mental health problems/illness and diet and exercise

Options

Replies

• MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    I suffer from depression and I have found that exercise and keeping my body moving help immensely. Also,one of my favorite quotes here "Food is the most widely abused anti-anxiety drug in America, and exercise is the most potent and underutilized antidepressant."
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from depression and anxiety and I pretty much didn't leave the house for most of January and then forced myself to leave the house and go for a walk every day. Even if it was just into town and back. This was also when I started on MFP and wanted the extra calories. I found it good for my mental health - just getting out and breathing fresh air, not being in the same 4 walls, making a decision and seeing through, sense of achievement. All really small things but huge achievements for me back then.
  • phillipakj
    phillipakj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was attending hospital 5 days a week for many years for treatment for mental health problems and when I was discharged I started going to the gym to replace the routine of going to hospital. And I've found it has been a very positive move and I'm really please that more than a year half later I have stuck with it and it is now part of my lifestyle.
    I put on a lot of weight a few years ago due to a mix of mental illness and medication to combat it and I'm now losing the weight.
    I've made friends at the gym, which means I am less isolated and diet and exercise gives me a focus which can help with intrusive thoughts etc
    One thing I have found is that the physical effects of having mental health problems tends to get over looked as well as the side effects of medication.
    It just seems to mess with everything- I have migraines, heavy limbs, muscle pain, vertigo, fatigue and I always look exhausted.
    Can anyone else relate to this?

Sorry for what you are going through but you are on the right track. As for feeling sluggish, do you eat enough magnesium. I had been feeling so exhausted and having muscle pain, vertigo...etc but my doctors didnt help much. Taking multivitamins and magnesium supplements helped. I figured I was actually suffering from magnesium deficiency and that worsened because of working out too much and not eating any magnesium at all. I hope this will help you. All the best!
  • spiritedsaviour
    spiritedsaviour Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I take a cocktail of 6 different psych drugs a day.

I've been on so many I can't list them all.

The worst of the bunch caused me to gain 65 pounds in just a few months. I craved sugar so bad I could have sat in the floor with a bag of sugar and a spoon.

You sound exactly like me. I've taken so much medication to help me with my depression and psychosis that I can't remember what life without regular meds is like!! I've put on 4stone in the last year and have gone from not being bothered by chocolate to needing at least a kit Kat a day otherwise my tastebuds go a little crazy!! I've made my peace with my weight as I know I'm doing my best, however I'm using the gym and healthy regime to give me a new focus and with it hopefully I'll be able to come off everything organically
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I think that medication made it easier for me to diet. I'm on something simple, just one, that doesn't prevent me from eating anything. Exercise has always been my self medication of choice .... actually my entire family is riddled with anxiety disorders and all of us are daily exercisers, and no fun to be around if we can't get our daily dose of endorphins.
  • stormyinfinity
    Options
    I know how you feel, OP. I've been dealing with clinical depression, generalized anxiety and panic attacks since I was about 12 years old. I was put on various medications over the years and didn't appreciate the side effects. I dealt with all the same ones you had to put up with. My memory was messed up, my hands shook, and I felt like a zombie most of the time. Plus all the weight I gained was hell on my body. One day I just decided I was going to deal with my mental heath on my own instead of using medication (since we've all heard the jokes about side effects being worse than what the medication actually treats!). After all the stages of withdrawal, I've never felt better. The weight is slowly coming off and I feel more like myself. Sure, the anxiety and depression won't ever fully go away, but I've come to accept that. I'm not advocating just stopping medication without advice from doctors, nor is this medical advice. But I just want to let you know that things can and will get better. Mind over matter.
  • saoirse32
    saoirse32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am glad I found this thread, I have recently being diagnosed as going through my third bout of depression and have just started medication to help with this. This time my new side to my depression is anxiety / panic attacks which started a couple of weeks ago which pushed me to go to my doctor.

I am currently finding it really hard to sleep at night and can still be awake at 3am meaning the next day I can barely function meaning I don't leave the house only to take the dog out, currently signed off work. I managed to go to the gym yesterday with my OH which I enjoyed. How did you cope in the first few weeks until you got used to the medication?
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am glad I found this thread, I have recently being diagnosed as going through my third bout of depression and have just started medication to help with this. This time my new side to my depression is anxiety / panic attacks which started a couple of weeks ago which pushed me to go to my doctor.

