this is going to sound like complaining...

Options
so i love that i'm losing weight and things are going well. i do. but i HATE that zero of my clothes fit. my bras - too big. my pants - saggy and loose. even my shoes are too big - did you know that can happen?? i've lost about 44 lbs so far and i have about 13 to go until my "re-evaluation" weight - where i decide how much further i want to go. i don't want to buy a full new wardrobe at this point because i'm still on the journey. but seriously - i look like a little kid playing dress up and going to work. so, do i just try to find some cheap clothes in the size i am now knowing that i likely only have a few more months that they'll fit? what do y'all do? and if you do buy some cheaper items in the middle of weight loss - where do you look?

i promise i'm not usually this whiney. i'm super appreciative of MFP and i love that i'm seeing results. i'm just venting in a probably annoying way.

Replies

• Crazii4Cookiezz
    Crazii4Cookiezz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would just buy a few pieces of clothes that you can you mix and match.
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    that's what i'm doing - a pair of black pants, a pair of gray pants, and a few pairs of jeans. i just don't want to spend a ton of money on new stuff when i'm expecting to continue losing. i know it's super annoying to complain about because really i'm pumped i'm getting smaller. but my closet is becoming a "giveaway pile"
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. My pants (that I bought in September!) are too big and look ridiculous. All my shirts are too long now and coming off my shoulder. Who knew my shoulders would shrink? So weird. It does feel like whining, but it's a side effect that is simultaneously awesome and frustrating.
  • kendanault
    kendanault Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you but we have a jean store here that have buy one pair of pants and get the second half off. So I'll buy one pair of "now" size and one pair of a size or two smaller. That way I at least have pants that fit me! Maybe you can find a similar deal? It also works great as a "work to goal!" Best of luck!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I shop the clearance racks...sometimes thrift stores. I have several tops right now that are too big so I plan to turn them in to sleep shirts this summer.

In pants/capris I usually buy leggings so they will last through multiple sizes.

Bras IMO are the most difficult. I am almost to the point of needing to buy some. I have one too big...one that is borderline too big and one that fits (of course it is my least favorite).
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are where it is at!!
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Make the big stuff last as long as possible and buy inexpensive things to bridge you a few months. Buy them slightly smaller than you currently need so you're squeezing in but so that they still fit. That will give you an extra month over buying cloths that fit well today. It's the best problem in the world, enjoy it!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hit up Goodwill or Salvation Army. They won't usually have clothes 'in style', but there's plenty of classics and simple things to mix and match with. If this isn't your final weight, no point in spending a ton of money on a new wardrobe when you'll have to do it again soon.

Some of your shirts might do for layering, too. I don't know what kinds of shirts you have, but if you have some that open front, they might look good loose over a solid shirt of some kind. I've had to do that, and it worked just fine for keeping me in work clothing without having to replace everything at once.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You could always try tailoring your clothes. Some pieces are harder than others, due to patterns, but if you have a sewing machine (or needles, thread, and patience) you can do it yourself.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    May all of your problems be on a similar scale :) Do they have Walmart where you are? Cheap staples are pretty much what they do.
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. The worst part is thinking about an outfit for the next day at night just to find out that it looks horrible when you put it on in the morning because everything is way too big, especially if I haven't worn a shirt or so in a while. Right now I only have three pair of pants that fit properly; a black pair, a grey pair and some cargo pants. My biggest salvation however are leggings/tights and stretchy skirts. Those are very losing/gaining friendly. I'm a little bit sad that some of my favorite clothes don't fit me anymore but being a student I can't really afford to get them altered.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Buy some clothes. Black t-shirts, black pants, black skirt (if you wear skirts.) Twinset-type cardigan sweaters to put over the t-shirts (they help disguise a bit of bagginess.) Don't sentence yourself to looking like a frump throughout your weight loss process.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    GoodWill and consignment shops. Don't pay full price for something you're gonna shrink out of!
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! i did find some cheap work-type pants online at target and some jeans on sale from old navy so that should get me through for a while. and i bought a 6 pack of bras from amazon for $30, haha. they're probably super cheaply made but they'll do. i think the worst part is my shoes not fitting - do you know how many pairs i've acquired over the years!!

also, my husband has lost about the same amount as me, but he's only 6 lbs until his goal weight. he's holding out to buy new clothes until then. he keeps just tightening his belt...but it looks so ridiculous.

all good problems though.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I always have a minimal wardrobe, but it would work for you too, until you want to buy more.

My normal wardrobe:

1pair jeans
    2 pairs black exercise pants
    5 t shirts
    2 tank tops
    1 bra
    1 sports bra
    5 prs socks, 5 prs undies.
    1 pr running shoes
    1 pr flip flops
    1 pr raint boots
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Target, Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx...I've gone from a 22 to an 8 and it is hard to afford wardrobe updates at every stage along the way.

Thankfully, dresses with leggings were in style when my weight was changing the fastest and both of those things are fairly forgiving.

Oh, adjustable pieces such as wrap dresses...they are your friends!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    megjay18 wrote: »
    thanks everyone! i did find some cheap work-type pants online at target and some jeans on sale from old navy so that should get me through for a while. and i bought a 6 pack of bras from amazon for $30, haha. they're probably super cheaply made but they'll do. i think the worst part is my shoes not fitting - do you know how many pairs i've acquired over the years!!

also, my husband has lost about the same amount as me, but he's only 6 lbs until his goal weight. he's holding out to buy new clothes until then. he keeps just tightening his belt...but it looks so ridiculous.

all good problems though.

Congrats to you both! But honestly, if you can, try to acquire a few pieces that fit well. It will do wonders for your self-esteem and continued motivation! All the ideas given so far are great: buy clearance and sales, tailor what you can, thrift shops and consignment stores, etc. It's possible to make a little money by taking your too-big clothes to a consignment shop.

Sorry to hear about the shoes, though! I have a shoe addiction and it would be hard to give up my collection.
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Sell your shoes on Craigslist or similar! Save the pics of them and re-buy your faves with the money you make. Good luck!