WHY IS THE WEIGHT NOT COMING OFF?!?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I try to measure mostly everything. Even if I am eating a little more, I am ALWAYS under calories after exercise. I do have PCOS and I am currently going through hormones and fertility to try and have a baby.

BOOM! ^^^^There is your answer!

As a fellow cyster, I can tell you that PCOS makes it VERY difficult to lose. Add in some fertility meds and hormones, and you are going to gain. I'm estimating that you probably have about 5-10 lbs of water weight/bloat going on due to the meds. Slight weight gain is normal when you are on the fertility meds. I gained about 6 lbs when I went through treatment...even while sticking to a 1300 calorie per day and 1-2 hr per day workout routine.

I'd just keep doing what you are doing. You don't want to over work your body if you get pregnant.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    And the baby girl in my profile is the child of my first daughter, so the Clomid worked for me! I did end up gaining 65 lbs from before and during the pregnancy, but lost it all and more thru WW in 4 months after I delivered.
    I then had 2 more children without any assistance, so seems like once I had a child, my fertility problems resolved themselves. Best of luck to you in your family planning!
  • kath7985
    kath7985 Posts: 1
    Options
    well i'm only 2 inches taller then you and weigh 44 pounds more. I agree with those who say you look good already. My best advise is to keep track of now how many calories you eat but how you get to those calories, that good vs bad kind of thing.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I would recommend friending 'MirandaMom' on here. She has PCOS and just found out she's pregnant after years of trying. She started eating more and lifting heavy the last 6 months or so and credits that to her success and pregnancy. Send her a private message.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    An increase in endurance training = an increase in glycogen and water weight. If you have upped your running miles this is playing a big part in your situation.

"First, athlete’s diets typically contain a high percentage of their total calories from carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are broken down into glucose and extra glucose that is not needed immediately for fuel is stored in the muscle and liver in the form of glycogen. Glycogen molecules hold a substantial amount of water, 1 gram of glycogen has 2.7 grams of water with it. So, if you are consuming more carbohydrates, your body is going to contain more water.

This additional water is not the same thing as water retention where excess water is held between cells; the water attached to a glycogen molecule is inside the cells, which makes it healthy. Nevertheless, it can increase your body weight by as much as 3 – 5 pounds. This weight gain is only water weight, not fat weight, therefore it should not be of concern to the athlete or fitness enthusiast that experiences this type of weight gain."

http://www.acefitness.org/blog/1050/why-do-i-seem-to-gain-weight-when-i-start-to-train

Heybales schooled me on this and if you have specific questions look him up here on MFP. The guy is a wealth of info.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've not read everyones replies so sorry if i repeat

do you LOOK and FEEL different? weight is not the be all and end all of weight loss, it is infact a misnomer, you should be concentrating on losing fat mass and increasing muscle mass.

you might be like me, i'm 5'6" and 10 stone, which is fine, i used to be 11 stone and much fitter and stronger with no breadbaby. Now don't need to lose weight necessarily, i need to lose fat. I could stay 10 stone or go back up to 11 and look completely different, i could lose the bread baby and still be 10 stone but have a flat tummy.

clothing sizes are also not a good goal, they are different for different manufacturers and again don't take into account muscles, big thighs often need a larger size, and if you're well endowed in the chest area, again, larger sized tops.

Get a tape measure and measure your main points, bust, chest (ribcage under your bust), waist (your thinnest part), hips (over the bits that stick out at the top of your pelvis, just below your waist), your widest part (round your bum and top of thighs, where your saddle bags are), and around the biggest part of your arms and thighs (near the top). if your'e not sure google it to see where to measure.

measure that once a week or fortnight, and keep an eye on your weight, ignore bmi it's pointless it doesn't take into account muscle and bone density (regardless of what some people say, we are all build differently and there is a small, med and large skeleton).

get used to what you look like in the mirror and see where the changes are being made, you will probably notice them on your legs and arms the most, but the measurements might not change, mine stays roughly at 11-11.5 cm if they're flabby or muscly.

don't despair, just cos your scales say nothing's happening doesn't mean it's not! ;)