Macro ratio

Options
Anyone have suggestions on macro ratio for 220lb male I've been doing 40/40/20

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Has 40/40/20 been working for you? Unless you're experiencing issues there's no reason to change it outside of a medical condition. What's your goal? Lose weight? Bulk up? Not enough info here to give sound advice.
  • brandonwattenbarger9
    Options
    @CoffeeNCardio my goal is to lose weight im at 220lbs that's a hell of alot of protein im taking in I was wondering if I could lower it?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    Well, as an adult male i would caution you against lowering your protein too much while you're in a deficit. You're going to lose lean body mass while in a deficit. There's nothing can be done to stop that, but you can reduce how much muscle you'll lose by strength training and maintaining adequate protein intake. The typical calculation used for protein is to eat .8-1g of protein for every pound of weight. For you that means 176 on the low end to 220 on the higher end, so you're already under that based on your diary. There are some sources stating that .8-1 is actually a high estimate, but I couldn't reasonably say how reliable they are. .8-1 is commonly accepted as trustworthy. There are many benefits to increasing your protein intake as well, not the least of which is that it's more filling and provides longer-lasting fullness to battle the hunger caused by your deficit. Carbs give you quicker energy, but protein will provide longer lasting energy. And if you want to be toned at all at the end of this, protein really aught to be your higher intake value, or at least the middle of the three.

If your concern is solely weight loss, as in the number on the scale (I'd caution against this outlook, it's not very helpful or accurate compared to what you see in the mirror), then it really doesn't matter if you stick to the low end or eat 60% protein. You'll lose weight regardless as long as you maintain a caloric deficit. But if you want to preserve muscle mass so you don't look like a twig at the end of this, I'd actually up your protein intake.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    Note also that as you lose weight, that .8-1 ratio goes down. So when you get to 195lbs say, you'll be able to keep the protein percentage up without having to consume as much gram for gram.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    This is a good article explaining about protein goals and how to personalize them to meet your own overall goal.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-much-protein-per-day/
  • brandonwattenbarger9
    Options
    @jacklifts I changed to 30/40/30 does that sound about right
  • brandonwattenbarger9
    Options
    I put my protein at 172 @CoffeeNCardio
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep - try 20/20/60.