I am currently finding it really hard to sleep at night and can still be awake at 3am meaning the next day I can barely function meaning I don't leave the house only to take the dog out, currently signed off work. I managed to go to the gym yesterday with my OH which I enjoyed. How did you cope in the first few weeks until you got used to the medication?
    I've been on medication a really long time so its hard to remember but I have changed it a few times over the years and I agree it can have a bad effect on you, just take it easy and listen to your body until the meds have settled, you don't want your anxiety to get worse .
    Its good that you where able to go out and enjoy the gym and had someone supportive to go with.
    Focus on the things you are managing to do each day, no matter how small. Even write them down each day; I walked the dog, I did laundry, I had a shower etc
    You might find that the initial side effects of the drugs change; eg some days you are dizzy, another day you might be hyper etc but it should even out after a while. If it doesn't then you may need to try a different dose or a different drug.
    The sleep thing is frustrating , I have problems with sleep too and I end up having to take naps during the day which isn't ideal. But maybe at this stage you should do what you need to do to manage both the symptoms of your illness and the side effects from the drugs.
    I think there will be ways to tackle the sleep problems, when the drugs start working you may find it improves or maybe some kind of course will help, stress management, mindfulness, massage , that kind of thing.
    In the meantime you should try and implement what is called 'sleep hygiene'.
    http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/ask-the-expert/sleep-hygiene
    http://www.patient.co.uk/health/insomnia-poor-sleep
    I try and do this as much as possible and it can help but only up to a point as my mind just won't wind down.
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you think that may be helpful.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Turns out there is a known link between the oft pushed "low fat diet" and mental health problems. Depression in particular.
    The brain needs fat to function properly.
    Pharmaceutical companies love low fat diets. It helps them sell drug to treat depression and high cholesterol.

Multiple articles can be found.
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200304/the-risks-low-fat-diets
    http://health.learninginfo.org/mental-illness-modern-diet.htm
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=60

More general nutrion related links to mental health as well.
    http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/help-information/mental-health-a-z/D/diet/
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I was attending hospital 5 days a week for many years for treatment for mental health problems and when I was discharged I started going to the gym to replace the routine of going to hospital. And I've found it has been a very positive move and I'm really please that more than a year half later I have stuck with it and it is now part of my lifestyle.
    I put on a lot of weight a few years ago due to a mix of mental illness and medication to combat it and I'm now losing the weight.
    I've made friends at the gym, which means I am less isolated and diet and exercise gives me a focus which can help with intrusive thoughts etc
    One thing I have found is that the physical effects of having mental health problems tends to get over looked as well as the side effects of medication.
    It just seems to mess with everything- I have migraines, heavy limbs, muscle pain, vertigo, fatigue and I always look exhausted.

Congratulations, Honsi!
  • saoirse32
    saoirse32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been on medication a really long time so its hard to remember but I have changed it a few times over the years and I agree it can have a bad effect on you, just take it easy and listen to your body until the meds have settled, you don't want your anxiety to get worse .
    Its good that you where able to go out and enjoy the gym and had someone supportive to go with.
    Focus on the things you are managing to do each day, no matter how small. Even write them down each day; I walked the dog, I did laundry, I had a shower etc
    You might find that the initial side effects of the drugs change; eg some days you are dizzy, another day you might be hyper etc but it should even out after a while. If it doesn't then you may need to try a different dose or a different drug.
    The sleep thing is frustrating , I have problems with sleep too and I end up having to take naps during the day which isn't ideal. But maybe at this stage you should do what you need to do to manage both the symptoms of your illness and the side effects from the drugs.
    I think there will be ways to tackle the sleep problems, when the drugs start working you may find it improves or maybe some kind of course will help, stress management, mindfulness, massage , that kind of thing.
    In the meantime you should try and implement what is called 'sleep hygiene'.
    http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/ask-the-expert/sleep-hygiene
    http://www.patient.co.uk/health/insomnia-poor-sleep
    I try and do this as much as possible and it can help but only up to a point as my mind just won't wind down.
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you think that may be helpful.

Hi,

Thanks for your post and links which I will read later.

I made it to the gym this morning but I really had to talk myself into going but glad I did, however, I sweated buckets, I do sweat at the gym but this was awful, I have noticed that my temp has gone through the roof during the night due to the meds but hadn't really suffered during the day much. I am aiming to go the gym again tomorrow morning so fingers crossed, will keep you posted.

