Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Do you feel like you have not lost weight when you have lost a lot?

2»

Replies

• CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Success on the MFP is measured in abs. I used to be 365lbs. I bounce between 225 and 230 now mostly randomly. When I was losing and my clothes were getting smaller it was awesome. When I started weight training and gradually the XL shirt became an L even though my weight stayed the same that was cool. But it becomes the new normal eventually. Time passes and you forget you were much fatter. All you see is how you're still not as small as the people in the success threads. No abs. Stomach still too big. Meanwhile their advice seems to be working for everyone but you. It's crap but I guess it beats the alternative (that is, never having lost any weight).
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    I've lost 60 lbs. For years I kept close in my closet because I thought I still needed them. It took my forever to stop picking up size 16. I still pick up size 12 now although I'm 8-10, and probably not a 10. I look in pictures and think I look the same. I don't know just what it is
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited January 2016
    I've lost 25 lbs and I don't see any difference. But everyone I know says they see a drastic difference. I just assume my brain's automated self-image generator has yet to update (thank you Matrix). My husband especially has noticed a difference, but I just don't see it. I feel it physically when I wear certain clothes, and it's frustrating to wait, but I plan on getting to goal and staying there forever, so I'm content in the knowledge that my brain will eventually catch up to everyone else's eyes.

ETA: I'm 5'2". 25 lbs is a lot on a hobbit.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Congratulations on your amazing weight loss! Your profile picture shows a tremendous change.

Just like you, I'm down 70 lbs from my maximum. I'm not done losing weight. I still have some of my old clothes.. the t-shirt I'm wearing right now, in fact, is one of those, and I need to replace my underwear because they're starting to fall off. It has occurred to me that one of the reasons I gained so much weight was because I had SUCH large clothing to begin with. So I perceived myself as pretty large long before I was that size.

However, there's another reason I really don't see myself very differently: I am the same person I was when I was verifiably thin and verifiably borderline morbidly obese. I feel like the same person. I like science & math, computer gaming, creating music, writing, my family, baking, and travel. I have a variety of very interesting hats, love animals in general and my fur babies in particular, and spending time in the woods. I do not see anyone else any differently regardless of my weight, and by reflection perceive myself the same.

And I don't know about your personality, but mine is BIG! like, REALLY BIG! I do nothing by half-measures. I love fully, live entirely engaged, and enjoy with no reservations. I speak up and speak out. So emotionally I occupy a lot of space, and I'm NEVER going to apologize for that again. I spent my late teens and early twenties trying to disappear physically, psychologically, and socially. Now I realize that I am who I am and I don't have to be invisible to make other people comfortable.

Embrace it. You're you no matter what your weight is. And when you doubt the effort its taken, look at your "before pictures." They're amazing.

I love that. Thank you
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    sanfromny wrote: »
    I've lost 60 lbs. For years I kept close in my closet because I thought I still needed them. It took my forever to stop picking up size 16. I still pick up size 12 now although I'm 8-10, and probably not a 10. I look in pictures and think I look the same. I don't know just what it is

I am slowly getting rid of my two big clothes. I still try to wear some of them, but they are so big that they make me look slouchy because the blouses fall off my shoulders and my skirts will not stay up. Some of my clothes are so pretty that I had to part with them, but I also know I do not want to keep them for just in case I need them. Also I look at some of my old blouses and I think wow that is big. I am grateful for my progress and will continue to work on being positive.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Yes because my view of my body is the same. I'm either looking down the front or only see myself chest up. We don't have full length mirrors, so I usually do a double take when walking by a decently-sized mirror or large window. I think, "Who's that B walking with my husband?! Oh wait, I'm the B." My body still has the same shape at 140 as it did at 320.

Photos are the best thing I did when I lost weight. I compare now to 4 years ago and it's like a kick in the face.

I know how you feel about clothes. I'm finally donating my 2X shirts despite them being less than 4 years old. They're even too big to sleep in.
  • kabigelow
    kabigelow Posts: 12 Member
    I have the same issue. I'm down over 50lbs, three sizes and every time I get a compliment I get embarrassed and talk about how much more I have to go. One of my NY resolutions is to take the compliments and be proud, not be dismissive of the accomplishment. I also started taking pics so I can see my progress (though I wish I took one in the beginning to really see it). Congrats on your loss, its an amazing accomplishment :)
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    I'm still getting used to a 70 pound loss as well. I go into stores, hold up an item of clothing and still think I'm a 14 when I'm really a 6.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member
    People look in the mirror every day, and even with quick losses we don't see things that others do. I only had a little less than 40 to lose, but other people noticed it quicker than me, even though I took my time.

Now on the fitness side, I did notice as the weight dropped and my endurance and speeds went up. But that only applies to some sports as well, or if you push harder and/or longer doing them.

And though I've watched mine change, those that don't use any type of heart rate monitor, it's safe to say that your heart rate thanks you for the weight loss.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    I've lost 97lbs and still forget that I'm not that 264lb girl anymore. I've grabbed my old size at a store a few times. I've looked in the mirror many times in the last year and been surprised, because I forgot that I'm not obese anymore.
    It's weird. But I've heard from other people that it's not uncommon.
  • abovethecity
    abovethecity Posts: 42 Member
    Yes! I've lost 145 lbs. (with some still to go) and I still feel the same most of the time.