Difference of meals....?

Options
Hi,
Why is eating breakfast so important? I eat a small breakfast then my lunch & dinner are the same nutrition info approx.

Replies

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It's not important at all actually - you can eat it or skip it. Won't affect weight loss.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    It's not. Whatever you prefer and can stick to is best.

"Breakfast is important" would be a great campaign for a breakfast cereal manufacturer to start though, dontcha think? :)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    It's not.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is important ... for those people for whom it is an essential meal of the day. And it is not important for others who are happier not eating breakfast.

I think the notion that breakfast is important came from a popular notion that eating breakfast kickstarts your metabolism for the day. But I think there have been studies to show that it doesn't matter when you eat your calories? I can't quote any sources, just going by memory of past threads here.

I think some think breakfast is important because it may stop them snacking mid morning or something like that ... For me, I do eat breakfast but I eat it around lunchtime, or as late as possible. I can manage to not eat in the morning without feeling hungry but as soon as I do eat, my appetite wakes up. I prefer intermittent fasting style of eating meals where I load as many calories into the end of the day, rather than spread out evenly during the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is super important....to me...because,

d1f59d3a8ba0e695fd32841fd667a40a.gif
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Before breakfast cereals few folks even ate breakfast. The bit about it being the most important meal was a very old advertising slogan. Eat how you like no breakfast, light breakfast, biggest meal of your day it's all good.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I say only have it if it works for you. If it doesn't, then don't. If you were looking at a way to change things up so they weren't so routing, that might be a good way to do it - having some Greek yogurt in the morning or something. But if you don't want to have it - don't.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Breakfast is super important....to me...because,

d1f59d3a8ba0e695fd32841fd667a40a.gif

It's my favorite meal too!
  • Janehds0284
    Janehds0284 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I try to cut down my late night snack so I always wake up hungry but I drink plenty of water befor meal so it's filling and breakfast portion then won't be too big :) but do what you are confortable with. I saw many people on here eat low cal for breakfast and lunch then very big dinner they stil lose weight.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Because you have fasted all night (presumably) and need energy to be active during the day.

That said--if a large breakfast doesn't work for you, there is no reason you must eat one. Adapt meal timing and size as you like.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    It's not. Whatever you prefer and can stick to is best.

"Breakfast is important" would be a great campaign for a breakfast cereal manufacturer to start though, dontcha think? :)

Yes, it's a little like "Milk, it does a body good."
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    I think some think breakfast is important because it may stop them snacking mid morning or something like that ... For me, I do eat breakfast but I eat it around lunchtime, or as late as possible. I can manage to not eat in the morning without feeling hungry but as soon as I do eat, my appetite wakes up. I prefer intermittent fasting style of eating meals where I load as many calories into the end of the day, rather than spread out evenly during the day.

This is me. As soon as i start eating.....i graze and eat all day. My breakfast is usually around 12, lunch at 2, dinner at 5, snack at 7, snack at 9, bed at 10.

If i start that clock at 8am....i have to fit 2 extra meals/large snacks into my calories....which isnt easy!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Before breakfast cereals few folks even ate breakfast. The bit about it being the most important meal was a very old advertising slogan. Eat how you like no breakfast, light breakfast, biggest meal of your day it's all good.

This. It's in the name. Breakfast: to break the fast. Historically humans would wake up and go to work in the fields or hunt or whatever, then return to break that fast by eating (they really don't mean sleeping in this context). Brunch was the ticket of the day pre-breakfast cereals and 9-5's.

You shouldn't eat when you're not hungry. Not just because it's not going to help with weight loss, but also cause think how absurd that really is. We're all here from eating more than we needed to or when we didn't need to, and one of the key benefits of calorie counting is to learn how to sustain weight loss for the future. That means you need to be paying attention to your real hunger signals so you can learn to recognize which are real and which are boredom manifesting itself as hunger. So if you are really hungry for breakfast, eat breakfast, but if you're only hungry at 1 in the afternoon, that's fine too. And yes, you are welcome to have cereal at 1 in the afternoon to break your fast ;)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I think it kind of comes down to circadian rhythms and listening to your body. I'm a morning person. I like a good breakfast shortly after I wake up, and I rarely consume a lot of calories after 8 pm. My husband is NOT a morning person. He's a night-owl. Eating breakfast is hard for him, and can actually make him sick to his stomach. He needs to be awake at least a couple of hours before he eats anything. He likes to workout at 9 or 10 at night and then have a late snack.
    Some people need breakfast and do better during the day if we eat early. And some people do better in the middle of the night (...because they're wacko freaks! ;) )