Junk food to healthy food

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for a transition from junk food to healthy foods? I eat alot of vegetables and fruits so that will not be the hard part. But trying to make healthy dinners for a family of 6 when my husband loves red meats and 4 kids that look at certain foods and say that looks nasty im not eating it. Any suggestions to some healthy recipes for the family would be great.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    red meat is not a junk food..

My suggestion make sure that you are hitting nutrient needs through items like chicken, fish, rice,vegetables, etc, but there is nothing wrong with adding in some calorie dense options to your diet like bagels, pasta, ice cream, pizza, etc...

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you're already eating fruits and vegetables, what foods is your family rejecting?
  • chereenbruce850503
    chereenbruce850503 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know red meat is not junk food but it is higher in calories than pork and chicken. My kids want lots of pizza, chili cheese dogs, and burgers.. Fried foods.. Ect... And im trying to find a way to get them to go from that to healthier foods. And a way to try to not eat red meats every day of the week. That way i dont have as much of a temptation to eat the higher in calorie foods. Making healther meals for the family. I am a mom of 4 and trying to make a dinner dor them and something seperate for me that is lower in calories is tough and makes me want to give in sometimes and just what they eat. And i have.and have given up on weight loss because of it in the past.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Maybe try looking online for healthy children-friendly recipes and ways to hide extra veggies in their food if they think it's yucky otherwise. You can also just eat the same stuff your kids and partner eat, just make sure your own portion size fits your weight loss goals. Add in your veggies & fruit to your own diet to boost the nutrient count!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I know red meat is not junk food but it is higher in calories than pork and chicken. My kids want lots of pizza, chili cheese dogs, and burgers.. Fried foods.. Ect... And im trying to find a way to get them to go from that to healthier foods. And a way to try to not eat red meats every day of the week. That way i dont have as much of a temptation to eat the higher in calorie foods. Making healther meals for the family. I am a mom of 4 and trying to make a dinner dor them and something seperate for me that is lower in calories is tough and makes me want to give in sometimes and just what they eat. And i have.and have given up on weight loss because of it in the past.

I have no idea if your children need to change their diets or not, but asking someone else to change their diet because *you* want to change yours typically doesn't work that well.

It sounds like you're wanting them to eat differently so you can eat differently. And I understand it can be a pain to make different things. But look at it from their point of view -- you're asking them to change for you and children aren't always the greatest at being unselfish.

Have you thought about making side dishes that can double as a main dish for you and then using their main dish as a side? That way you can have some of what you like, but fill up on the foods that help you meet your goals? Example: Dinner is pizza and salad (with a protein that meets your needs). You fill up on salad, have a piece of pizza, and everyone else can have the pizza and salad that they want.

Sometimes my husband will want something like fried potato skins for dinner. So we'll make potato skins, I'll have a few with another dish that I've prepared and he'll have mostly potato skins (he is really good at naturally regulating his weight, so he doesn't count calories).

If you need other people to change their diets for you to change yours . . . I don't know if that is sustainable.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. My top recommendations are the pork carnitas and the Sautéed Brussels Sprouts.

As others have said, red meat isn't bad, but it is higher in saturated fat than other meats. Still, a steak doesn't need much addition to be good. Chicken on the other had needs other flavors to be good. When I go to Outback, the steak option is better for me then the Alice Springs Chicken.

Replace ground beef with ground turkey, preferably ground turkey breast for things like tacos that have a lot of other flavors. This wont work as well for burgers.

Find recipes you like for pork tenderloins. Very lean and very much like a beef tenderloin (filet mignon). Don't overcook them--145 F at most.

What "red meat' dishes do you have every day of the week?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You can make some of those things healthy. Use a flatbread crust for make your own pizza. Tacos are easy and usually universally liked. Make spaghetti and meatballs, but use zoodles for you. Have chili cheese dogs one night. Use whole wheat buns, or you skip the bun, turkey dogs, lower fat chili, etc. Use leaner beef or turkey and make burgers. You can eat those foods, just weigh and portion. Make the shift gradually, don't take away all their favorites at once, and still have them sometimes.
  • chereenbruce850503
    Options
    One of my kiddos favorites is burgers, and sloppy joes. Steaks, occasionally spaghetti. Tacos. meatloaf. A lot of hamburger meat. Im not saying i want to change everything that they eat. I just want to give them more options that they might like. That are healthier. Other than just high in fat foods.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Teach your kids to eat what's for dinner or go to bed hungry.

