Wanted to cry last night

Options
Sorry, just feeling down and disappointed. :( Need a little encouragement.

Before leaving work they started putting out donuts..well the donut holes and I said no, I won't do it. I walked away but came back around and did it anyway...And not just one, like 3. Not awful. i even logged them. But I got home, had some soup, felt full. Within an hour I went into the box of chocolates and picked up about 3...that wasn't enough. picked up another 3-4 more. The same box of chocolate I wanted to throw out but couldn't I ate the chocolates and laid in my bed, overly full and now uncomfortable. I wondered why? Why didn't I, couldn't I control myself? I've been feeling so defeated these past few days. I know today is another day but why I do I take 1 step to my goals and 2 steps back?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    When I do something like that (which happens more than I would like to admit), the thing I have found that works best is to go back and log everything I ate the previous day. Usually it's not quite as bad as I think. Plus, it allows me to make allowances in the following days to work off the extra calories.

You can do this! Good luck!
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem here. Just eat them and as long as you're within your calorie goal, it's all good.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. We all have tough days and have to face the fact that this isn't easy. If it were easy we wouldn't need to be here, supporting each other. Yes, you ate too much and yes, it felt like crap. And today is a new day and it will be a better day. Next time you get that urge just try to remember how you felt last night, it may help sway you in the other direction. If not, log what you ate and move on. One day or night of overeating does not have to derail all of your progress. Look at your calorie and macro average for the week, you may not be as bad as you thought.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I do this every weekend. I eat healthy and exercise and lose a pound or two during the week. Then, on the weekends I eat too much and gain it back. I've thought a lot about why I do this and don't have a firm answer. I don't think it is solely a lack of willpower. Probably because I have many reasons for overeating. Most of them come down to living in the moment. It's so hard to think about how this will impact future you when current you needs some comfort and chocolate is right there.

The worst thing is, once I go over my calories I always feel like it turns the whole day into a cheat day and I just go wild. I quit smoking after a pack a day for 10 years. Surely, I can do this. I do take it one day at a time. No need for guilt. That's counter productive. Today, I'm going to try and save 200 calories for a treat. I've got some pretzel m&m's at home or maybe a nice beer. I'm going to run a couple of miles to earn the extra calories for them.

Maybe budget some calories for your chocolates tonight and eat them when you aren't really that hungry so that it's easier to stop. People keep telling me that will power gets easier the more you use it.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I have a good suggestion, but I can totally relate. I have done similar things many, many times. (My own temptation yesterday was massive blocks of cheese someone brought into the office. I did not give in but I really, really wanted to. Cheese is my first weakness, chocolates are my second...)

In those instances when I fail, I usually reevaluate my strategy. There is *something* leading up to my discouragement every time. Perhaps there is some stressor in my life (my dog was very sick for a good portion of last year, plus I moved and had to sell a condo, or the year before that, my car engine died in the middle of an intersection and I took a financial hit getting a new car, or there was 2012 when I got my PhD but had no job prospects for a few tense months) that I am not dealing with appropriately. Perhaps I have not been seeing good numbers on the scale lately. Perhaps I have adopted a diet strategy that is too restrictive and has left me feeling deprived. Etc.

Anyway, I find that dealing with those issues helps with resisting temptation. But I also think it is sometimes difficult to recognize them at the time.

At any rate, today is a new day and a fresh opportunity. Best of luck to you.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    As said by others, don't beat yourself up. First, it is one day, and not even the whole day. You didn't get fat in one day, and with what you listed you may have, at most, put on maybe half a pound of actual fat. Your weight may go up more, it is water weight increase. Second, log it all as it will give you a better idea of how many calories over you are, and remember, it is not the amount over your calorie goal that is important but how much over your maintenance calories you are. Only going over maintenance will result in fat increase. Third, today is a new day. Put yesterday behind you, and learn from it. As I said at the beginning, you didn't get fat in one day, and one day will not ruin what you have achieved. Now get back at it.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I totally, totally understand your fight with this...I actually posted on the motivation forum last week (you can probably still find it) a post called Dear Will Power. Losing weight isn't easy, but even if you take a step forward, and another step back, you are slowly still moving forward, and that's important to remember. Everyone slips up, but you can get yourself back on track, I promise!
    Other things to think about...what is your motivation for wanting to get healthy? If you can really grab onto that, and think about it whenever you want to cheat, or have a little extra, or are feeling lazy and it will help you to make a better choice.
    Good luck, and keep your chin up!
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    The worst thing is, once I go over my calories I always feel like it turns the whole day into a cheat day and I just go wild.

