Grass fed vs. commercially raised

Options
I rarely go for grass raised meat and meat products myself. But this comparison showed quite a difference in the omega fatty acid profile of butter. The others were marginally better but butter was an eye-opener for me. I think grass fed butter might be worth the extra money to me.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/natural-health/nutrition/omega-fatty-acid-testing-zbwz16fmzkin.aspx?newsletter=1&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=01.25.16%20MEN%20HE%20eNews&utm_term=HE%20eNews

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I take fish oil for my omega 3s anyway so I don't depend on how much is in my beef.
    Even if I went with grass fed, I doubt I eat enough beef or butter to benefit from the difference.

ETA: I had heard before, though, that grass fed beef does have a lot more omega 3
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Grass fed beef tends to be less fatty.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I take fish oil for my omega 3s anyway so I don't depend on how much is in my beef.
    Even if I went with grass fed, I doubt I eat enough beef or butter to benefit from the difference.

ETA: I had heard before, though, that grass fed beef does have a lot more omega 3

I certainly don't. But beef itself did not show nearly the difference that butter did, which I guess isn't all that odd since we're talking fats.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I guess it depends on how much of one's diet these products comprise. I take fish oil for my Omega 3, and I figure my dairy and egg intake covers my Omega 6 requirements without supplementation.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Not sure about the rest of the world, but Americans tend to eat too much omega-6. Fish oil supplements are good, though in trials they have failed to provide the benefits seen in epidemiologic data for those that eat foods high in omega-3. I like to get it from food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Does it? That wasn't the focus if this comparison, but how much less fatty? Do you have a link or source?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Not sure about the rest of the world, but Americans tend to eat too much omega-6. Fish oil supplements are good, though in trials they have failed to provide the benefits seen in epidemiologic data for those that eat foods high in omega-3. I like to get it from food.

Fish oil supplements are often loaded with stuff other than fish, anyway. Also, keep in mind that grass-fed beef can also be "grain-finished" and still advertised as grass-fed, but the health benefits are basically destroyed.

Not in the US it can't. The grass fed label means the animal was fed nothing other then grass and forage after it was weaned. All cattle are grass fed at some point.
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I guess I didn't realize that "grass fed" beef could be finished with corn. If that is the case than their fat content may not be a lot better. I buy my beef from a farmer friend and it is grass fed start to finish and not corn or grain finished. The fat content is very low.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I guess I didn't realize that "grass fed" beef could be finished with corn. If that is the case than their fat content may not be a lot better. I buy my beef from a farmer friend and it is grass fed start to finish and not corn or grain finished. The fat content is very low.

If you buy beef labeled 'grass fed' in the US then it was not corn finished. But it is no guarantee that the cattle were pastured all year or raised without antibiotics or hormones. The feed is the only thing that is guaranteed.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    If you care about the animal being pastured year round and raised without hormones or antibiotics you should look for certification by the AGA (American Grassfed Association)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Agree with the poster above. Problem is it is impossible to verify 100% grass fed unless you raise the fcuking cow yourself ;)

Based on what, exactly?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Just putting these links out there since some of you seem confused about what grass fed means.

http://www.beefboard.org/news/files/factsheets/grass-finished-beef.pdf
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/usda-grass-fed-label-zmaz08amzmcc.aspx
    http://www.americangrassfed.org/about-us/our-standards/

It is worth noting that the USDA/AMS stopped certifying grass fed a couple of weeks ago.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Does it? That wasn't the focus if this comparison, but how much less fatty? Do you have a link or source?

I will try to find something, but my understanding has always been that one of the benefits of grain-fed (and knocks on grass-fed) was that grain-fed=more fat, and grass-fed is supposed to be too lean so not taste as good/be harder to cook. This has a reference to that: http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/resources/grass-fed-beef-grain-fed-beef

This gives numbers but may not be the best source, of course: http://www.americangrassfedbeef.com/grass-fed-natural-beef.asp

(I do buy grass-fed for regular use, and think it tastes just as good, but I guess for Christmas prime rib or the like I've gone to the butcher (and no doubt purchased corn-fed), not my regular farm source.)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I will try to find something, but my understanding has always been that one of the benefits of grain-fed (and knocks on grass-fed) was that grain-fed=more fat, and grass-fed is supposed to be too lean so not taste as good/be harder to cook. This has a reference to that: http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/resources/grass-fed-beef-grain-fed-beef

This gives numbers but may not be the best source, of course: http://www.americangrassfedbeef.com/grass-fed-natural-beef.asp

(I do buy grass-fed for regular use, and think it tastes just as good, but I guess for Christmas prime rib or the like I've gone to the butcher (and no doubt purchased corn-fed), not my regular farm source.)

Yup, I've repeatedly been told that you need to cook grass fed less time because it will get tough quicker due to the lower marbling.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    agree with the OP...pretty significant in butter.

But likely not enough fats there to begin with to really care about in the whole meat, particularly if one chooses a lean cut. Literature finds minimal (being bias toward grassfed using that term) health benefit from grain fed, even with the difference in the fat profile.

Blind taste tests usually favor grain finished.

• rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If you go to the website eatwild.com, you can look up places in your area to get grass fed beef , eggs and dairy. In my area, there are quite a number of ranches and farms where you can actually visit and see their operations. My family and I go in with another family to purchase a side of beef which then gets processed any way we want. It ultimately ends up cheaper per pound than the store. Of course, you are out a few hundred bucks at the beginning and need a freezer but the investment is well worth it.

Purely anecdotal ~ after we started eating the grass fed beef, we decided to have a cookout taste test and invited some friends over. We grilled hamburgers made from both commercially raised ground beef and grass fed beef and asked them if they could tell the difference and which ones they thought were grass fed. Out of 12 people, 11 of them easily pointed out the grass fed beef burgers because they thought they tasted "cleaner" and they had more flavor!
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    This is true for for other animal products as well. Pastured chicken and chicken eggs have more omega-3's than conventional.

The difference is really in the fat. If I buy conventional, I choose lean cuts of meat, chicken breast, top round, etc. Occasionally, I'll buy grass-fed ground beef (85/15) or a whole, free-range chicken when they're on sale. But I ALWAYS spring for Kerrygold butter! yum!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    Out of 12 people, 11 of them easily pointed out the grass fed beef burgers because they thought they tasted "cleaner" and they had more flavor!

Interesting. Comparing lean to lean (95%, say), I don't think there's likely to be any noticeable difference, as there's not enough fat to matter, but perhaps one was fresher.

When I get grass-fed (from a local farm), I don't have as much control over the fat content, so I think there's more fat than when I buy ground beef from some other source (as I will go for the leanest option). Likely this makes the grass-fed tastier/more flavorful, but it's because there's more fat, not the usual difference between them.

For what it's worth, often when you buy heritage/farm-raised pork they will use different breed of pigs with more fat, so unlike the beef, where it tends to have less fat, the pork cuts will likely have more (conventional pork in the US is quite lean due to consumer demand). More fat is contrary to the preference of some dieters (since more calories), but is typically more flavorful.