Feeling disillusioned

Options
mischief_managed_22
mischief_managed_22 Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2016 in Motivation and Support
I've been at this for two weeks so far. After the first week I'd lost three pounds and was so happy! It really spurred me on and this week I couldn't wait to get on the scales to see what I'd lost. This morning I got them out, stepped on and.... Nothing! I hadn't even lost half a pound! I've stuck to my calorie limits all week and actually exercised (cardio) more than last week so I can't understand what's gone wrong. Without that 'seeing the results' boost I'm now feeling low and demotivated... any ideas to get me going again?

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    You have to look at the long term trends. Stick too it and you will be down a good amount this time next month. I finally got over the ups and downs of my daily weight swings. Add me if you need a friend who has overcome!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    Just keep going!!! You'll see it.
  • chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    This is normal, weight loss isn't linear. You could lose nothing for two weeks and then that third week drop 5.

This has happened to me countless of times, do not give up. Keep forcing yourself to count and to exercise even when you have no motivation, you need dedication. I know you can do it. If you want you can add me as a friend
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a long term project, and you aren't going to lose weight every week. And I don't know your stats. but unless you are very obese, you should only expect to lose @ 1 pound per week on average. When your goal is months away, you can't get discouraged after 2 weeks. Life doesn't work that way!

Have patience, be consistent, and judge your progress in terms of weeks and months, not days. :drinker:
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    chel325 wrote: »
    This is normal, weight loss isn't linear. You could lose nothing for two weeks and then that third week drop 5.

This has happened to me countless of times, do not give up. Keep forcing yourself to count and to exercise even when you have no motivation, you need dedication. I know you can do it. If you want you can add me as a friend

Exactly this.

Weightloss is not quick and is not consistent keep going and if you stick to it the results will show.

Remember to drink 2ltrs water per day that really helps mine shift.

Good luck!!

• cpw2109
    cpw2109 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've just come through 2 weeks of no loss. I stuck at it and rather than throw the towel in (like I would have done countless times before), I knuckled down and made sure everything was accurately weighed and accounted for.

Then the loss came.

I'm sure it'll happen again. You have to remember that it took some time to put the weight on, so it'll take some time to lose the weight.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Try using trendweight.com (or happyscale and the like). It REALLY helped me when I gained a pound over the weekend. This morning, I am back to what I was before the start of the weekend. Best of all, it showed a steady 0.2lb loss every day even when my scale went up instead of down. Makes me feel so much more confident I am going in the right direction.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've been at this for two weeks so far. After the first week I'd lost three pounds and was so happy! It really spurred me on and this week I couldn't wait to get on the scales to see what I'd lost. This morning I got them out, stepped on and.... Nothing! I hadn't even lost half a pound! I've stuck to my calorie limits all week and actually exercised (cardio) more than last week so I can't understand what's gone wrong. Without that 'seeing the results' boost I'm now feeling low and demotivated... any ideas to get me going again?

Two weeks huh? That's like...nothing.

Weight loss is a slow process...just as you did not gain a bunch of weight overnight, you aren't going to lose it either. You need to adjust expectations to REALITY.

It is normal to have a quick initial drop in weight...most of the initial loss has nothing to do with actually losing fat, but rather release of water, glycogen depletion, and less inherent waste in your system due to eating less.

It's cliche, but true...it's a marathon, not a sprint...two weeks is a drop in the proverbial bucket...hell, at a mere two weeks you don't even know if you're truly being accurate or not.

Weight loss, and weight management in general is about LONG term trends...not a couple weigh ins. It's about long term consistency, not throwing your hands up after a mere two week...that is the exact opposite of consistency...without consistency, nothing is going to happen long term. Get your head wrapped around the bigger picture and get your expectations in line with reality.
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You can't give up on your goals after one disappointment. There are a million reasons that the scale may not have moved. If you just had too much sodium the day before. It's just one of those things you have to overcome in yourself. Fear of failure is real and it's easy to stop trying to avoid it, but it doesn't get you any closer to where you want to be. And if you quit, in 6 months rather than possibly being 24-48lbs lighter, you could be that much heavier, and even if you didn't gain, you might be right where you are now. I think it's clear you are not happy where you are now, so don't stay there.