THIS ^ This is my downfall EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying this for everyone....but for me...and maybe some others...

It took me about 2 years of trying to stop overeating to finally realize that...for me...sugar leads to sugar which leads to more sugar.

That binge cycle happened so often that I was constantly eating too much and it was impossible to lose weight.

I know there are lots of folks here who will say sugar is not bad for you, just log it and move on, but for me it really is like an addiction.

I had to start really thinking that first bite through carefully. When I do have a sweet treat, I have to conciously remember, all the way into the next day, to control my urge to have more.

Before I take an unplanned doughnut or piece of candy I remember how it makes me feel physically and emotionally when I lose control. I remember how long it takes to feel good again and how much better I will feel if I make a better choice.

I am also careful to carry better choices with me, a protein bar, nut bar, yougurt, nutbutter and fruit, for example. They are a little sweet but also have fat and protein that help me feel full.

If I am going to go over on my calories, I am way better off if I make a careful choice of the snack. Once I start grabbing stuff and putting it in my mouth, it is very hard to stop.

I can't say that I never make a bad choice now, but it happens WAY less often and I don't beat myself up about it anymore and I can just log it and move on.

I understand the feeling of not being able to control yourself and the guilt of knowing that you at sabotaging your own efforts. I hope that my experience will give you some insight into your problem and help you fix it.

xx
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »

It took me about 2 years of trying to stop overeating to finally realize that...for me...sugar leads to sugar which leads to more sugar.

That binge cycle happened so often that I was constantly eating too much and it was impossible to lose weight.

I know there are lots of folks here who will say sugar is not bad for you, just log it and move on, but for me it really is like an addiction.

I had to start really thinking that first bite through carefully. When I do have a sweet treat, I have to conciously remember, all the way into the next day, to control my urge to have more.

Before I take an unplanned doughnut or piece of candy I remember how it makes me feel physically and emotionally when I lose control. I remember how long it takes to feel good again and how much better I will feel if I make a better choice.

I am also careful to carry better choices with me, a protein bar, nut bar, yougurt, nutbutter and fruit, for example. They are a little sweet but also have fat and protein that help me feel full.

If I am going to go over on my calories, I am way better off if I make a careful choice of the snack. Once I start grabbing stuff and putting it in my mouth, it is very hard to stop.

I can't say that I never make a bad choice now, but it happens WAY less often and I don't beat myself up about it anymore and I can just log it and move on.

I understand the feeling of not being able to control yourself and the guilt of knowing that you at sabotaging your own efforts. I hope that my experience will give you some insight into your problem and help you fix it.

xx
    I try to limit the heavily refined carbs and sugar as well. I just don't go down that path.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »

I know there are lots of folks here who will say sugar is not bad for you, just log it and move on, but for me it really is like an addiction. xx

Yes! I believe 100% in food addictions! For me, it isn't sugar, it's carbs/salt...It IS truly like a drug addiction!
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Well my stressor is that Tuesday night I had a car accident. I had ate well all day and was on my way home to change and head to the gym when it happened. It felt like an excuse. i went home, ate well but had some chocolate. Almost like it would make me feel better. yesterday, same thing, went home (had eaten well all day) was sore from teh accident. had dinner but then had a bunch of chocolates. It was like self loathing.....I'm seeing that I need to find a better way to deal with the stress