Then make balanced dinners. Nothing wrong with red meat, just pick leaner cuts of meat, and find tasty ways to cook leaner protein that your husband will like.
  • chereenbruce850503
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    You can make some of those things healthy. Use a flatbread crust for make your own pizza. Tacos are easy and usually universally liked. Make spaghetti and meatballs, but use zoodles for you. Have chili cheese dogs one night. Use whole wheat buns, or you skip the bun, turkey dogs, lower fat chili, etc. Use leaner beef or turkey and make burgers. You can eat those foods, just weigh and portion. Make the shift gradually, don't take away all their favorites at once, and still have them sometimes.

Thank you.i dont want to take there fav. Foods from them. I just want to give them healthier options and let them choose. Or still keep the same foods and make them healthier. Im not trying to change everyones diet.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    We do sloppy joes (in fact that is tonight). They way we make them with with ground turkey, bbq sauce, mustard, and various spices. I have started using BBQ with a lot less calories. Tacos, use ground turkey. Steaks, get leaner cuts and partake. Burger night, grill yourself a chicken breast is you are okay with making two meals.

Here's a great turkey meatball recipe. We typically don't go with the spaghetti squash and use regular noodles instead.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/turkey-meatballs-with-spaghetti-squash-in-tomato-sauce-recipe.html
  • chereenbruce850503
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Then make balanced dinners. Nothing wrong with red meat, just pick leaner cuts of meat, and find tasty ways to cook leaner protein that your husband will like.

Thank you for your reply.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

when I was a kid my mom cooked food and she made me eat it...if you don't want your kids eating that stuff then don't make it..problem solved.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I make my own "junk food". I know exactly what goes in it, which makes experimentation easy and eases my periodic germ-phobia, and it's usually half the calories than restaurant versions.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Just do little switches. Use turkey dogs instead of regular hot dogs. Use turkey sausage for breakfast. I love Hormel Turkey Chili if you go for the canned stuff. My husband made his own dough and made us all personal pizza last night, it totally stayed within my calories and macros.

My son is minorly special needs, part of his issue makes him very picky about food. Little changes and new food introductions being spaced days apart have been a lifesaver for us.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Basically.

The world has changed drastically since I was a kid. I never got to choose what was served at any meal until I was able to make it or buy it myself.

OP, the reason most kids are so picky is because they aren't made to try enough new things. There are exceptions - if any of your kids has autism or some other issue then that's a different matter. Then you are likely stuck with needing to cook a separate meal.
  • canadianmom1975
    canadianmom1975 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use piniterest...i make homemade tacos and my kids and hubby like it better...when making spaghetti i make mine with spaghetti squash and the family getss noodles....and i sometimes have half and half for me...that way i can have more...ill buy rotisserie chicken or you can make your own and its in the fridge and ill make quasdisas..wraps...burgers i make them homemade with either ground beef and but for me ill make turkey burgers and put the extra in freezer that way when the family is having a not so healthy meal..ill have the turkey burger

I read someones post about not making the famiky change their eating habits...yes i made my family change..its important that the kids learn to be healthy and my family eats what the chef cooks or they go hungry or make a pb sandwhich...if we tach the kids early enough hopefully when they are older they wont have the health issues are generation has. I try to eat and cook as clean as possible but i do buy quick frozen meals for when the hubby has to cook and like tonight iam making the family favorite mac cheese...it doesnt happen as often as it used to but I do take request lol

I cant think of the website off hand but google fork to fix...amaxing healthy recipes that are kids and hubby aproved
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I think if you spend a little time with recipes and planning as suggested, then don't announce that this is healthy or low calorie foot then you might meet less resistance. Continue with some red meat days but add in healthier sides.
    Casseroles and lasagna are a great way to sneak in more vegetables.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Basically.

The world has changed drastically since I was a kid. I never got to choose what was served at any meal until I was able to make it or buy it myself.

OP, the reason most kids are so picky is because they aren't made to try enough new things. There are exceptions - if any of your kids has autism or some other issue then that's a different matter. Then you are likely stuck with needing to cook a separate meal.

Yeah.

I fess up though - we had to bribe our kids with dessert. They have to finish their plate if they want dessert. Now they eat most things willingly (and if not, we ask them to at least try it). We give them SMALL portions though.. and obviously they can get seconds if they want... and even this way they're always 'hungry' after dinner (sigh). So at least I'm not feeling like we're setting them up for eating disorders for making them finish their plate.

And dessert is one scoop of ice cream or a cookie, typically.