Portion size?

Options
I'm fairly new to a calorie Controlled diet, I have a shake for breakfast and soup for lunch, that leaves me roughly 1000 calories for evening meal, this causes me to have a massive evening meal or salad chicken and eggs ( meal does vary ) just to reach my goal and not slip beneath 1200 calories.

To cut a long story short does portion size matter if the calories are fine?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat your calories. If you like to eat most of them in the evening, that's fine.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    no - but I prefer to spread mine out a little more throughout the day.....I eat about 150 breakfast, 350 lunch and that leaves me 800 for a glass of wine and dinner at home. Sometimes I eat a little more at lunch - especially if I know I'm going not have a big dinner. (Hubby is a chef - I try to PORTION control that evening meal so I can enjoy it rather than make him cook 'special' for me - though sometimes he does or he lets me pull something (take veggies before he adds butter, etc.))
  • HarrisonOConnell
    HarrisonOConnell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys :) thanks for clearing it up for me, will try spread the meals out from now on
  • wykkedtruth
    wykkedtruth Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I find this very interesting because your bodies metabolic state changes when you eat regularily. Every time I have started training and consulted with trainers, dieticians etc I have been told that you need to eat regularly spaced out meals and snacks, at least every 3 to 4 hours for your body to keep its metabolism running smoothly, and that its not healthy to eat a large meal later in the evening when your natural circadian rhythm starts to slow down. Can anyone else shed more light.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I find this very interesting because your bodies metabolic state changes when you eat regularily. Every time I have started training and consulted with trainers, dieticians etc I have been told that you need to eat regularly spaced out meals and snacks, at least every 3 to 4 hours for your body to keep its metabolism running smoothly, and that its not healthy to eat a large meal later in the evening when your natural circadian rhythm starts to slow down. Can anyone else shed more light.

A good general rule of thumb is not to take nutrition/diet advice from trainers.

The research I've seen and read seems to indicate that IF (and that's a bit IF) meal timing does affect metabolism, it's by such a miniscule amount that it's not worth bothering with (as in like 10 calories worth per day). Basically it's nothing more than a rounding error.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Research is showing that circadian rhythms do affect blood sugars and fat levels but im not sure how that would/ does affect weight loss. Also fewer meals and a 'rest' from digestion seems to be the way to go rather than constant meals.

( but not for me as i like graze :-) )
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

A good general rule of thumb is not to take nutrition/diet advice from trainers.

The research I've seen and read seems to indicate that IF (and that's a bit IF) meal timing does affect metabolism, it's by such a miniscule amount that it's not worth bothering with (as in like 10 calories worth per day). Basically it's nothing more than a rounding error.

There are also studies that suggest meal timing helps for highly trained athletes looking to get that last little benefit. Again, most of us either aren't at that level and don't care.

So, I'll stick with my 2 large meals and 2 snacks a day since I enjoy them.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It's only a preference. I like to have 3 similar sized meals + snacks. Some people like to have smaller snacks in the day, and then bigger meal in the evening. Whatever makes you feel good. You will still lose weight as long as you are within your calorie goal.
  • bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It is better for you and your body if you eat 3-4 similar calorie meals each day to help keep the body's levels of ghrelin and leptin in check, the hunger and satiety hormones. Also to keep the metabolism elevated.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on what you prefer and what your body likes. I eat about 150 for breakfast, 300 at lunch and then dinner (about 400). Later in the evening I will have a glass of wine (195) and some "light" cheddar popcorn.

I'm a creature of habit though, and I have a REALLY BUSY job, so there's not much time to eat other than at meals. And I love saving my calories for wine and popcorn at the end of the day :#
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    No