Help - very hungry right now

Options
Help - I have already eaten over my calorie allotment for the day (slightly) and am still HUNGRY. I have eaten carefully (last meal was a chickpea and kale salad at 5:30pm) and I don't feel I should be hungry..but regardless I am. Getting into a grumpy mood too - frustrated after having a really good day and feeling empowered. I hate feeling like I am going past my calories for the day when it is unplanned. Yes I track weekly, but I also need to bank some calories for the weekend as we are going out for MIL's birthday.

Suggestions for a filling, low cal snack? Is popcorn a good idea or not filling enough?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I find I need a lot of popcorn in order to be filled up.

What about a huge salad? Tons of lettuce, maybe half can of tuna and some balsamic vinegar?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If I were going to have popcorn, I'd need some protein with it too (like a couple of hard-boiled eggs, or some tuna would work too). Why not go for a walk and earn some calories so you can eat some more tonight, or plan some more exercise this week so you can bank your calories for the weekend and still eat a snack tonight?
  • babycatchfire
    babycatchfire Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Try drinking water. A lot of the times when I think I am still hungry it's because my body is dehydrated.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I usually do the water hack too - but have already been drinking lots. Ugh - getting completely annoyed. I forced myself to log everything and I am close to 300 calories over already. Haven't worked out yet but have had so many errands I am running out of time. And frankly, feeling so very grumpy that I want to skip my workout.

Maybe a hard boiled egg? (Or two?) I'm at the point now where I can't think logically very well right now. (So I apologize in advance if I start rambling)

So very mad at myself - I probably shot myself in the foot when I said today that my journey thus far has been going pretty well and overall I have been satisfied and rarely hungry. It's been an amazing feeling to be in control - but tonight I feel like it is slipping away.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs! The king of Hunger!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if all i had for dinner was chickpeas and kale,id be hungry too LOL

especially since i wont even look at kale.

go eat something lol
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Popcorn always fills me up & has that satisfying texture & volume. After a very lightweight dinner, you probably just need to eat SOMETHING. You sound "hangry"! Just don't go hog-wild & you'll be fine with a moderate snack.
  • elaineamj
    Options
    Haha - it was a 400 calorie dinner (heavy in the chickpeas) , which is a normal dinner for me. I am only 5ft tall so only get 1200 cals.

And yes - hangry is an apt description! Now debating between popcorn or a cup of cottage cheese. Thoughts?
  • arditarose
    Options
    Cottage cheese and tea. And trust me, I'm a popcorn lover. I just think the protein will fill you up better.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Green tea + baby carrots + sugar free jello
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    pickles,
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Instead of heavy chickpeas, I'd put some nuts (I love almond & pecan) for the protein & fat (they stay in stomach longer than carbs). Light string cheese (there are some with 50 kcal per piece) is a good option too, but I personally like hard boiled egg better :smile:
  • Brittanybrown33190
    Options
    :( I never even come close to what I need for calories. Always between 500 and 800 calories short........ :(
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I would go with a couple cups of egg drop soup. 1/2 c celery, 1 mushroom, 1 tbsp. chicken soup base, 2 c water. Cook until celery is soft. While at a rolling boil, gently stir in a beaten egg. Thicken with 1 tbsp. of cornstarch. Serve and add pepper to taste. Quick and easy, very filling, few calories.
  • elaineamj
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I love all these suggestions and will add them to my arsenal! I love chickpeas but starting to get a little sick of them as I am relying on them too much.

After all my ranting here, all your encouraging suggestions gave me the mental strength to decide to do my short 12 min strength training before I got my snack. Even though I was in a terrible mood before that, amazingly it improved my mood drastically and I decided to actually do a workout (30min moderate cardio). I just finished it and am no longer hangry anymore. The night is not over yet, but looking positive that I can make it without any more food.

Next time, I will push myself to do at least a short workout and see how I feel after :)

@namelesshere Now I am going to have to add that egg drop soup for my meal rotations! Wonder how many calories it will be - going to have to build that recipe.
  • arditarose
    Options
    OP, you'll find things that fill you up for little calories. I had about 150 calories left today and was able to make a little peanut butter shake using powdered peanut butter, almond milk, cocoa powder, and fage 0% (could have used protein powder as well but am over my goal today already). Pretty filling because I added water too so there are 3 cups of liquid.