Fitbit worth getting?

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mrsb461 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies. Think I will refrain from getting one just yet.

I have heard that the HR ones can have some issues, but the non HR models seem to be pretty dang close. I have a charge(non HR) and it calculates things out very accurately. The data it provides me on a daily basis is imperative to my continued success in the maintenance phase. You would be very surprised at just how much your TDEE can vary every day. Mine can vary as much as 300-600 calories per day. They are WELL worth the money, using MFP and fitbit together is how I lost over 100lbs in 2015.

I know some people report issues with the HR, but I have been eating back all the calories from my Charge HR since July and have lost/maintained exactly as expected.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The heart rate monitor on my Fitbit HR is definitely iffy. Sometimes I'll pause in the middle of an intense work out and check it and it won't even give me a reading. I pounded up an crazy steep hill on a ten mile hike the other weekend and although I was panting and at max heart rate my HR only read 90 bpm.

It's basically an expensive pedometer - that's my take on it.

I suspect that there's a delay in reporting heart rate. I did a stress test and checked in the middle and it wasn't close, but at the end, it was right on target. I know it records when my heart rate jumps, but it doesn't seem to update the number on the fly. If you look at the graph, it records in 10 minute increments, which may not be as fast as you need it. For me, I don't pay attention to the number during the day, but having that record is useful, espically if the doctor asks about it.

mrsb461 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies. Think I will refrain from getting one just yet.

I have heard that the HR ones can have some issues, but the non HR models seem to be pretty dang close. I have a charge(non HR) and it calculates things out very accurately. The data it provides me on a daily basis is imperative to my continued success in the maintenance phase. You would be very surprised at just how much your TDEE can vary every day. Mine can vary as much as 300-600 calories per day. They are WELL worth the money, using MFP and fitbit together is how I lost over 100lbs in 2015.

I know some people report issues with the HR, but I have been eating back all the calories from my Charge HR since July and have lost/maintained exactly as expected.

Same here. I've been using it for a year, eating back the calories it adds to MFP and lost the last 10ish pounds I needed.