replace them. If you're sick of vegetable noodles (which do have *some* carbohydrates too), maybe try adding more protein to your meals (double-up on what you're already using) or fats (if I want more fat I will add plant oils or avocado to my meals).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to replace carbs?
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think she's looking for variety with her carbs, not to eliminate them.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Unless you're specifically doing low carb/keto, eat all the carbs! Other than eating all the carbs you want, you may want to try eating more leafy greens or berries and nuts like the low carb people like to do...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    OP, if you are looking for variety with carbohydrates, here are some off the top of my head: Try sweet potatoes, farro, oats (regular and steel-cut), millet, different types of rice (jasmine, basmati, wild, etc), pasta (wheat, black bean, corn, quinoa, rice), or bulgur wheat.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Quinoa has about as many carbs as spaghetti, so I would just go ahead and eat spaghetti unless you like quinoa better. I sometimes replace carbs, just for the calorie reduction, not because I think I need to avoid carbs.

I am a HUGE fan of squash. Have you tried spaghetti squash with meatballs and marinara? That's very tasty to me. I also like to make mini pizzas with butternut squash. (Like this: http://empoweredsustenance.com/butternut-squash-pizza-crust-gaps-paleo/). Stuffed acorn squash is also really good.

I also like to make "loaded" cauliflower. You boil or roast cauliflower, just like you would a potato and then load it up just like a potato. Sour cream, cheese, green onion, bacon, etc..

Again, most of these subs I do for the calorie reasons, not because I hate carbs.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you want to replace carbs, most people tend to do it with fat and, to a lesser extent, protein.

If you wish to just switch up your carbs the possibilities are huge. I would tend to avoid adding starches and foods high in sugar to a diet and focus on veggies but I tend to avoid foods that convert quickly and easily into glucose.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I use chopped salad instead of pasta under chicken and low carb spaghetti sauce. Tastes lovely.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I also add alot of foods normally eaten with carb/cal heavy items to salad. Burgers, hotdogs, sausage, etc...

I also eat alot of cauliflower to replace some of the 'filler' carb/cal heavy items like rice, pasta and mashed potatoes.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about carbs as in a macro goal, or do you really mean starchy foods?

Are you on a low or moderate-carb diet? What is your daily goal in grams?

Quinoa is not a great choice if you are on a lower-carb diet, since it has quite a high carb content for the serving size. On the other hand, it also has some protein and lots of other nutrients, so it is a healthy thing to eat as long as you carefully limit serving size.

I eat a moderate carb diet, generally 75-100G/day. I try to get most of my carbs from non-grains...so veggies, fruit, beans, legumes, etc. I really love yams, slow baked until they get a sort of natural caramelization. I try to eat whole grains (old-fashioned oats, brown rice) instead of more processed things like while rice and pasta. Really, increasing the non-starchy veggies is the key for me.

What to switch/replace depends on your particular goals.

• ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    There's a huge amount of recipes on Pinterest about cauliflower as a replacement for rice and bread. I'm also a big fan of burgers on leafy green beds.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Are you talking about carbs as in a macro goal, or do you really mean starchy foods?

Quinoa is not a great choice if you are on a lower-carb diet, since it has quite a high carb content for the serving size. On the other hand, it also has some protein and lots of other nutrients, so it is a healthy thing to eat as long as you carefully limit serving size.

I eat a moderate carb diet, generally 75-100G/day.
    I try to get most of my carbs from non-grains...so veggies, fruit, beans, legumes, etc. I really love yams, slow baked until they get a sort of natural caramelization. I try to eat whole grains (old-fashioned oats, brown rice) instead of more processed things like while rice and pasta. Really, increasing the non-starchy veggies is the key for me.

75-100g can actually be considered to be fairly low carb. Below 100g or 150g of carbs per day is generally thought to be a low carb diet. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I try to get most of my carbs from non-grains...so veggies, fruit, beans, legumes, etc. I really love yams, slow baked until they get a sort of natural caramelization. I try to eat whole grains (old-fashioned oats, brown rice) instead of more processed things like while rice and pasta. Really, increasing the non-starchy veggies is the key for me.

75-100g can actually be considered to be fairly low carb. Below 100g or 150g of carbs per day is generally thought to be a low carb diet. :)

It is? I'm hovering around 100g most days and never considered it to be low carb.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

It is? I'm hovering around 100g most days and never considered it to be low carb.

Yeah. Most in the Low Carber Daily subgroup are below 100g with just a few over that. There is not hard and firm definition of what constitutes low carb though.

Very low carb, or ketogenic diet, is usually thought to be below 50g per day with many keeping carbs below 20 or 30g.