Wondering about supplements - Fat Burners, Fat blockers, Carb blockers?

Options
In my local health food store, I often see a section with lots of Metabolism Burners, Fat Blockers, Carb Blocker type supplements.

I'm looking for anyone who has actually used these types of products. Did you find they worked for you or not? Did it help you lose weight faster? Are there any watch outs, did you find any side-effects? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    All of them have the disclaimer that they only work when combined with a "healthy diet and exercise". That's because the "healthy diet and exercise" work; no products required.

I tried a few appetite suppressants, and they basically only made my wallet lighter. There is a risk of side effects with any supplement, although not everyone will experience them. Considering there are no proven benefits, the risks are definitely not worth it in my money.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Nothing to really wonder about unless you're wondering why people think they work. They don't work. If they really worked there would be no need for weight watchers, mfp, etc.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep! Been there, done that. Total waste of money!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    If you want to give your money away, send it to charity, at least its a tax break.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    If they really worked none of us would be on MFP trying to lose weight :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    All of them work OP, every single one, and they are completely, 100% safe.
    That's why they all stay the the shelves forever on GNC, they never change formulas to make people think this time it will work, they never receive calls from the FDA, they never "accidently" contaminant part of the batches with things like speed to cause actual activity increases, and no one researches obesity any more. It has all, undeniably been cured by all of those things you mentioned.

Actually, why are any of you on this website? Don't you know you can just go buy that stuff and be done? Why are you wasting each other's time?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Savings Burners / Savings Blockers
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money. You want the ultimate appetite suppressant? Walk to Starbucks.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »

I have no experience with them, but if they work maybe the people who take them have no need for MFP.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Chaagy wrote: »
    In my local health food store, I often see a section with lots of Metabolism Burners, Fat Blockers, Carb Blocker type supplements.

I'm looking for anyone who has actually used these types of products. Did you find they worked for you or not? Did it help you lose weight faster? Are there any watch outs, did you find any side-effects? What are your thoughts?

Everyone is different, but I have had both bad and good experiences with them. If you are going to try them, just be aware of the ingredients, especially the amount of caffeine. A good fat burner can give you results without any stimulants, so if you are sensitive, or want to take something at night, you can start there https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/4_reasons_to_consider_stimulant-free_fat_burners/
    A good reason NOT to believe there are "fat burners". There is NOTHING in this formula that activates glucagon and GH hormones needed for fat release from the cells.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor about wt loss supplements. Just being otc doesn't guarantee safety.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Fill up on fiber. Try to go over your goal each day.
    I drink green tea, but I'm not sure if it works.
  • GeoBaybee
    GeoBaybee Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I've tried many things and nothing really works IMO. The only supplement that I've found useful in my situation is Acai Berry. I take one every morning for the nutrients and energy boost since I have kicked morning caffeine drinks. The thing I like the most about it is, it keeps me regular.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Chaagy wrote: »

They're all a waste of money more or less, some people will say they work. Most of the time those stating that are affiliated with some supplement company (YouTubers for example).

The best thing would be to add muscle to your body to increase your metabolism that is proven to work, start lifting and you'll naturally burn more calories per day.
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    murp4069 wrote: »

I have no experience with them, but if they work maybe the people who take them have no need for MFP.

Good point! I have used them with a lot of success in the past, but you need to manage your expectations and you still do have to put in work yourself. No such thing as a magic pill.
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    OP here.

Thanks for your responses people! Even the snarky ones!! I'm not looking for a magic pill. I'm not deluded into thinking a pill is going to do all the work.

But I have read things like, hot sauce can raise your metabolism by up to 20% (pseudo science... maybe). It's not like I'm going out of my way to lace everything with hot sauce, but I like spicy foods regardless. So it's good to know that it may be helping in some way.

In a similar vein, I was just wondering if these pills have similar properties, and if anyone knows anything more about them. It's really hard to research on the internet, because there's so many paid review, mis-information, pseudo science (have you guys read the post about eating poop pills?), that I was just looking for any honest trial feedback.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I take a supposed "fatburner" but not because if what it claims to do. I use it for the caffeine (with no calories to add to my logging) to help me get through work. I work 3rd shift so some days my energy lags. Its also supposably an appetite suppressor however I eat at all my breaks anyway so thats a load of bull. I just choose healthy or lower calorie snacks to get me through and fuel my day. :)
  • whit37k
    whit37k Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    CyeRyn wrote: »
    I take a supposed "fatburner" but not because if what it claims to do. I use it for the caffeine (with no calories to add to my logging) to help me get through work. I work 3rd shift so some days my energy lags. Its also supposably an appetite suppressor however I eat at all my breaks anyway so thats a load of bull. I just choose healthy or lower calorie snacks to get me through and fuel my day. :)

This is what I need, something for energy without the calories. But I am afraid of feeling jittery on something, and having to wait for that to wear off. What kind do you use, and does it make you feel that way?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    All of them work OP, every single one, and they are completely, 100% safe.
    That's why they all stay the the shelves forever on GNC, they never change formulas to make people think this time it will work, they never receive calls from the FDA, they never "accidently" contaminant part of the batches with things like speed to cause actual activity increases, and no one researches obesity any more. It has all, undeniably been cured by all of those things you mentioned.

Actually, why are any of you on this website? Don't you know you can just go buy that stuff and be done? Why are you wasting each other's time?

Whoah, something like that happened?