How to read a scale/deal with weight fluctuations?

Options
Hi guys!

Against my better judgement and advice from friends, I weigh myself every single morning because it helps me stay on track better. However, today when I weighed myself first it read a number that I felt wasn't right, so I stepped on the scale again right after and it gave me a reading of being 3 pounds lighter! How do I know which reading is my "real" weight when I weigh myself?? How do you guys deal with this issue? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Step on it a third time.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher and I track my weight with an app called happy scale so I can see the fluctuations and my weight trending downward.

That said, If I were you I would just pick one of the numbers, log it and move on. I wouldn't stress too much about it because I realize weight isn't static and as long as my weight is trending downward (even on the days it's up) it's nothing to stress about.

• ctcahoe
    ctcahoe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weighing in every morning helps me for sure. First thing is make sure the batteries are good. My scale has acted funny like that when it had low batteries. If it does the same thing with new batteries, buy a new scale of a higher quality. I have an EatSmart Precision that is very consistent. If I bought a new one, the Fitbit Aria would be at the top of my list.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost every day as well. It helps to use trendweight(paired with a Fitbit) or happy scale or some other weight trend tracker.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Pick the lower number, pour yourself a martini, and let it go
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Step on it a third time.

This. Step on it a couple times and take the most common output.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some scales need to be calibrated, especially if you've moved it recently. You might hop online and see if there's a troubleshooting guide or manual for your particular scale. Otherwise, try not to worry about it and watch for trends.