Would you ever admit it?

Options
So I have a friend who everyone gawks at. I mean, yes, she is pretty and in good shape. She does work out almost every day and doesn't eat sweets or carbs so I applaud her hard work. BUT...she's had plastic surgery. She complained for years that after having kids she couldn't get rid of her "pooch" so she had lipo and a boob job. When ppl drool over her she just smiles and says how hard she works at it...
So if you had surgery as "help" in your fitness and weight loss goals would you admit it? I can't lie, I have thought about it over the years but I keep feeling like I'm being impatient and that would be cheating.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Well, technically she does work at it if she eats right and works out every day.

I don't consider any surgery cheating because if you've ever seen someone's recovery, you'd know there's nothing easy about it. It's also none of my business what people do to their bodies. But to answer the question, yes I'd be open about it, if someone were rude enough to ask.

ETA: I have not had plastic surgery
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    She put in a lot of work, and the surgery might help her self esteem. Some people need to feel good about the way they look to help keep off the weight (i can look for the studies if you want, I am just too lazy right now). I know how it feels to have loose skin after loosing a lot of weight (160 pounds). I might consider a tummy tuck if I had the money for it, my insurance does not cover it. IF it helps her live a better life, so be it.
  • sadyia15
    sadyia15 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've been contemplating surgery for years and I guess if someone u dnt no compliments u then the last thing you'd do is say oh I had surgery. She's ur friend so u no n likewise her other close friends must but the reason y u hve surgery is to look n feel better n compliments show that. Also I no how it feels to hve the pooch n fr it to b gne would b bliss.
    Because I no even after losing all my weight I'll be left with saggy skin n only surgery can gt rid of it. Plus even after surgery u still need to wrk on ur body so u dnt put the weight bk on.
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    LowCoffinLucifie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Well, technically she does work at it if she eats right and works out every day.

I don't consider any surgery cheating because if you've ever seen someone's recovery, you'd know there's nothing easy about it. It's also none of my business what people do to their bodies. But to answer the question, yes I'd be open about it, if someone were rude enough to ask.

ETA: I have not had plastic surgery

Spot on ^
  • DebraLMurphy
    DebraLMurphy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Argh, tough one. Because while I believe that everyone has the right to make that choice, I also believe that it sets impossible standards for those of us who can't afford it or aren't willing to accept the risks of elective surgery. It's the same issue with unnaturally thin models and photoshopping in magazines. If more people chose to go "au natural", maybe the population in general would be more accepting of their bodies. Having said that, I hope you choose whatever makes you happy!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I've had WLS & after I lost the weight, I had a tummy tuck to get rid of my skin apron. As part of the tummy tuck, my surgeon also does lipo contouring on the flanks, which I love. If I had more money, I'd have my arms fixed as well, but I just couldn't afford it. I am upfront with it if people ask me or if they start talking about WLS in general. I don't go into my surgical history with everyone I meet though--it's none of their business in general.

I took a different way, but it wasn't easy. It changed my whole life. I've heard a lot from people over the years about how WLS is "cheating" or the "easy way" & they are going to do it the "right way". I think there are lots of different "right ways" for lots of different people. The "right way" is the way that gets the weight off & keeps it off. Each person may have to go through several different ways before they find the "right way" for them. Really, losing the weight isn't the hardest part (although, it is hard)--it's the never-ending process of maintaining the loss. It sounds like your friend found her way & made the final touches with surgery. Now she has to keep working to maintain it.

Maybe the people who accuse others of "cheating" in their weight loss don't mean to come off that way, but it often seems like they are putting themselves above the others in some way. Like they feel they have suffered more for it so it means more to them, or they are a stronger or better person because they have more "willpower". I think you should examine your reactions to your friend. What exactly do you expect her to say when she gets a compliment?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Argh, tough one. Because while I believe that everyone has the right to make that choice, I also believe that it sets impossible standards for those of us who can't afford it or aren't willing to accept the risks of elective surgery. It's the same issue with unnaturally thin models and photoshopping in magazines. If more people chose to go "au natural", maybe the population in general would be more accepting of their bodies. Having said that, I hope you choose whatever makes you happy!

^This is the biggest reason I do admit it as often as I'm 'allowed' to slip in that I got a boob lift (during a necessary surgery on one boob anyway).

It would be hard to slip that into normal conversation even if you are motivated to, though, don't you think, OP? If I get a compliment about looking good, my boobs aren't the first thing I'd expect someone to be thinking about anyway (more like my lipgloss color or something).

I definitely admit it, though. They would not be so perky at this age --period, and no I'm not just lucky somehow. They were altered like a suit, pretty literally (and it hurt!).