Scared of the scale

Options
I don't own a scale but I want one but then I talk myself out of buying one because I know I'll become obsessed with weighing myself. Anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You don't need one, you could just use a measuring tape.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh every day because it would make me crazy.

If weighing everyday will be a problem for you then using an outside scale is probably the way to go.

Is there a scale you can access sometimes easily? Maybe at a gym?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i happen to disagree, if your goal is to lose weight, you need one, or access to one on a regular basis. its just information and the only way to know if your really making progress. and its much more "real time" than a measuring tape.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    if your goal is to lose weight, you need one, or access to one on a regular basis.

Don't disagree with that at all. Just saying if OP can weight at the gym, or even weekly at a drugstore or some such, then it won't be so easy to obsess with constant scale hopping.

Some people are fine with daily weighing and even use a trend tracking app. Others just stress over the little fluctuations.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Just measure yourself instead then. :) or go by how your clothes feel. If your clothes are getting looser, you know your doing it right.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you know you have an issue with it becoming a fixation, maybe you could arrange with a friend to use their scale occasionally. A gym scale would work too. The drug store is another option but you really want to try to weigh under similar conditions each time (otherwise a heavy jacket or something could obscure weeks of progress). And they get upset if you try to get naked at the drugstore, go figure.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a day. It keeps me motivated. It's all about what helps you.
  • c_pantojas
    c_pantojas Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you know you have an issue with it becoming a fixation, maybe you could arrange with a friend to use their scale occasionally. A gym scale would work too. The drug store is another option but you really want to try to weigh under similar conditions each time (otherwise a heavy jacket or something could obscure weeks of progress). And they get upset if you try to get naked at the drugstore, go figure.

Lmbo
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    If it is an issue, don't get a scale. There are lots of other options as to where you can weigh yourself over longer periods. Instead, if it won't cause a problem, measure yourself every 3 or so weeks, or take photos, or just go by how your cloths fit.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale every time I walk by it. I find it interesting to see how much my weight fluctuates throughout the day. I record my morning wake up weight and use that as my mental weight. Unless you're going to beat yourself up over natural daily weight changes buy the scale. Buy a cheap one if you start feeling bad about your relationship with the scale throw it in the trash.
  • c_pantojas
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    I don't weigh every day because it would make me crazy.

If weighing everyday will be a problem for you then using an outside scale is probably the way to go.

Is there a scale you can access sometimes easily? Maybe at a gym?

Yes that's what I've been doing so I'll stick to that
  • c_pantojas
    Options
    All great tips. Thanks everyone