Has anyone tried the 8 Hour Diet?

Options
I've just started reading "The 8 Hour Diet" by David Zinczenko which is basically saying that by confining your eating to an 8 hour period and following a few healthy guidelines, you can eat whatever you want and lose weight if you do it at least 3 days per week. I've been doing it for a week but have not noticed any difference in my weight loss. Has anyone had any experience with this? :smile:

Replies

• pjsdj
    pjsdj Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I tried it for about a month and I didn't see any results
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    rip off of lg if.

cals in vs out is more important than feeding time/frequency
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Calories in/calories out. Doesn't make any difference if you eat them all at once or spread out over the whole day. You did make someone else richer by buying their book though!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I just try to keep it steady and journal every bite honestly. I swim an hour a day, doing laps. That's enough for me. I tried to get all low-carb, but it made me sick, even though I lost five pounds in a week.

Here's wisdom from a MFP friend of mine:

"If you can't do it for a week, what makes you think you can do it for a lifetime?"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I've just started reading "The 8 Hour Diet" by David Zinczenko which is basically saying that by confining your eating to an 8 hour period and following a few healthy guidelines, you can eat whatever you want and lose weight if you do it at least 3 days per week. I've been doing it for a week but have not noticed any difference in my weight loss. Has anyone had any experience with this? :smile:
    David Zinczenko succeeded................................in making money off some BS. Sorry, there really isn't any secret diet. Eat less, move more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference the time frame of your eating... if your not eating less than what you expend your not going to lose weight... this "diet" sounds like an easy way to gain weight :( You should stop looking for "diets" and work towards a lifestyle change :flowerforyou: you'll lose weight faster than if you kept trying all the "diets" out there because you would just start on the thing that actually works :)
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Calories in/calories out. Doesn't make any difference if you eat them all at once or spread out over the whole day. You did make someone else richer by buying their book though!

Well, the jury is in! Guess I'll return the book to the library......:wink:
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    David Zinczenko succeeded................................in making money off some BS. Sorry, there really isn't any secret diet. Eat less, move more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    The only way that would really have any effect is if limiting your eating to 8 hours caused you to cut down your calories (which, for many, probably would).

If it makes you feel less hungry/more satisfied to do it that way, nothing wrong with it, but not necessary either.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a form of Intermittent Fasting. Many people fast 16 hours and eat during an 8 hour window. I've done different forms with shorter and longer windows, but yes, if you maintain your calorie deficit, you will lose weight. This type of eating can be helpful for people who are binge- and late-night eaters because it sets down firm rules.

There's an IF group here with FAQs and links. Here's the Wikipedia entry:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting
  • SusanL222
    Options
    The only way that would really have any effect is if limiting your eating to 8 hours caused you to cut down your calories (which, for many, probably would).

If it makes you feel less hungry/more satisfied to do it that way, nothing wrong with it, but not necessary either.

In my limited time of trying it, I was basically sticking to my calorie goal and I did feel less hungry. So what you say was my experience.:smile:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I just try to keep it steady and journal every bite honestly. I swim an hour a day, doing laps. That's enough for me. I tried to get all low-carb, but it made me sick, even though I lost five pounds in a week.

Here's wisdom from a MFP friend of mine:

"If you can't do it for a week, what makes you think you can do it for a lifetime?"

Some people have followed a form of IF for several years with success. On Facebook, for example, there's a group for Fast 5. Michael Mosley, a BBC presenter with a medical degree who did a program on fasting (he wrote a book too) apparently uses Alternate Day Fasting as his weight maintenance method.

Although weight loss/maintenance is a matter of calories in/out (basically) the method you use can increase compliance. Many people like IF because if they eat several times a day they have multiple opportunities to overeat. With IF, they can stay within their calorie goals without much effort. Fasting usually does not cause great hunger pangs.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Yes calories in vs. calories out is what makes any successful diet plan work, but people need to set the boundaries that suit them. If only eating between certain times sounds like it's the kind of boundary that would help you limit your calories over the course of the day, go for it. :flowerforyou:
  • Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    I've never heard of this, but I have done alot of research about weight loss and I agree with everyone else. The frequency and time doesn't matter as much as calories in vs. calories out :)
  • joedlfowler
    joedlfowler Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Been doing IF for 19 days. Check the ticker. Pushing a 26lb weight loss in 19 days.

As mentioned, it is an easy way to control caloric intake, primarily.
  • SusanL222
    Options
    Been doing IF for 19 days. Check the ticker. Pushing a 26lb weight loss in 19 days.

As mentioned, it is an easy way to control caloric intake, primarily.
    WTG! :flowerforyou:
  • sammybella
    sammybella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think it has its place, it is meant for more health benefits then purely weight loss. it is recommended you remove 20% of your TDEE and eat those calories in an 8 hour window. In my case its around 1400 calories.. by starting to eat later in the day and finish eating early (I do 11,30-7.30) I find its easy to stick to the recommended calories
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Sounds one of those complete cons from someone desperate to make money out of the dieting industry.