Push-ups between sets

Options
collins1859
collins1859 Posts: 20 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Recently I've started doing push-ups between sets of whatever I'm working on that day. I do 10-15 immediately after the set I'm doing. Rest for about 30-45 seconds then do it all over. Thinking about doing sit-ups and crunches also but changing it daily. Thoughts?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    i personally wouldn't do push ups between sets because i take full advantage of my rest days since i rip my chest up twice a week. I don't do anything between sets but play candy crush.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    A good push-up is going to be a bit of a full body workout (keeping your core and legs straight plus the chest/arm/shoulder work). Honestly, I couldn't imagine giving my all to a push-up AND to a primary workout. If I do anything between sets it's just some light active stretches or bouncing around to keep warm. Just my two cents.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    If you have energy between sets for pushups, your sets aren't challenging enough. Amp up your sets so you need that rest period.
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/phano62.htm

Explains the rationale for rest between sets and what can happen if you get too little or too much rest.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Depends on the exercise and it's intensity level. I often chuck a few cheeky pull ups between sets of pressing exercises. But I'm greasing the groove with it in a non competing movement - not going balls to the wall and messing up what should be a recuperative period...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I know that Jim Wendler (5/3/1) suggests pushups between sets of squats and deadlifts. I'm doing an ab exercise (band rotation or ab roller) between those sets. I do pulls between my ohp and bench press. But if you can handle pushups, I don't see a problem.
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes do some leg work between sets when I'm working my upper body or vis-versa if that part of my body has had a day of rest.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you're trying to do. If you're working more on strength-endurance, then pairing a strength movement for low to moderate reps and moderate intensity with a movement like push-ups for higher reps will help with that goal. If you're working on maximal strength, heavier intensity and low reps then no it's a bad idea because you're not allowing your ATP to re-build between sets which you need for "heavier" intensities. But doing them between Squats, Deadlifts, Back exercises isn't a bad idea. I do chin-ups in-between all my pressing work and it doesn't affect my pressing.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,464 Member
    Options
    A set of pushups can be a great super-set exercise on chest or back day. Not so sure about doing them on leg day.