Going on cruise.Help!

Options
I'm just starting with MFP and love it but i am going on a cruise in march.any tips to help stick with it those 7 days. I am so worried about gaining weight.I have done so well thus far

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have done a couple of cruises during my weight loss and maintenance. I didn't watch my calories nor workout, except all the walking I did on the ship, I did gain some weight, but once I got back I lost it all few days later. Have fun enjoy yourself, it's one week.
  • sliminby60
    sliminby60 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    thanks for the encouragement
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,612 Member
    Options
    My husband and I love cruising and have been on about 20 cruises. On one of my first few cruises I gained about 8 lbs. And so I made a new policy in regards to eating. Here it is: I don't eat any pastries, bread/rolls or deserts. When everyone is ordering their deserts - I order coffee or tea. In addition, each day, if I'm not touring, I make sure I get in a gym workout and or some walking and try to take the stairs rather than elevator. Since those changes, I have not put on any lbs on cruises. Hope this helps you and hope you have a great cruise.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The dining room portions on cruises actually aren't enormous, and some cruise lines offer healthier options labelled as such on the menu. At the buffet, of course, you have total control over what you choose and there are always things like fresh fruit and salads available. Eating well on a cruise ship doesn't have to be hard, it's pretty much a matter of planning and self-control in the face of unlimited options.

So many people treat a cruise like they're obligated to get their money back in unlimited food. You don't *have* to do that, though, and there are so many other activities to keep you occupied other than eating.

Spend the time between now and the cruise learning proper portion sizes and what the nutritional information of your favorite foods is, and by the time you go, you'll be in a position to make smart choices.

You probably can't use MFP to look up the nutrition information of the foods you encounter at sea, but you can print out a list of the serving sizes and nutrition info for your favorite things off a buffet, for instance, and plan a realistic cruise day for yourself, with meal and snack times and rough calorie goals, accounting for a chance to try anything new and exciting by making smarter choices at other times. If you're planning on eating dinner at a specialty restaurant, for instance, or you know they have a dessert bar that you love, have a lighter breakfast that day. Or if there's nothing exciting at the lunch buffet, go easy and have a salad and keep the calories for something interesting at a local restaurant on your shore excursion. Some of the food on cruises is really interesting and great, and some of it is standard institutional catering. Pay attention to what's on offer and whether it's really worth your calorie budget- do you really want to eat subpar cafeteria pizza off the buffet at lunch when you're having dinner at an amazing onboard steakhouse that night?

Skip the all-you-can-drink package and buy drinks one at a time if you really want them- alcohol is high calorie and lowers your chances of making good food choices, and having pre-paid for unlimited drinks makes a lot of people overindulge to "get their money's worth".

Take advantage of the fitness center and the opportunity to walk, as well! A brisk walk around the deck on a sea day is very refreshing, and the people watching is always great. If you keep your day scheduled and you approach it as a great opportunity to try small amounts of a variety of foods, eating on a cruise can be just as healthy as any other day. And you've got the unparalleled advantage that if you don't like what you order, they'll bring you another one, no questions asked- so don't feel obligated to clean your plate, or keep eating something you don't really like, the way many people do in restaurants.

Just keep repeating to yourself: "I already paid for this trip, eating more will not 'get me my money's worth."

And have so much fun!
  • sliminby60
    sliminby60 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thankyou eating no pastries will be bit of a challange for me but i like the idea i will try taking the steps though
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My own experience with cruises was that the food was average. Things look good, including pastries, but often tasted bland. The cruise I took only provided better food and coffee if you wanted to pay extra for it. If your cruise is like that, it may make it easier not to overindulge if you have to pay more for your treats.
  • petersen1657
    petersen1657 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am going on a cruise in 9 days from now I have a personal trainer he always tells me portion is the key which means if you have a medium to a large meal no matter if it is fries and a hamburger is to cut those in half and save it for later or just order small amount of food like right now I am doing 4 oz in each meal lunch and dinner he also said that to stay away from pork and beef cause they have too much fat in it
  • NHDaisy2
    NHDaisy2 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm going in March 2017 also - 5 days though (wish it were 7!).

On the previous cruises we have been on we only took the elevator a few times - otherwise, it was all stairs all the time. We also would walk around on the decks - or the outdoor track. We weren't just walking leisurely and there were lots of people walking/running on the outdoor track early in the morning with us - plus, if it's early enough ou get to see sunrise! I honestly don't remember if I gained weight but, if I did it certainly wasn't significant since I can't even remember.

Plus, you have 10 months to get your eating/fitness habits established and to figure out your own strategy!

Have fun!
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    We're regular cruisers. As said above don't buy a drinks package. Or only get the soft drinks package if you are sure you can drink diet/zero the whole time.

We generally eat what we want whilst on board as it's part of the holiday for us. In every port were always walking for miles, climbing mountains etc. And on board were in the gym every day.

We gain 3 to 4 pounds each in 2 weeks which were happy with but we're not calorie counters and only 7-10 above our ideal weights.

Which line are you with? Some have great food, Princess, Celebrity, P&O in places. Some are really poor, Royal Caribbean, Costa.
  • Jim_i25
    Jim_i25 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I have done a couple of cruises during my weight loss and maintenance. I didn't watch my calories nor workout, except all the walking I did on the ship, I did gain some weight, but once I got back I lost it all few days later. Have fun enjoy yourself, it's one week.

This - I am booked for 1st cruise in July and will be taking this approach.