FR sent as well :D
  • honsi
    Options

Congratulations, Honsi!
    thanks!
  • honsi
    Options
    Turns out there is a known link between the oft pushed "low fat diet" and mental health problems. Depression in particular.
    The brain needs fat to function properly.
    Pharmaceutical companies love low fat diets. It helps them sell drug to treat depression and high cholesterol.

Multiple articles can be found.
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200304/the-risks-low-fat-diets
    http://health.learninginfo.org/mental-illness-modern-diet.htm
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=60

More general nutrion related links to mental health as well.
    http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/help-information/mental-health-a-z/D/diet/
    yes its true there is a big link between low cholesterol /low fat diets and depression, the cells in the body need a layer of healthy fat including cholesterol and a layer of water to function properly. I looked into it myself a few years ago to try and find ways to improve my mental health through nutrition.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have had severe anxiety my entire life, and although I still struggle with it in many ways I really think MFP has helped me to get a handle on stress eating and comfort eating.
  • cpego1
    cpego1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes I can, I am tired all of the time.
    I have done some testing to try and tell me what the issues are. I am getting a sleep study completed soon. I also have to taken medication for mental illness and it one of the side affects was weight gain. (not all the medicines fault). I have osteoarthritis in my knees and everything I get up my knees hurt. I have stopped working out for the moment and I am working with a dietician to try to get my diet taken care of first and see what some of the test that have taken will tell them.
    Add my as a friend. I will happily support and motivate you!
    Cassi
    :smile:
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    yes, i do believe that having a mental illness can lead to poor physical health, i see it a lot in my clients and saw it with myself.
    that's great that you have the gym to help aid you in your recovery. best of luck!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    yes, i do believe that having a mental illness can lead to poor physical health, i see it a lot in my clients and saw it with myself.
    that's great that you have the gym to help aid you in your recovery. best of luck!

Im walking proof...was put on a first round of meds for clinical depression/generalized anxiety and I gained about 30 pounds on top of the 20 initial pounds gained from the depression. I craved salty and sugar foods like nobodys business and sadly, caved into those cravings. It was horrible. I stopped the medication because the weight gain was causing me to become more depressed and felt like I was worse off than from when I started. After stopping the meds I swore I wouldn't take them again. Well...I couldnt handle the depression as it crept on me again so Im trying a different medication which so far, I cant complain. My weight has stayed the same and now Im motivated to do things...not 100% but better off than where I was before.

Friend request me if you'd like..I know its always helpful to surround yourself with people who understand :flowerforyou:
  • kmmoreland
    Options
    I'm recovering from depression and anxiety and I pretty much didn't leave the house for most of January and then forced myself to leave the house and go for a walk every day. Even if it was just into town and back. This was also when I started on MFP and wanted the extra calories. I found it good for my mental health - just getting out and breathing fresh air, not being in the same 4 walls, making a decision and seeing through, sense of achievement. All really small things but huge achievements for me back then.

I am in your position right now though I've been pretty much homebound for years due to a combination of anxiety issues with being in public and being without transportation as a stay at home mom without a lot of cash. The temptation to snack is overwhelming sometimes but I am trying to throw out all of the "bad" food my ex kept around and surround myself with healthy things. I'm also trying to walk at least 30 minutes a day, which as you said is a small amount but it gets me out there, breathing fresh air and saying hello to people, which is something I desperately need to do. Hopefully this is just the start of me reclaiming my once very active life. I wish you the best on your journey.
  • kmmoreland
    Options
    Also if anyone here has been on Paxil how has it impacted your efforts? I just started a few weeks ago and my pdoc was concerned maybe I might have to switch to Wellbutrin if starting a weight loss program. Anyone else do that?
  • jamie88moore
    jamie88moore Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    hi guys...please friend me do to mental illness...im am so glad someone wrote about this...I was diagnosed 20 yrs ago and I have to take 4 meds....im also a addict/alcoholic...sober 5yrs.....I am an expert..SERIOUSLY...in these areas and trying to get healthy and eat right in the middle of depression or panick attacks.....I also just had a lot of episodes this year do to my hormones being out of wack.....let alone trying to lose the 30 lbs I gained from meds in first place......today I feel great....due to excercising and eating right...it really does do a lot...please contact me...im a sponsor here at home for recovering addicts and for mental issues.....