Question about calories

Options
My nutritionist recommended I stay on a 1200 calorie diet but fitness pal has me on a 1500 calorie diet which one should I follow??

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What are your stats? Can't really give advice on your calorie goals without knowing stats. Personally, I would go with MFP, but you can also use other online calorie calculators and average them.

I would also suggest looking for a registered dietitian, not a nutritionist. Being a registered dietitian requires formal education and certification. Becoming a nutritionist usually only requires a short course, without the scientific education.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    It depends on your stats: height, weight, activity level. And how many lbs a week did you tell mfp you want to lose?
  • sara1302016
    sara1302016 Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Okay thanks yeah I believe I said a pound or two I'm 5ft1 makes sense I was kind of disappointed when I saw nutritionists because I already knew what I had to do she didn't really do much I will check with dietitian in the meantime I'll stick to the calories from mfp
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If MFP thinks you should be eating more calories with a somewhat aggressive weight-loss goal, you should be eating more calories. What does your body think?
  • sara1302016
    Options
    I'm kind of liking the 1500 calories mfp has me on I don't feel deprived and 300 more calories helps me stay on track thanks
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Just remember to recalculate every 10lbs or so that you lose. As you lose the weight, your body requires less to function normally, so you'll need to adjust from time to time or you'll end up in maintaince without realizing it!
  • sara1302016
    Options
    Thanks will definitely do once I begin to lose still on week 1