Going crazy here...(skin issue)

Options
This isn't directly related to weight loss (maybe?) but I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out.
My dandruff has gotten just ridiculous. Like, really REALLY bad. It itches like crazy and it has now spread to my eyebrows and face and behind my ears. I've always had issues with it, I have really sensitive skin, but now nothing is working. Selenium sulfide (selsun blue) was always my go-to, but it is no longer working...I've tried tea tree oil, head and shoulders, various other oils (like olive oil masks, etc), sage tea and even a and d diaper rash ointment on my face. Nothing helps. Last year I got tired of the stinky shampoos so I tried going no shampoo and just scrubbing with water. It was the only time I had zero dandruff and no itching without medicated shampoo, but I couldn't stand my hair being limp and oily so I went back to the selsun blue.
I've been taking vitamins, a multi, calcium, magnesium and zinc, a hair skin and nails biotin one, and I added a krill oil one a couple weeks ago. No noticeable change...
I try to keep my diet balanced, 45c/25p/30f, and have been eating like 1600 ish calories per day.
It started getting bad a couple months after I started counting calories. Now my hair has gotten thinner from scratching and I'm at a loss here. It's embarrassing. I can see people looking at my hair when I'm talking to them and it makes me really self-conscious.

Has anyone dealt with this successfully? I would like to treat this at home naturally, with diet or topically. Or with something OTC that i haven't found yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Replies

• Radiant8888
    Radiant8888 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For absolutely everything skin related I add Tea Tree oil to my shower gel (I'm sure you could add it to shampoo also). It is antibacterial and anti fungal. Also jojoba oil or coconut oil are the best moisturizers for my skin. I have very sensitive skin which sometimes gets dry to the point of being very uncomfortable. If it does I will use some Cream E45 shower gel and sometimes add Aveeno moisturizer to my routine (the oats are found to sooth eczematic skin - I am sure they will help yours also).
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    how often are you washing it?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's just dandruff? Have you seen a doctor?
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Increase your omega-3 intake.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd consult a physician for advice (you don't need to take the advice - just know what you are dealing with and proceed accordingly). You may have one or more things going on - eczema, allergies (topical or other), autoimmune issue, other.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    It sounds bad enough to see a dermatologist. With it spreading I really think you should.

• knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    For absolutely everything skin related I add Tea Tree oil to my shower gel (I'm sure you could add it to shampoo also). It is antibacterial and anti fungal. Also jojoba oil or coconut oil are the best moisturizers for my skin. I have very sensitive skin which sometimes gets dry to the point of being very uncomfortable. If it does I will use some Cream E45 shower gel and sometimes add Aveeno moisturizer to my routine (the oats are found to sooth eczematic skin - I am sure they will help yours also).

Thanks for the reply! I have been using coconut oil for my face and overall moisturizer but I am now wondering since usually dandruff is caused by a fungus or yeast if I should stop because they feed off saturated fats...

I used to use Aveeno, I don't remember why I stopped. I'll have to get some.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I know you said you wanted to treat it "naturally", but if it were me and nothing seemed to be working, I'd be going to the doctor and getting checked out.
  • knelson095
    Options
    I wash my hair every 3 days or so, any more and it compounds the issue and dries everything out. I wash my face once a day with mild soap. I have not talked to a doctor about it yet, planning to do so at my next visit. Last time I went it was under control with the Selsun so I didn't think to ask.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's time to see a dermatologist.

The only thing I can think of that you haven't already tried is African black soap. It won't fix the hair problem, but it *might* help with your face. It helps skin to slough off faster, which could be beneficial.

I love coconut oil for hair and nails, but I find it a little harsh on the skin. I like olive oil much better for things like oil cleansing.
  • knelson095
    Options
    I just want some relief until I can ask a doctor about it. I'm thinking it's seborrhoeic dermatitis from the pattern that it's affecting, which is thought to be caused by yeast-like fungus...

