slim fast

Options
Hi, anybody out there doing slimfast. I'm coming up to the end of week two and am finding the weight loss really slow. Has anybody had success with it and how quickly or slowly did the weight come off.
Any info would be great,

Replies

• teeduran
    teeduran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use Atkins, it worked better for me. I never had success with slim fast.
  • SavvyShannondeBarros
    Options
    Healthy eating also works...just saying :flowerforyou:
  • Xoe4
    Xoe4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just really drink the drinks when I don't have time to have a real meal. The ready made drinks are delicious! But I don't think actually doing the SlimFast regime would work. Too much sugar in everything. I feel bad drinking one of the shakes because of the high sugar.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I never had success with this either. Unless you're pressed for time and you like the shakes, I'd rather eat food. For the 200ish calories that come in a can, you can eat a chicken breast, a side of green beans and a small salad. Which one will fill you up and be satiating longer?

Also, if it's the convenience of the shakes you like, there are better products for less money you can invest in.
  • TammyS327
    TammyS327 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
  • txgrl63
    txgrl63 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost 167 1/2 pounds over a 19 month period back in 1996 by drinking Slim Fast. I ate one meal per day in the evening, and exercised. It wasn't the fastest method to lose weight, but the weight did come off of me. However, it didn't stay off of me. As soon as I met my goal I immediately began to gain weight. The problem with Slim Fast (at least in my experience) is although it may help the pounds come off, it doesn't teach you how to eat in the real world.

After I reached my goal I didn't want to have to drink Slim Fast for two meals per day for the rest of my life. (By the way, I did not follow their diet plan. I didn't eat any of their snacks or use any of their menu suggestions. I counted calories and drank/ate 1200 calories per day.) Like I mentioned though, as soon as I reached my goal the weight began to pile back on me....faster than I lost it.

I have been overweight since the age 5. The most permanent weight loss solution for me is teaching myself to eat healthy "normal" meals and exercise.

Good luck with whatever method you find works for you!!
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Slim fast doesn't have a good taste... I use EAS advantedge shakes. They are lower in cals and taste ALOT better AND cheaper.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I just really drink the drinks when I don't have time to have a real meal. The ready made drinks are delicious! But I don't think actually doing the SlimFast regime would work. Too much sugar in everything. I feel bad drinking one of the shakes because of the high sugar.

Agree on the sugar content it's crazy high. Personally I don't hink it contains the nutritional values needed. I just use a protein shake if I want something on the run & with set cals. I find it stops my cravings too & fills me up far longer. Plus it's not something thats sustainable long-term unless you like the taste day in day out :noway:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Any diet (diet meaning what you eat, not being on a diet) that incorporates a calorie deficit will facilitate weight loss. If you drink a 180 calorie slimfast in place of a 400 calorie meal and don't eat those extra calories at some other time, make healthy food choices throughout the day and maintain a daily calorie deficit of 250-1000 calories a day, depending on your goal, you will lose weight. I happen to like the vanilla shakes and drink them for breakfast, if I'm crunched for time or as a post workout snack (I eat 5 small meals insteaf of 3 big ones) since I'm not that hungry in the morning or post-workout. I don't follow the slimfast "diet" of 2 shakes a day but I do use them as a low calorie meal option along with other low calorie foods & snacks.

If you only drink 2 shakes and eat a 400 calorie dinner, you are probably consuming too few calories for healthy weight loss. Also, what else you eat during the day is important to weight loss. Whether or not slimfast works, depends on a lot more than just drinking 2 shakes a day.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast gave me room clearing gas. I've never touched any type of meal replacement drink since.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I didn't really like it maybe that is why it didn't work for me I am really not sure. It was very boring there was very little changing things up. Now I just eat what I want and count my calories which has worked for me. Not saying that slim fast can't or will not work but personally I didn't like it. Best of luck to youb:)
  • mizkirsty
    mizkirsty Posts: 21
    Options
    I use slim fast. I have a shake for breakfast else I skip over breakfast my shifts at the hospital start really early and I can't stomach anything that early so I drink it to give my metabolism a kick start and so I've had breakfast.

I do use the bars for lunch bc again it takes the need for planning and preparing whilst I'm on my 13hr shifts. And it keeps my calories low. I aim for 1200 cals daily and exercise very frequently.

My first week I lost 6.5lbs but I'm sure mainly water was lost. I still use them I'm about a month in. When I purely ate healthy and cc I didn't loose at all. Months I counted calories will no success. Probably due to incorrect estimations and lack of preparation and that's why the shakes work for me.

My personal trainer recommended other shakes but these are the only shakes that don't make me vomit!!!! Lol so I'll continue. You have to find what works for you. And eventually when I'm at goal I will incorporate a meal at lunchtimes but think ill continue the shakes at breakfast for simplicity and ease. Xxx
  • happymum37
    happymum37 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks for advice everyone. I'm mainly using them to make me eat something at breakfast and lunch, I have really bad habits and don't normally eat anything till I pick kids up from school. Longer term I will look at just healthy eating but right now I've got to change my habits and concentrate on one thing at a time.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    A couple months ago I did almost all slimfast (plus a 200 calorie mini-meal mid-day) for a couple weeks and lost seven or eight pounds. I personally like the flavor so it wasn't difficult for me to stick to, though I think what I was doing was unrealistic for the long-run given the amount of real-life situations where you can't avoid outside food. But I knew this going in and it was really just for funsies to see what would happen.

I didn't have a problem with feeling deprived or lacking energy because it has enough protein and I was fairly regulated about when I would drink/eat, but I did notice that if I drank a shake too quickly my heart would speed up for about half an hour afterward. Not pleasant. I found this interesting as there are more grams of sugar in the milk that you use than in the SF powder (I was using the mix) and I didn't expect naturally occurring sugar to have this sort of effect. I am now on to a common sense "lots of veggies, some fruit, lean protein, & whole grain" eating plan, and I probably wouldn't go straight SF ever again, but I do still have some around and will drink it if I need a quick something. I still like the way it tastes! And to some extent a calorie deficit is a calorie deficit. If it works for you, do it. Just make sure you're preparing for life after Slim Fast too!
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for advice everyone. I'm mainly using them to make me eat something at breakfast and lunch, I have really bad habits and don't normally eat anything till I pick kids up from school. Longer term I will look at just healthy eating but right now I've got to change my habits and concentrate on one thing at a time.

It sounds like you are using the shakes as a supplement and realize they're not a miracle shake that's going to do something other than help you maintain a lower calorie diet. Keep it up! If you work out regularly, it would be a good idea to up your protein intake. New Whey Protein Shots have 46g of protein and don't taste too bad or contain any sugar or caffeine. Good luck!
  • dd270
    dd270 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm not doing the slim fast program, but my lunch is usually an atkins or slimfast shake and a large apple. It is easy to take to work and it keeps me going until supper. I like the taste. It's working for me.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I use slimfast shakes for low cal lunch. It kinda depends what your calorie limit is but if you're on 1200 and you follow the 321 plan to the letter its likely to result in slow weight loss because the total cals are too high!

3 snacks at around 100 cals each = 300
    2 shakes at 230 cals each = 460
    1 600 cal meal

Total = 1360

Use the slimfast plan as a general guide but track your cals on MFP as well.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

If you don't eat anything during the day because you aren't hungry that's fine to keep doing. No need to drink something just to have something to eat. If you tend to only eat in the evening, consume all your calories at dinner time or close to it.