Need help! I want to gain muscle mass but loose some excess fat

Options
So I started at 145 lbs a few months ago and was on a vegan diet. To gain some weight I ditched the vegan diet and added dairy and meat to my menu and instantly started gaining. So now I'm 170 lbs but I've lost a lot of definition in my abs, I want to keep the mass and define my abs... Any suggestions?

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you either intentionally or unintentionally started a bulk. The only way to lose that extra fat on your abs is going to be cutting it off through calorie deficit once you reach the goal weight of your bulk. Are you lifting to help maintain/increase muscle mass?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many more calories where you eating as compared to the vegan diet and what time frame.

But like becomingbane said, to see your abs you will need to cut first and then bulk if you want more mass. Also, a good progressive lifting program will be beneficial.
  • kachedada
    kachedada Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting a lot especially working my back and shoulders, I actually passed my goal weight by five pounds and seem to keep gaining. Should I continue bulking or start cutting calories?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'd say bulk while lifting to increase mass, but you might want to slow the roll of the bulk a little to keep it a lean/clean bulk if you find you are gaining quickly.

or cut back to a leaner bf% if abs are that important to you. It'll be tough to achieve both goals simultaneously... not impossible, but tough.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I'd say bulk while lifting to increase mass, but you might want to slow the roll of the bulk a little to keep it a lean/clean bulk if you find you are gaining quickly.

or cut back to a leaner bf% if abs are that important to you. It'll be tough to achieve both goals simultaneously... not impossible, but tough.

this

depend on what your goals are...
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Whoa...you gained 25lbs in 2 months from vegan to meat eating? Is that realistic? I'm low fat plant based, at 10% bf and I just started to build again at 170lbs and my goal is to get down to 8% bf and gain 1lb of muscle per week for the next 2 months. I'm not doing anything diff but eating more of what I already eat and increased my protein intake to 20%. I'm at 65% carbs, 15% fat and 20% protein and that is working for me. I'd rather gradually increase my protein to get results instead of getting too much protein or taking supplements.
  • Baki550
    Baki550 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great way to get calories AND protein is lean ground turkey. Has lots of protein per serving and a decent amount of calories.
  • kachedada
    Options
    Rawroy, I wasn't eating near enough calories while I was on a vegan diet, I was less than 6% bf and had just come back from some health issues. I'd say that about 15 pounds was just getting to my natural weight. With out my health issues limiting my appetite I've found I can eat as much as I want. I like that you get your macros with out supplements.
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    kachedada wrote: »
    Rawroy, I wasn't eating near enough calories while I was on a vegan diet, I was less than 6% bf and had just come back from some health issues. I'd say that about 15 pounds was just getting to my natural weight. With out my health issues limiting my appetite I've found I can eat as much as I want. I like that you get your macros with out supplements.

It's easy to get calories if you are eating vegan junk food, so I'm assuming you were eating mostly fruits and veggies right?

If you want to increase calories the healthy way, add more rice, beans, potatoes, and pastas and if that fills you up to much, then put down some smoothies. I just cooked 2 cups of Quinoa in my rice cooker the other night and put down 1.5 cups = 552 calories, 96 carbs and 21g protein.

I used to spend all night in the kitchen cooking up vegan recipes but after a while, the excitement wears off and it feels so nice to just keep it simple! Now I'll just throw 4 potatoes in the mic, put rice in my rice cooker, bowl up some pasta or beans, and chow down with vegetables, sirachi, nutritional yeast and spices on top and I'm happy :)

Follow this guy, Jon Venus, on youtube because he shows you what he eats in a day, his workout routine, and lifestyle. All the youtube channels that do that help me.
  • kachedada
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I definitely complicated things by trying mostly raw foods. At this point I'm really wanting to revert to a vegan diet but increase the carbs drastically. Do you know of any other vegans on here?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I definitely complicated things by trying mostly raw foods. At this point I'm really wanting to revert to a vegan diet but increase the carbs drastically. Do you know of any other vegans on here?

BecomingBane (a few post up) is a vegan.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    So I started at 145 lbs a few months ago and was on a vegan diet. To gain some weight I ditched the vegan diet and added dairy and meat to my menu and instantly started gaining. So now I'm 170 lbs but I've lost a lot of definition in my abs, I want to keep the mass and define my abs... Any suggestions?

you gained 25 pounds in a few months?
  • kachedada
    Options
    Just started following Jon Venus and he's got me super stoked about getting serious. I am recovering from a torn rotator cuff that I recently reinjured but hopefully that won't impact my weight lifting too much. Thanks guys your suggestions have been great!
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This is called a change in body composition. Play around with your macros by decreasing your carb intake and upping your protein. Keep fats at around the same. It goes without saying that carbs should be complex (unless it's right after a workout) while trying to avoid bread of any kind, and the protein should be lean for the most part but don't be afraid of Omega 3 fats and some saturated fats from meats.

After a week or so, you'll want to be roughly the same weight or slightly heavier but with greater definition: this will tell you that you're cutting some fat while still building muscle.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    rickyll wrote: »
    This is called a change in body composition. Play around with your macros by decreasing your carb intake and upping your protein. Keep fats at around the same. It goes without saying that carbs should be complex (unless it's right after a workout) while trying to avoid bread of any kind, and the protein should be lean for the most part but don't be afraid of Omega 3 fats and some saturated fats from meats.

After a week or so, you'll want to be roughly the same weight or slightly heavier but with greater definition: this will tell you that you're cutting some fat while still building muscle.

no way a recomp is going to take a week, sorry.

A recomp is process that can take six months to a year. Just playing around with your macros is not going to get your shredded in seven days, sorry it does not work that way.

OP has two options..

eat in a small surplus and bulk for x amount of time, or run a recomp for six months to a year.
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options

ndj1979 wrote: »

A recomp is process that can take six months to a year. Just playing around with your macros is not going to get your shredded in seven days, sorry it does not work that way.

OP has two options..

eat in a small surplus and bulk for x amount of time, or run a recomp for six months to a year.

My bad, "after a week or so" was meant to indicate a progress check, as in after a week or so he should make sure he's on the right track. I didn't mean that the whole process would take only a week.
  • ndj1979
    Options

OP has two options..

My bad, "after a week or so" was meant to indicate a progress check, as in after a week or so he should make sure he's on the right track. I didn't mean that the whole process would take only a week.

right, well when you say "after one week you should be the same weight with greater definition" it kind of sounds like you are saying that one can expect great gains in one week …

my bad if I misunderstood your statement….
  • psuLemon
    Options

OP has two options..

right, well when you say "after one week you should be the same weight with greater definition" it kind of sounds like you are saying that one can expect great gains in one week …

my bad if I misunderstood your statement….

Even then progress should be checked every 4 to 6 weeks. A week or two won't even allow for the fluctuations in glycogen, sodium and/or changes in food amounts in the gi system to level off.
  • XzabkoScott
    XzabkoScott Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The goal is 5lb in 5 weeks. One pound a week. Doable! Especially with a mass building workout and food regimen.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    See "New Rules of Lifting" and use fat loss routine.