New on my fitness pal and trying to figure it all out

Options
poscur
poscur Posts: 74 Member
Hi I am 50 yr old and new to fitness pal. I had previous been on bodymedia.com but they discontinued their service so I am trying to get used to using this. I had been very heavy and lost 65lbs sound 5 years ago. I vowed I would not go back but find my weight creeping up 5 lbs at a time. I know logging my food and exercise is how I did it the first time; there is no magic! So here I am back and going to hold myself accountable. I find entering exercise hard on this website. It seems to me the value they put on exercise in terms of amount of calories burned is excessive. I took cross-fit class 45 minutes, leisurely walking while shopping, 20 minutes on elliptical and came up with a value of over 900 calories..not reasonable. Anyone else find this or am I somehow entering things wrong? thanks and look forward to finding some "buddies" to share the journey with!

Replies

• michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome and feel free to add me.

I have only used MFP to figure my calories and I usually eat workout calories back and I'm losing weight.
  • schughes48
    schughes48 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I do not use MFP to figure my calories burned. I use what my elliptical says, because I find that more accurate. When I am doing aerobics or something other than my elliptical I will take MFP as its word.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    We have an Over 50 group if you're interested.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Many people have found the MFP calorie burn amounts to be excessive. The general recommendation is to only eat back about 50% of the calories shown.
  • poscur
    poscur Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    thanks all...helpful info.