Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    You should prob go with supplements before ice cream :p

if you have already met micros and macros what does it matter if you have a protein shake or ice cream?

I prefer my calorie surplus to come from protein before refined sugar and saturated fat.

Also, the OP is strength training so I think protein should take precedence for this goal. She admitted to being calorie deficit, and I assume she isn't hitting protein goals which are vital for building strength.

actually, carbs are more important when one is bulking, and OP specifically said she wants to gain, and we are in the gaining forum.

and protein shakes contain sugar in them, so you are still consuming sugar. And sugar is not bad for you, so lets just stop that nonsense right now.

+1

Heck when I need to extra calories all I need is graham crackers and peanut butter does it for me every time!!

I also scream ice cream.. There are some no sugar added options like Sweet Freedom Blue Bunny, but again, we are gaining!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Ok I am strength training. I need to eat over 2,000 calories a day at the least. I am prescribed adderal so I really don't want to eat anything in the first place. But even after force feeding myself chicken steak rice avocados everything I still always come up 500-700 calories short. Is there any supplements or foods I could take to make up those calories?

You could always drink a mass gain shake, they're good for 700- 1000 calories,
    you could also eat peanut butter, as that is good for 200 calories per serving
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Fried chicken wings...every time :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Drink your cals, not very filling and can add on cals fast. Add olive oil to soups and sauces. avoid light and diet food, opt for the full fat versions, peanut butter (any nuts or nut butters) pop-tart ice cream sandwiches, and bacon
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Many cooking oils have 200 calories per tablespoon. :)
  • LibbyLong45
    LibbyLong45 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Also, the OP is strength training so I think protein should take precedence for this goal. She admitted to being calorie deficit, and I assume she isn't hitting protein goals which are vital for building strength.
    [/quote]

I am hitting my protein just not carbs or calories. I cooked up Mac and cheese and ended up hitting my
    Goal at the end of the night.

• dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I make my own granola about 500 calories a cup - simple to make - since I make it my self I know what is in it - This week I made maple granola I used:

Half a container of old fashioned rolled oats
    A cup of grade A maple syrup
    vanilla extract
    cinnamon
    dried fruit (banana apple and blackberries )
    almonds
    walnuts
    flax seeds
    Coconut oil

I usually throw in anything else I desire - Im thinking about putting some of my protein powder in next time.

It make a lot lasts about two weeks - So at night when Im deficit calories I have a bowl of homemade granola and yogurt (make my own yogurt as well)
  • tarunjaingjg
    tarunjaingjg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Use mass gainers or whey protein
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Use mass gainers or whey protein

Not to be rude, but please read the thread. She only needs 2000 calories and isn't looking for anything highly processed, which suppliments definitely count as.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I think a home made smoothie might be in order. Full fat milk, a banana, peanut butter etc
  • LibbyLong45
    Options
    Lots of good recipes and ideas =) I'm taking note and will be experimenting my next prep day.
  • Baki550
    Baki550 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ya, they are both right, a calorie is a unit of energy, no matter if you get it from McDonald's or from organic food. By the way, very fast way to get calories AND protein is lean ground turkey.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Baki550 wrote: »
    Ya, they are both right, a calorie is a unit of energy, no matter if you get it from McDonald's or from organic food. By the way, very fast way to get calories AND protein is lean ground turkey.

That would depend on how lean - lean turkey tends to be a lower calorie protein option and would be pretty similar to ground chicken and even ground beef depending on the leaness.
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ok I am strength training. I need to eat over 2,000 calories a day at the least. I am prescribed adderal so I really don't want to eat anything in the first place. But even after force feeding myself chicken steak rice avocados everything I still always come up 500-700 calories short. Is there any supplements or foods I could take to make up those calories?

If you're aiming to bulk up and gain some weight and strength but have a tough time getting in enough calories each day, mass gainer shakes are a great way to help you meet your needs.

However, most commercial weight gain shakes that you purchase in stores are not going to be the ideal choice. Most are low in overall nutrient density and derive most of their carbs from a simple sugar known as maltodextrin.

Instead, a much better option is to make your own homemade weight gainer by mixing your own ingredients together separately. Homemade weight gain shakes will allow you to mix in your own carbohydrate sources to make sure that you're getting adequate vitamins, minerals, fiber and other micronutrients.

On top of this, you can also add in some healthy fats to your homemade weight gain formula to boost the calories and nutritional content even further.

Here's a great homemade mass gainer that you can try out for yourself...

* 8-10 ounces skim milk
    * 1 scoop whey protein powder (any flavor you like)
    * 1/2 cup oatmeal (pre-blend separately first)
    * 1 large banana
    * 2 tablespoons natural peanut or almond butter
    * Pinch of cinnamon
    * 3 Ice cubes

This homemade weight gainer recipe will provide you with an easy dose of 704 calories, 52g protein, 79g carbs and 20g fat. And unlike the standard weight gainers you buy in supplement stores, this particular mass gainer recipe is very nutrient dense and provides the high quality protein, carbs and fats you need to not only maximize muscle gains but to optimize your overall health as well.

You can consume this homemade weight gainer protein shake 1-2 times per day to help you meet your overall calories and macros.

• LibbyLong45
    Options
    elite_nal wrote: »

If you're aiming to bulk up and gain some weight and strength but have a tough time getting in enough calories each day, mass gainer shakes are a great way to help you meet your needs.

However, most commercial weight gain shakes that you purchase in stores are not going to be the ideal choice. Most are low in overall nutrient density and derive most of their carbs from a simple sugar known as maltodextrin.

Instead, a much better option is to make your own homemade weight gainer by mixing your own ingredients together separately. Homemade weight gain shakes will allow you to mix in your own carbohydrate sources to make sure that you're getting adequate vitamins, minerals, fiber and other micronutrients.

On top of this, you can also add in some healthy fats to your homemade weight gain formula to boost the calories and nutritional content even further.

Here's a great homemade mass gainer that you can try out for yourself...

* 8-10 ounces skim milk
    * 1 scoop whey protein powder (any flavor you like)
    * 1/2 cup oatmeal (pre-blend separately first)
    * 1 large banana
    * 2 tablespoons natural peanut or almond butter
    * Pinch of cinnamon
    * 3 Ice cubes

This homemade weight gainer recipe will provide you with an easy dose of 704 calories, 52g protein, 79g carbs and 20g fat. And unlike the standard weight gainers you buy in supplement stores, this particular mass gainer recipe is very nutrient dense and provides the high quality protein, carbs and fats you need to not only maximize muscle gains but to optimize your overall health as well.

You can consume this homemade weight gainer protein shake 1-2 times per day to help you meet your overall calories and macros.

This is perfect thank you so much

• ILoveBreakfast671
    ILoveBreakfast671 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just eat whatever. Mcdonalds, ice cream, protein shake. Whatever I need to fill my macros, I'm gonna eat it.