Running tips, please!

Options
2»

Replies

• ktsdad
    ktsdad Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to find a running group if you are social. Even I do it once in a while and I am an introvert. Also vary your distances. I save my long runs for the weekend when I can vary the time and place. My first ever half marathon is next month, so I am in the height of training distance, about 35 per week, about 20 of it on Sat and Sun.

I run almost only outside, on trails with the dog when possible. Of course I'm spoiled, I live in AZ. Although I have had to learn to run in the dark, both in winter because of time and in summer because of heat. I tend to avoid trails in the summer. Nothing like seeing a rattler on the trail to get the blood flowing. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i've been treadmilling lately because of the ice. for long runs I stream netflix. i've been watching jessica jones.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    Which is fine and all (I have an hour walking commute every day even when it's -40 and I don't find it to be a huge deal if I'm properly attired) but how do you avoid falls? I have Yaktrax or whatever they are but I still feel SO unsafe running on ice/snow, and I really don't want to sprain or break something and bench myself for weeks.

I'm pretty clumsy but I don't feel like this is an irrational fear.

Dressing to run in the cold is a bit trickier than dressing to walk in the cold. When you're walking in the cold you can really bundle up because you don't need the mobility that you do when running, you can wear big, clunky boots, and you don't get near the body temperature fluctuations.

As far as slipping, I haven't found the need to wear YakTrax, or put screws in my shoes. I'm still using the same shoes I wore in the summer. I'm just wearing warmer socks and sometimes I'll put duct tape over the front of my shoes to block the wind.

About 60% of my road running is literally on the roads. With all the salt they spread out to melt the snow the roads are actually pretty clean. I run on roads that either have a very wide shoulder or parking lane, or are residential and get very little traffic. Of the 40% of my running on sidewalks and paved trails, most of that is either packed snow (which is actually very easy and safe to run on) or clear. Where there is ice, it's rarely for long stretches and there's usually a path I can take to avoid it, such as on the grass. Some of my favorite trails have a northern exposure and are too treacherous to run so I will avoid those until the spring melt.

I don't think that winter running in snowy climates is anything to fear or avoid (and I do most of my winter running in the dark, with no headlamp). With common sense, a short stride, and proper dress it's just not a big deal, certainly on more risky that the rocks and roots of trail running. I'm not the only one who feels that way because I see a lot of other folks around here running in the winter.

It's just personal preference but I'd much rather face the slight risk of winter running than be cooped up inside on a treadmill.

Right, so you have much better conditions than we do up here and I'm not crazy.

I think I'll stick with being cooped up, haha.