Male 41 want to get healthy and lose 20-30 lbs any advice welcome

Options
So im 41 years old and i want to be healthier. I started a challenge with a friend on January 6 to walk everyday for 30 mins for 30 days. I am at day 21 and still going strong. Although i have upped what i walk to 8kms per day for the last 10 days now takes me approx an hour and 20 mins. I also live in Canada so the weather is not always in my favour but i have not missed a day yet. I started to use MFP about 10 days ago and am still learning.

I get 1660 calories per day on the lose a pound per week program. Which i have no problem with yet.
I track everything i eat i do not weigh it as i do not have a scale.

I am looking for advice on meals and if the excersise is to much. i feel great and can already see a difference.

Any input would be appreciated.

SW 191 LBS
CW 185 LBS
GW 160 is what is considered healthy but for now my goal is 170.

TIA

Replies

• Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    6 pounds in 21 days. (2 pounds per week avg) as long as you don't feel you are starving and have energy for the walks I say stay on it.
  • keith883
    keith883 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was starving myself at first now i feel better with what im eating and the lose will slow down im sure. I was a terrible snacker and i have cut that out completey.
  • mdrossmiller
    mdrossmiller Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh every meal, but I'd recommend a cheap digital scale when you can... it's good for calibrating your typical portions to reality every so often.

I started getting serious with the same basic goal a few months ago...observed the first 10 pounds dropped fast, then had to up the exercise recently to get off my plateau. I'm targeting daily exercise equivalent to 500 cal, which I think is roughly the same as what you are doing.

Feel free to add me if you want.
  • GoJohnGo71
    GoJohnGo71 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Your story is almost exactly like mine. I'm in Winnipeg. Best of luck.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Keep it up but get a digital scale like mdrossmiller said. One with a tare feature.

Also, how tall are you? Just wondering how you came up with 160 for a goal weight.
  • keith883
    Options
    5 foot seven and when i went to one of those BMI sites thats what came up. Is that wrong? I am knew to this so any advice is helpful.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Not wrong at all. I'm 5'9" and 165 now. Out of shape but it feels like a good weight. I've been 155 and was working out and looked really good.

That being said, don't put too much stock in BMI. Get to a weight you're comfortable at, exercise if you want (it'll help you get in shape!) and rock on.

Check this out:

bmi-comparison.gif
  • keith883
    Options
    Thanks thats why for the moment i am aiming for 170. I believe this to be a fair goal for now. Then i will see if my belly has left by then. If i need more i work on it then. Baby steps haha.
    Thanks for the encouragment.