Another Measuring question

Options
Is measuring food in ounces acceptable? Or only grams? Not all foods are listed in gram measurements, only by ounces. Also when I cook from a recipe, the serving sizes are often broken down into calories by cup measurement . I'm pretty sure if I just weigh it, I could get the gram/ ounce weight of the serving then quick add the calories from there.
Thanks. I'm really not used to using the scale except for meats.

Replies

• Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Most Scales Let You Measure By Oz Or Grams And Some By Kg .. You Can Measure In Whichever You'd Prefer, So Long As Your Calculating Calories Correctly.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    28.35 grams is 1 ounce. You can always convert manually.

Generally grams is recommended because a) its more precise. You may round off and say something is 1 ounce when its really 35 grams, which is more than 1 ounce. And b) because there can be confusion between liquid ounces and dry ounces.

If you're going by a recipe that has cups/spoons for solids, you can probably look up online what is considered a standard conversion. But depending on how you pack the food into the cup, you could easily be over or under what is required. So not only can using cups for recipes distort the nutritional totals, but it can give you wrong quantities of ingredients and impact the outcome of the recipe.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i generally weigh everything in grams.

when i prelog i do ounces simply because i can envision that better, but when i actually prepare and cook my food, i weight it in grams and then change the weight in my diary.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I weigh in grams and find an entry that is in grams that is correct. If I can't I make my own entry or edit one already in the database.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If you make a recipe that has serving sizes in cups, enter the recipe into the recipe builder here. Then weigh the entire recipe in grams. Put the total amount of grams as the number of servings. Lets say i make a casserole that is 1000 grams total. I enter each ingredient (weighed and measured) into the recipe builder. Then i weigh the total meal. Then i enter 1000 servings (the total weight of the recipe minus the pan/dish).

Then when i take a portion, say 200 grams, i just enter 200 servings.

I have a 'cheat' sheet taped to the inside of a cabinet with the weights of all my pans to make it easier.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

Generally grams is recommended because a) its more precise. You may round off and say something is 1 ounce when its really 35 grams, which is more than 1 ounce. And b) because there can be confusion between liquid ounces and dry ounces.

If you're going by a recipe that has cups/spoons for solids, you can probably look up online what is considered a standard conversion. But depending on how you pack the food into the cup, you could easily be over or under what is required. So not only can using cups for recipes distort the nutritional totals, but it can give you wrong quantities of ingredients and impact the outcome of the recipe.

Question- Do you think it's acceptable to use oz if you use a decimal place? As in your example, what if you put 1.23 oz (which is 35 grams)?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

This.
    ASKyle wrote: »

Question- Do you think it's acceptable to use oz if you use a decimal place? As in your example, what if you put 1.23 oz (which is 35 grams)?

And yes, this is also what I do if there are only ounces in the database; measure accurately in grams then convert.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you just don't care to math, Just use the handy dandy grams to oz converter. :)

http://www.convertunits.com/from/oz/to/grams

I prefer to always weigh in grams. If ai can't find an entry with a grams choice for serving size I just convert the number to OZ. if I can't find one for Oz or Grams I create a new entry or edit an existing one.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    As a general, I use 29 grams to the ounce. For me it is close enough and I am able to convert on the fly if I need to. My scale does weigh in both, and I usually weigh in grams as it is more accurate being a smaller unit. So if the serving size is 1 ounce, I just weigh out 29 grams of whatever it is. If I want 2 servings, then I weigh out 58 grams.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. My difficulty isn't with the math. I've lost close to 60 lbs weighing food in ounces and measuring in cups or fractions of cups. I was taught this method by Weight Watchers and nutritionists, and am very used to this method. Also trying to get hubby to weigh what he cooks in grams and then doing the math will be impossible, since he doesn't really care for my weight loss anyway. I'm just afraid all the new math will make me frustrated and quit when I'm so close to goal.