lemurcat12 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    sorry, LCHF is not healthier than any other way of eating that hits micros and macros….

I do hit my micros and macros though.

I had a piece of cake the other day. It was small but had sugar. I also had a higher carb meal (for me). Within 24 hours my autoimmune arthritis was acting up rather badly (first time in past 6 months when I avoided sugary cake) and my blood glucose was up for over 24 hours...

So in your opinion, LCHF is still not healthier for some people with health issues like that?

its not healthier than any other way of eating that hits micros and macros, period.

I don't believe we were discussing medical conditions in this thread.

Medical conditions determine a large part of some people's health.

Gluten free isn't healthier than not gluten free either, even though there's people with medical conditions that should never take anything containing it.

True... Gluten free is only healthier for those people with gluten sensitivity. A healthier way to eat for some people.

I am not sure if that is what you are getting at here.

It means it's not healthier, it's just better for some people because something is inherently wrong with how their body works.
    Peanut allergy the same. Any other allergies, PKU and aspartame, and so on.
    Would you raise your eyebrows if a post on here would say "I chose to not eat peanuts because I want to live healthier."?

And to spell it out, LCHF is only healthier if you have a medical condition that prescribes it.

I guess we could apply that to all diets in existence. A diet is only healthier if there is a medical need for that specific diet.

No, some diets are healthier than other diets.

Low carb is not one. One can do a healthy or a super non healthy version of low carb, and even the healthy version will be no more healthy than many other good diets.

On the other hand, I'm allergic to penicillin. That doesn't make penicillin bad for the average person who has an infection it would help with. It would be bad for me. I would not claim it was "unhealthy."

Stating that a low carb diet is not healthy is just an opinion. Your opinion. A predjudice against eating more fats than average perhaps? My personal experiences with a LCHF diet certainly does not support the idea that it is unhealthy either.

I obviously did not say it was inherently unhealthy. Not sure why you are arguing against something I did not say. I do think a low carb diet with low vegetables and lots of processed meat is unhealthy, but many people who eat LCHF are careful to have quite nutrition-conscious diets.

Perhaps I misunderstood your statement of "No, some diets are healthier than other diets. Low carb is not one of them." I took that to mean that you were statingLCHF is not healthier than any other diets - on the unhealthy end of the dietary spectrum.

It helps to read all the sentences in a comment. The two you mention were followed by "One can do a healthy or a super non healthy version of low carb, and even the healthy version will be no more healthy than many other good diets." I think that's pretty clear.

not sure why it is so hard for some to understand that if you hit your micros and macros and stay within your calorie target then any diet is "healthy." Individual foods dont make a diet good or bad, what makes a diet bad is bad choices.....

I don't agree. I think there are other factors such as nutrients, vitamins, sodium, sugar, etc. People have to think about diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, fatty liver...

i clearly said hit your micros = micro nutrients. And how would a healthy individual develop a fatty liver or high cholesterol if they are getting adequate nutrition, staying in calorie targets, and getting macro nutrients?

so person A does low carb and gets adequate nutrition and loses weight; person B does moderate carb/protein/fata, gets adequate nutrition, and loses weight.

Why is person A healthier than person B?

the answer is that they are both healthy ...

{sigh} ok the response was in a chain of comments. so "healthy low carb diet vs non healthy low carb diet = same amount of healthy"... the concept I did not agree with. so healthy foods within your micros vs non healthy foods within your micros being the same I don't agree I don't think it's the same on the body. So if you get your carbs from more sugary foods than more fiber enriched foods for example, I don't agree it's the same as long as you stay in your carb limits. I don't think it's good to take in all tv dinners that are high in sodium but might still have certain nutrients, calories, etc. So in my opinion actual healthy foods are better to reach your goals. I don't know how much clearer I can make it but I know some people just enjoy arguing so I will bow out gracefully smh.

who in this thread advocated a diet of 100% tv dinners?

You totally ignored the example that I gave. IF you have two people and one is low carb and one is not and they both hit micros, macros, and stay in their calorie goal, why is the low carb person healthier?

There is NO way that either person could get adequate nutrition and hit macros eating tv dinners, that is just a straw man argument.

For the record, carbs are sugar, so if you are eating carbs you are getting your carbs from sugar, because carbs..

Please provide a lis of these unhealthy foods and explain why they are unhealthy?

There are no unhealthy foods, just unhealthy diets….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    caryn7780 wrote: »
    I have tried losing weight with the calorie counting and it does not work for me. However, I have great success with Atkins. I lost about 60 pounds back in 2005 with Atkins/low carb. I started it again this week and I am down 6 pounds in two days and feeling a lot better!!!! Atkins/Paleo/low carb is not a fad. It is just about finding what works for you and understanding that it has to be a change that you can sustain for the rest of your life.

you are still adhering to the principle of CICO with atkins/low carb
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Please provide a lis of these unhealthy foods and explain why they are unhealthy?

I don't go backwards for selective readers, but I will answer this...A triple whopper at burger king has 75 grams of fat, 27 saturated. Not good for the body even if you eat healthy the rest of the day and cut back on fat.

roast turkey ranch and bacon sandwich at arby's 2300 grams of sodium... only 800 calories so you'd still have to eat more that day.

