Overcoming Food Temptations

Options
I work in an accounting firm, and as busy season approaches there will be tons of snacks around the office and lunches being catered. I try to resist and bring my own healthy foods, but when the indulgent foods are laying around all day, sometimes I find it hard to resist. Do you have any tips for avoiding? I was thinking about some type of "money in the bank" every time/day that I don't give in to the temptation. And then at the end of busy season I can treat myself to something.

Replies

• bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You could do that. Or you could anticipate the office treats and 'bank' calories in order to indulge in moderation now and then. As long as your weekly deficit is in check and you're not consistently going below a healthy intake level it doesn't really matter when exactly you eat the calories.
  • jame0529
    jame0529 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yea, true. Or I was thinking like actual money haha. Maybe like $2/day that I stick to my planned food. At the end of busy season I can buy myself something.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Outta sight outta mind. I stay out of the break room when that stuff is lying around all yummy and tempting me. I'll ask my wife or a work buddy to ask me how I did at the end of the day. I can use that little bit of accountability to stay on target. They don't control me or anything, they just ask. I don't want to have to admit I snarfed down three pieces of cake.
  • sarahq81
    sarahq81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The first treat is so much easier to resist than the second.. If you wait til 4 or 5pm and have one you'll limit the damage!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    jame0529 wrote: »
    I work in an accounting firm, and as busy season approaches there will be tons of snacks around the office and lunches being catered. I try to resist and bring my own healthy foods, but when the indulgent foods are laying around all day, sometimes I find it hard to resist. Do you have any tips for avoiding? I was thinking about some type of "money in the bank" every time/day that I don't give in to the temptation. And then at the end of busy season I can treat myself to something.

Maybe talk to a decision maker about food comas & loss of productivity and encourage more nutritional food to be purchased as well?
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I know what it's like, and it's really hard. My co-workers bring in homemade treats, so I find it difficult to log the calories. Then my thinking is "Well, I already ate that, and I can't log it. May as well eat whatever I want for the rest of the day now!"

I think the money thing is an awesome idea. I'm gonna try that.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Why is a catered lunch and your own healthy food mutually exclusive? Seems like you should be able to have a catered lunch at work now and again. Is your calorie goal too aggressive?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think your 'money in the bank' plan sounds awesome. That would do it for me.
  • stacynoell
    stacynoell Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Contribute a healthy snack to the break room...Also allow yourself to be social and have a little bite of office treats...I feel free to cut the precut portion to fit my needs...I'll quarter a cupcake, have 2 crackers with cheeseball or 2 meatballs/sausage balls for snack, but carry a healthy smoothie for lunch or have one for breakfast to balance it all out...I also increase my workout by 15 minutes and drink plenty of water to flush the salt out...
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Your idea of money in the bank for every day you resist is a good one. I also liked the suggestion about banking calories. Have a lower calorie breakfast/dinner planned, and get in some good workouts on the weekend. Then you can indulge a little more during the week when the snacks are out.

Also, try prelogging your meals - that way, you can see how much room you have for snacks at work. And if you do have any snacks, do your best to log them. Last week, one of my co-workers brought in cupcakes. Rather than not logging, I found an entry for chocolate cupcakes (no icing) and cream cheese icing. They may not have been exactly right, but they probably gave a better estimate of how many calories I consumed as opposed to me just picking a random Quick Add amount. I find it a lot easier to resist temptation when I know that it will put me over my goal.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    jame0529 wrote: »

I like the money in the bank idea! Is it possible to avoid the areas where the food will be? Also, I think if you are able to restrict yourself outside of work, it is ok to indulge every now and then. This really helped me when trying to avoid unhealthy food and cravings https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/30_day_body_transformation_avoiding_the_temptation/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself what you really feel like eating today. Make an effort to make it for lunch, or plan it for dinner. Either way, bring a tasty lunch to work... then if there is high calorie food there, focus on your tasty lunch/planned dinner instead, and ask yourself if you really want to blow calories on something you don't really want in the first place... when you have a tasty lunch with you or a tasty dinner planned (that you need to save the calories for).

Or just have smaller breakfasts and dinners and enjoy the free food in moderation. Or just do a combination of both...
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    You could look at the snacks as ST gains and know they are taxed at a higher rate then LT capital gains. So, LT K gains could be cheese, nuts, and beef jerky you have available. You pay less tax on these items and they keep you sated longer. Jesus, did I just use the US tax code as an analogy for food snacks? I need help.
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I ask myself, "When I get home tonight, will I be upset that I skipped this snack?"

Most of the time the answer is No, so I skip the snack or unhealthy food. Sometimes the answer is yes and I indulge.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    You could look at the snacks as ST gains and know they are taxed at a higher rate then LT capital gains. So, LT K gains could be cheese, nuts, and beef jerky you have available. You pay less tax on these items and they keep you sated longer. Jesus, did I just use the US tax code as an analogy for food snacks? I need help.

i worry about you....

;)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options

i worry about you....

;)

OMG :o
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Tea, lots of tea. Warm, satisfying, many of them hit a sweet tooth without any sweetener, but a hint of honey won't hurt you either.

You could also try starting a vegetable pact on a service like Gympact, which will charge you if you don't eat enough, but pay you if you do!
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

i worry about you....

;)

We didn't even discuss LT losses and their power of never really dying...always there............carry them over for ever and ever.......

• _Terrapin_
    Options

i worry about you....

;)

OMG :o

It could be worse. Have you met an actuary?!? Sit in a room with 10 accountants and make sure you haven't slept in 2 days.....let them start talking..........'a conscious death'
  • Cat0703
    Cat0703 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I work at a hotel and there are constantly leftovers in the break room. I cannot stop at one goodie so I usually picture how many people touched the food (or sneezed on it if I'm really having a hard time resisting) before it made its way there. Turns me right off of even my most favourite food. Gross, I know, but 100% effective!! Suggesting healthy alternatives or bringing something to share from home is good too. There are likely others in the same boat that would appreciate it.