Also, I moved last summer from a dry climate to a humid one, kinda thought it would have the opposite effect but who knows...
  • velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would see a dermatologist.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    knelson095 wrote: »
    I just want some relief until I can ask a doctor about it. I'm thinking it's seborrhoeic dermatitis from the pattern that it's affecting, which is thought to be caused by yeast-like fungus...

Also, I moved last summer from a dry climate to a humid one, kinda thought it would have the opposite effect but who knows...

Bunch of options on several pages here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seborrheic-dermatitis/basics/lifestyle-home-remedies/con-20031872

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Time to see a dermatologist.

If it truly is dandruff, it may be too great of a fungal infection for Selsun to knock out on it's own. A dermatologist may give you a higher dosage anti-fungal either orally (like Diflucan, which is taken for yeast infections) or a prescription soap for you to use.

Also to clarify- Dandruff is a form of seborrhoeic dermatitis. See a derm, and in the meantime you could google which OTC dandruff shampoos have the highest % of the active ingredient (I believe it's zinc something) or try a coal tar like Neutrogena T-Gel.
  • rhs907
    rhs907 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband has had dry scalp/ dandruff for years, the only thing that works for him is aveeno dandruff shampoo and conditioner. My mom has it as well, and it had gotten to the point of nothing working, she ended up trying apple cider vinegar and it worked great! She said her hair has never been better. I think this is similar to what she does :http://www.doctoroz.com/slideshow/surprising-ways-use-apple-cider-vinegar?gallery=true I'm not a Dr. Oz fan at all, but she says it works for her!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear it. As an eczema and atopic dermatitis sufferer, I know how itchiness can drive one crazy. Agree with seeing a dermatologist. What's helpful for one condition could aggravate another. Behind ears and on scalp above base of neck are not uncommon spots for eczema flare ups, too.

Until you can get into the doc, I would put as little on my skin as possible--even water. When my skin was super sensitive, even getting warm water on my face made it flare up red and itchy. Cetaphyl sensitive face cleaner can be used without water by just wiping it off. For hair, I wash it once/week with a salicylic acid shampoo in the winter and 2x/week in the summer. Otherwise I'd try keeping face and scalp dry and put as little product on as possible. My skin and hair are really dry, so oiliness isn't so much my problem. Like all allergic reactions, prevention is more effective than treatment. When my skin was at its worst, an oral antihistamine prescription helped get it under control. I hope yours feels better soon.
  • InCHarmsWay
    InCHarmsWay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be psoriasis, especially if it looks scaly. Probably time for the doctor!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone suggesting you see a doctor quickly. @courtenaymichele suggested psoriasis, which was my thought given your description. Only a dermatologist will be able to help you accurately diagnose and develop a treatment plan correctly.
  • JesmineDNCS
    JesmineDNCS Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have issues with dandruff from time to time ...especially when transitioning from colder to warmer months and vice versa.
    My go to solution which helps both the itch and flaking....is washing with diluted apple cider vinegar or using diluted apple cider vinegar as your last rinse. Your hair will smell like a salad but the smell does fade. It gave me immediate relief.
    I use an organic or non sls, paraben, sulphate shampoo during this time. Or just the dluted vinegar to massage and rinse. I dont wash my hair daily though, just 2 or max 3 times a week. The dilution i used was 1 part ACV to 3 parts water as a shampoo. And 1 to 5 as a leave in rinse. If you wanna try it i suggest diluting it more to start...especially if you have scratched up your scalp!

But yeah, best to consult a dermatologist. DH was diagnosed with soap allergies n he gets scaly, flaky skin under his eyebrows as well as the scalp.
  • knelson095
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I've tried coal tar, acv, and the pyrithione zinc products and none of those worked...sorry I forgot about those when listing things above.

I am going to try the salicylic acid shampoo or maybe another called nizoral. Maybe the cetaphyl also for my face. My mom also has been pushing me to buy some B vitamins because she said that's what cleared up the scaliness on her face, so maybe that too.

Been putting off the doctor appt, so this might be what pushes me to do that...lol.

Thanks everyone!