Candies - don't know if u need a list of the ones that are pure sugar and artificial colors with no nutritional value.

movie theatre popcorn and soda - hopefully I don't need to explain this one.

restaurant chicken alfredo, fried chicken, pizza loaded with processed pork, high sodium tv dinners...

how many were you asking for?
  • taliciama
    taliciama Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my body seems to absorb carbs... I try to limit myself
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »

I don't go backwards for selective readers, but I will answer this...A triple whopper at burger king has 75 grams of fat, 27 saturated. Not good for the body even if you eat healthy the rest of the day and cut back on fat.

roast turkey ranch and bacon sandwich at arby's 2300 grams of sodium... only 800 calories so you'd still have to eat more that day.

Candies - don't know if u need a list of the ones that are pure sugar and artificial colors with no nutritional value.

restaurant chicken alfredo, fried chicken, pizza loaded with processed pork, high sodium tv dinners...

All heart attacks on a plate B)
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Here's where you need to be careful as the science on saturated fat and sodium is not settled. The traits in those foods you consider unhealthy are core to my healthy diet - over half of it is usually saturated fat and 4000-5000mg a day in sodium.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    <--- is weeping about Hornsby's poor banana.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    <--- is weeping about Hornsby's poor banana.

It needs fixing
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    It works for some people, especially people with PCOS or severe epilepsy, but you should be choosing a diet you can maintain for life. I personally think reducing "white" carbs and focusing on whole grains is good for your overall health and makes it easier to lose weight by keeping you fuller, but I really don't like to follow any diet that completely or nearly completely cuts out any major food groups. Many carbs are nutrient rich, and are more affordable and accesible for people from lower incomes. From a wider perspective, I dont believe the world population can be sustained without grains, grains are good for food stability.
    Maybe that was a bit off topic but basically, carbs are not evil.
    You can lose weight with them, you'll be healthier is you choose whole grains, youre more likely to maintain your diet for life if it doesnt cut out any major food groups.

0s5poncvzsf8.gif
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

You have a lot to learn.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

none of that food taken individually is "bad'….

if you eat movie theater popcorn and soda and the rest of your day is yogurt, fruit, chicken, and vegetables, and you meet your micros and macros goals, is that good or boat?

if you have fried chicken for dinner, but fruit and yogurt for breakfast, and turkey breast and whole wheat bread for lunch is your whole day then bad/unhealthy?

the point is that you need to look at overall dietary context and not individual foods.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

none of that food taken individually is "bad'….

if you eat movie theater popcorn and soda and the rest of your day is yogurt, fruit, chicken, and vegetables, and you meet your micros and macros goals, is that good or boat?

if you have fried chicken for dinner, but fruit and yogurt for breakfast, and turkey breast and whole wheat bread for lunch is your whole day then bad/unhealthy?

the point is that you need to look at overall dietary context and not individual foods.

This'n
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

Here's where you need to be careful as the science on saturated fat and sodium is not settled. The traits in those foods you consider unhealthy are core to my healthy diet - over half of it is usually saturated fat and 4000-5000mg a day in sodium.

Well my hubby's doctor would beg to differ since he told him to cut back on sodium since he has borderline high blood pressure, but whatever works.
  • Jozzmenia
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

You have a lot to learn.

As we all do. I was asked to list some unhealthy foods not to explain how you can eat unhealthy foods and manage to stay healthy. If you find them healthy you are of course free to eat them all day long.
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Apparently not lol. I need to learn that they're all healthy. :/
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Well my hubby's doctor would beg to differ since he told him to cut back on sodium since he has borderline high blood pressure, but whatever works.

So he has a medical condition that requires him to watch his sodium. We aren't talking about people with medical conditions. I aim for 5000mg of sodium because I exercise a lot.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

As everyone else has said....it depends on the context. I bolded it and underlined it for you so hopefully you see it this time.

Treating yourself to one once or twice a year, or on a day where you're super short on calories and/or your fat macro, they can fit just fine into your diet.

No one is suggesting they should be a daily staple of your diet. Then again, I wouldn't want any one single food to be a daily staple of my diet.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

The single most important factors for HBP are weight and exercise. If your husband is concerned about HBP - he can cut out salt but it will affect pressure a lot less than managing weight or overall diet.

For the general person - eating a roast turkey ranch and bacon sandwich every once in a while will not result in poorer health.

People should focus on the majors, not the minors.

Not quite sure what your issue is with restaurant chicken alfredo?

If someone has health issues, yes, absolutely should look to specific dietary needs but for someone without HBP I fail to see how that Arby's sandwich is an issue. Or the occasional pizza or tv dinner.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

As everyone else has said....it depends on the context. I bolded it and underlined it for you so hopefully you see it this time.

Treating yourself to one once or twice a year, or on a day where you're super short on calories and/or your fat macro, they can fit just fine into your diet.

No one is suggesting they should be a daily staple of your diet. Then again, I wouldn't want any one single food to be a daily staple of my diet.

You know what will really hurt your body? Eating only broccoli - if it was your only staple it would screw your thyroid to the ground in about 4 weeks.

But no one is going to suggest that broccoli is unhealthily, because it isn't. The point you make and that jozzmenia doesn't seem to get is that context and moderation matter more than any single food item type.
  • Jozzmenia
    Options

Not really. The question was unhealthy foods not foods you could never eat in all your life. It's still unhealthy even if it's manageable. That was the question, unhealthy foods. You don't have to find a way to fit spinach and kale into your diet once or twice a year. You don't have to squeeze in water into your macros. You don't have to manage the rest of your day after you indulge in a can of tuna. I don't even know why someone insinuating they DON'T have a lot to learn would be pushing these foods but as I said if you find them healthy, have at it.