Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Nothing Seems to work

I've been trying so hard for months to move the scale downward -- I've increased fiber intake, quit drinking soda (I switched to diet, me without caffeine = not pretty), tried protein shakes, stick to 1500 or so calories -- but nothing happens. I exercise 6 times a week too. I've actually gained weight in the past year. Could it just be getting older? I turn 43 later this week. I feel like giving up. :(

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Are you weighing your food? What kind of exercise are you doing?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • fitcrt
    fitcrt Posts: 76 Member
    mbmatzek wrote: »
    I've ... quit drinking soda (I switched to diet)
    -- diet soda is still soda -- just sayin' - although it still comes down to calories in vs calories out for most - are you using MFP to track everything you consume?

• Amby6912
    Amby6912 Posts: 17 Member
    Diet soda can actually cause weight gain. It's the aspartame. When I was underweight in high school, I drank diet soda every day for a month and gained 10 pounds.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,888 Member
    Amby6912 wrote: »
    Diet soda can actually cause weight gain. It's the aspartame. When I was underweight in high school, I drank diet soda every day for a month and gained 10 pounds.
    Un no. How do you gain weight on a 0 calorie drink? One gains weight by CONSUMING more calories than they need. Hate to tell you it wasn't the diet soda........................it was over consumption.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Amby6912 wrote: »

No, aspartame does not make you gain weight. You over ate for a month and gained weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,888 Member
    OP if you're not losing it's either: your deficit is too aggressive, your measuring of calories in/out is incorrect, or you have a hormonal/health issue that you may not be aware of. Deductive reasoning on these will help you figure it out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    mbmatzek wrote: »
    I've been trying so hard for months to move the scale downward -- I've increased fiber intake, quit drinking soda (I switched to diet, me without caffeine = not pretty), tried protein shakes, stick to 1500 or so calories -- but nothing happens. I exercise 6 times a week too. I've actually gained weight in the past year. Could it just be getting older? I turn 43 later this week. I feel like giving up. :(

Fiber will only make you fuller and poop, it doesn't help with weight loss per say.
    Soda, - you could drink diet soda with caffeine or coke zero .

Question about your exercise, how often and how long do you do cardio?
  • mbmatzek
    mbmatzek Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you for all the feedback. I am recording what I eat and wonder if I'm accurately measuring portions so I will work on that more. I also wonder if the calories I've "earned back" from exercising are valid. As for what I do, it's mainly biking and ellipical trainer since my knees aren't the greatest. I workout at least six days a week, sometimes seven especially in the summer when I log hours on my bike. I also do strength training 2 days a week too.