Vitamin

What's the best vitamin product? My vitamin intake is low for Vitamin A, C and D? Food suggestions as well as Vitamin supplements welcomed. Thanks

Replies

• JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    If youre taking a vitamin for general health rather than a diagnosed deficit, I would always go with a multivitamin, because specific vitamin supplements, such as just vitamin D, often have way more than your daily recommended amount,which you dont need unless a doctor said so and in some cases can be bad for your health. Generic grocery store brand multivitamin is most cost effective and does just fine.
    As far as food sources- vitamin C and A come from mostly fruits and veggies. Carrots and squash (really most orange veggies) are huge in vitamin A. Citrus and strawberries have lots of Vitamin C. Colorful produce is often higher in vitamins.
    Vitamin D comes from fortified milk, lots of types of fish, egg yolks, and of course the sun :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    For vitamins A and C, the best foods are the colorful veggies and citrus fruits. For A, eat things like carrots, dark leafy greens (spinach, kale, etc), red bell peppers (green peppers are good, red are higher), sweet potatoes, mango, cantalope, dried apricots. Many of these also have good amounts of vitamin C as well as citrus fruit, tomatoes, kiwi, guava, and even broccoli and cauliflower.

You can get vitamin D from drinking milk and spending time in the sunshine. Assuming that is you in the photo, people of African descent need more sunshine that those with European ancestry. The darker skin pigments reduce the production of Vitamin D. Talk to your doctor about the amount of a supplement, if indicated.

For supplements, most of the brand names you find in the drugstore will be good. Just be careful with Vitamin A. That is one that is fat soluble, therefore it can build up in your body. Unless your doctor has told you to go high potency, just find one that delivers 100% of the RDA. That, plus food, is very unlikely to be too much. Vitamin C is water soluble so you just pee out the excess, which also means you should try to get some every day.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    What about a simple men's daily multivitamin?
  • B49ej
    B49ej Posts: 5 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    For vitamins A and C, the best foods are the colorful veggies and citrus fruits. For A, eat things like carrots, dark leafy greens (spinach, kale, etc), red bell peppers (green peppers are good, red are higher), sweet potatoes, mango, cantalope, dried apricots. Many of these also have good amounts of vitamin C as well as citrus fruit, tomatoes, kiwi, guava, and even broccoli and cauliflower.

You can get vitamin D from drinking milk and spending time in the sunshine. Assuming that is you in the photo, people of African descent need more sunshine that those with European ancestry. The darker skin pigments reduce the production of Vitamin D. Talk to your doctor about the amount of a supplement, if indicated.

For supplements, most of the brand names you find in the drugstore will be good. Just be careful with Vitamin A. That is one that is fat soluble, therefore it can build up in your body. Unless your doctor has told you to go high potency, just find one that delivers 100% of the RDA. That, plus food, is very unlikely to be too much. Vitamin C is water soluble so you just pee out the excess, which also means you should try to get some every day.

Thanks this is great info! Yes that's me in the photo
  • B49ej
    B49ej Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks to you all! Appreciate the info
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    My advice is similar. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Bright orange veggies will be higher in vitamin A. Peppers and the citrus fruits are high in vitamin C.

Vitamins A and D (fat soluble) fortify milk, so milk is good.

A men's multivitamin and additional vitamin D will help. I like to split my vitamin D pills in to morning and night, as the body can only use so much at a time.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Definitely supplement the vitamin D. The RDA's that the FDA comes up with are so pathetically low it's laughable. You can not get your RDA from food and I don't know where you're from but where I live 6 months out of the year it's winter and I'm not in the sun. I get around 8,000 IU's of vitamin D a day and the last time I got my blood work done it was still on the low side. Vitamin D is a huge one to supplement if your levels are low. It's one of the the most important vitamins your body needs.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2016
    This content has been removed.