Your diet history.

Options
What types of diets have you tried in order to lose weight/fat?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    CICO.
    Calorie counting. It worked first attempt.

Cheers, h.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    CICO, Slimming world (its bizzare imo) and i eat almost paleo because it helps with my IBS- but i stil count calories with it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting + another site + focus on low fat and high fiber: Losing weight was easy, keeping it off was impossible.

Calorie counting + MFP + focus on variety and balance, real, nutritious, tasty food in appropriate portions: Losing weight was easy, keeping it off is effortless.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've tried restricting certain macronutrients and ingredients with no real attention to calories. Had I paid more attention to calories, and had some basis of quantifying the amount of exercise I was doing versus the amount of calories I should eat to continue exercising with that intensity/frequency, I probably would've had an easier time keeping up with an exercise regimen.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting was my first and last. :)
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Weight management is a binary approach to health and just looking at calories is similarly binary.

I wanted an overall approach to great health and sustainability. Being mindful of things that promote vitamins and minerals, organ health, blood flow, brain power, skin and hair, etc. as well as weight.

To achieve that, I just stick to basics. Fruits, veggies, nuts, tea, whey, almond milk. That sums it up fairly. I never feel weighed down. Always have great durability/stamina. No cravings - every meal is like dessert.

Never really deviated from that. It has always worked so never found the need to change.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What have I tried? Let's see

1) Weightwatchers - worked, lost around 22lbs, put it back on
    2) Weightwatchers again - worked but less, lost around 14lbs put it back on
    3) Slimming World - worked, lost, put it back on and more
    - see the picture?
    4) Low Carb - general - worked - crashed and burned
    5) Atkins specific - see above
    6) Keto - worked, hated it - crashed and burned
    7) Harcombe - worked - tried it twice, diminishing returns - put it back on and more
    8) Slimfast - yuk .. but stuck with it for a couple of weeks then wanted to vomit
    9) Buying in weightwatchers meals - didn't work - hated it
    I'm sure there's more - I have about 30 years yo-yo history following programme, after fad, after restriction, after programme after fad

What has worked?

Throwing it all out as it was focusing on the small details rather than the one important thing

CI<CO and daily logging and getting more active

53lbs lost since May 2014, maintenance since February 2015
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Some fad diets when I was younger because my friends were doing it, but it wasn't serious and I always regained. Things like grapefruit diet, cabbage soup diet..etc

When I got diagnosed with prediabetes I went on a general low carb diet, was a horrible fit so I didn't last. Attempted keto, was an even more horrible fit.

Said screw it and started counting calories instead, worked brilliantly.

Discovered calorie management schedules that help me regulate my calories like weekly budgets and intermittent fasting while still counting calories religiously, still works brilliantly but feels easier for me.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Cabbage soup diet for about 3 days. Still do it once in a while. Cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, veggie broth, onions, garlic.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Cabbage soup diet for about 3 days. Still do it once in a while. Cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, veggie broth, onions, garlic.

I am going to try to make this soup in a decent sized batch sometime soon. Thank you for the recipe idea lol. Having multiple course meals is quite pleasing, for me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    I've used CICO, as necessary, since I was about 17 years old ... long, long time ago.

I was counting calories back in the day where I had to scrounge up the amount of calories in foods, and the amount of calories various exercises burned, through magazines, books, doctor's offices, etc. ... and write them all down in a notebook every day.

When computers came along, I started tracking in an spreadsheet ... Lotus 123 at first, IIRC, and then Excel. My first online calculator was Fit Day ... then I tried a program we were given in a Health and Fitness class I took in uni ... then Daily Plate. And now MFP.
  • mrtastybutt
    mrtastybutt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've logged calories ever since I can remember. I had spirals and spirals of notebooks filled with entries. Restriction was always my diet of choice. Although I can remember trying Slimfast back in the 80's when Oprah made a big deal about it. Wow, that was nasty. The first time I had BK was after I got a job and could buy it since my mom refused to because it was too fatty. Then I found out how fattening it was, so I would buy it and chew it up and spit it back out into the bag. I did that for a lot of the things that were new to me.

I didn't really try a lot of diets though. At least none that I remember.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Atkins, low fat, low carb, cabbage soup, supplements, weight watchers. Now I'm working on a balanced whole foods approach and watching macros and micros. So far I'm satisfied and losing weight.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    In high school I tried atkins, worked some but I couldnt maintain it and the weight came right back. In college I tried to just "eat healthier" by including more fruits and veggies, but didnt log anything. I used to be extremely opposed to calorie counting or any hard and fast rules in diets, I just wanted to generally "eat better". But nothing ever had real success for me until I joined mfp two years ago and buckled down. Turns out I need hard and fast rules to actually stick to something. Plus in calorie counting you can still eat whatever you want, in moderation
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    Doing half an hour or 45 minutes on a cross trainer each second day and wondering why it didn't help.
    Doing boxing/cross fit and spinning each 2 times per week, eating more and wondering why it didn't work
    Reading here and decided to do it properly.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I think I've tried just about everything at one point... Atkins (low-carb), low-fat, super low-calorie, Hollywood Diet, South Beach diet, Weight Watchers, Cabbage Soup... you get the point.
    The weird thing is that I've never been more than 15 lbs overweight (except pregnancy). I just unfortunately yo-yo like crazy.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Starving myself and only eating dinner never worked, 5:2 diet lasted a few weeks lost a couple pounds, slim fast didn't work and special k diet lasted maybe a day with that, lol. My weight has always yo-yo'd. I have tried calorie counting tons of times on this site and another site. This is the first time I have actually made significant progress. Now is the smallest I have ever been, not really sure what made it stick this time around.
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I tried exercising, a lot, and eating as I pleased. Gained weight.
    Tried low calorie diets 1200 or less, couldn't last.
    I tried 5:2 for 6 weeks, it worked, but I dreaded the fasting days, they were so hard, and I couldn't do it anymore.
    Now, i'm doing CICO. The first 2 months were just a learning experience. I logged most everything, and learned how much I really ate. I started making small changes. Now, I'm staying within my calorie goals 95% of the time, and have been steadily losing 1-2 lbs a week. I've changed my eating habits over the last three months to include more protein, veg, nuts etc, less fried food a little less bread and wine, and it's finally paying off. I'm losing without hunger. I check in to the MFP community to keep motivated.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I've tried it all! Most work in some way or another...IF you stick to it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Good old fashioned semi-starvation diet as a kid. It worked...then calorie counting to maintain it...then no calorie counting while pregnant and getting super fat...then calorie counting AND WW at the same time to lose that baby weight...then calorie counting to maintain and/or lose a little more. I basically have stayed pretty much the same weight (plus or minus 10lbs) from 17-34 with the exception of one year where I looked amazing because I lifted and ran a lot, and that pregnancy year and subsequent year of loss. That's the place where I want to be, but I just don't put in enough effort.